Favorite Movies

I did a search and we don’t have an all inclusive favorite movies thread. There are threads asking people to list top 5 comedies, most important movies, and ofcourse superheroes but not a general thread. I’ll admit, this thread is a bit narcissistic since my taste in pop culture is being called into question thanks to threads such as this one: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=53505

My tastes may in fact suck but I should be derided for films I ACTUALLY like. I made a list of my 100 favorite movies. I put them in alphabetical order. Trying to rank them would fry my brain. I invite others to follow suit, though I realize listing 100 movies is probably a bit much.

One thing I noticed looking at my own list is I either stopped watching or stopped liking movies around 10 years ago.

A Night at the Opera
Addams Family Values
After hours
Airplane!
Alien
Amélie
An American Warewolf in London
Andromeda Strain (1971)
Angel Heart
Back to the Future
Barefoot in the Park (1967)
Beetlejuice
Being There
Blade Runner
Blazing Saddles
Brazil
Casnio Royale (2006)
Christine (1983)
Clue
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Death on the Nile (1978)
Death Race (1975)
Death Trap (1982)
Diamonds are Forever
Dirty Harry
Escape from New York
Fargo
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Fort Apache the Bronx
Fright Night
Galaxy Quest
Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)
Goodfellas
Gremlins
Groundhog Day
Halloween (1978)
High Fidelity
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Jaws
Kentucky Fried Movie
L.A. Confidential
Little Big Man
Logan’s Run
Meatballs (1979)
My Dinner with Andre
My Favorite Year
Neighbors
Office Space
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Pulp Fiction
Radio Days
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Repo Man
Road to Zanzibar
Rollerball (1975)
Serial Mom
Slaughterhouse-Five
Soylent Green
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
Superman (1978)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
The Apartment
The Bellboy
The Big Red One
The Blues Brothers
The End (1978)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Goodbye Girl (1977)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
The King of Comedy
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Matrix
The Mouse That Roared
The Odd Couple (1968)
The Princess Bride
The Shining (1980)
The Thin Man
The Thing (1982)
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules
The War of the Roses
The World Accoriding to Garp
Throw Mama From the Train
Time After Time
Time Bandits
Top Secret
Tron
Twelve monkeys
Una pura formalità
Unbreakable
Unforgiven
War of the Worlds (1953)
Westworld
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
You Only Live Twice
Young Frankenstein

How do you even do this? Do you keep a running list and update it after every new movie you see?

Anyway, your taste in movies is fine, in a very vanilla 70’s rock radio station kind of way.

Salò.

Best in Show
Glengary Glenross

The fact that you have Death Race (1975) on there gets you a couple of points in my book.

You have no idea. I have lists of lists. As for this list, I just thought of movies I’ve watched a bunch of times, probably own on DVD, and that I liked. I started out with the excel spreadsheet of my DVD collection and worked from there.

Your list has Tron on it. End of Line.

I can’t do one hundred, but I can do ten. These are the movies I can watch over and over, the ones that if somebody puts them in I feel compelled to watch until the end:

Fellini’s Amarcord

The Big Sleep

The Road Warrior

Singin’ In The Rain

2001: A Space Odyssey

Sullivan’s Travels

Evil Dead II

Brazil

Raging Bull

Pulp Fiction

Yay, a nice midweek list thread to ponder. It’s 80s action movies for me.

Aliens
Terminator
Predator
Road Warrior
Robocop
First Blood

Throw Heat and Blade Runner in and pretty much every other great movie registers about the same to me on a level below this list. No particular reason why; they are just my favorites I can watch over and over and geek out about to friends who may have missed one.

My only regret is I never caught Commando during my formative 80s action movie phase, so it doesn’t hold its likely deserved place in my heart. Who knows though, it is a little goofy and low-budget even for that genre.

I tooled around with Flickchart for a while and it got pretty close. I can do ten, too, probably:

Some like it Hot
I know where I’m going!
The Lady Vanishes
The Apartment
Brief Encounter
Children of Men
It Happened One night
The Philadelphia Story
Whichever Pixar movie is my favorite at the moment.
Spirited Away

As best as I can recall, since I love good movies in general. Top ten in immediate memory, not rated by overall quality of plot, just on how much I liked them!

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Children of Men
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Godfather
The Godfather Part 2
Jaws
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Goodwill Hunting
American History X
The Shawshank Redemption

Copied from my FaceBook page. In no particular order, except 21 Grams which is my favourite movie.

21 Grams
Hard Candy
Naked
The Conversation
Alien
Goodfellas
The Hours
Sexy Beast
The Ice Storm
Withnail and I
Fight Club
Syriana
Unforgiven
Dead Ringers
Memento
Léolo
The Battle of Algiers
Kingdom of Heaven
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Your Friends And Neighbors
Boogie Nights
32 Short Films About Glenn Gould
The Remains Of The Day
Apocalypse Now
Traffic
Badlands
The Thin Red Line
The Lookout

Yeah, whatever.

Rather than add to my pitifully small list I would instead throw out the question

Does a favorite movie have to be one that you have seen over and over again? My fear is that I would put some beret wearing favorites on thier that I have only seen once and then get called ot for not remembering dialogue or a subtle scene specifics.

Can the favorite status be bestowed on a movie you have only seen once?

If so I am totally adding The Fountain…maybe not for the movie itself but the suspended feeling I had while watching it

Oh hell yes. Some movies are just designed that way. They pack their punch only on the first viewing. Seven is like that. One of my favorite movies of all time, and I’ve only seen it once, and don’t really have a desire to see it again, especially since I’m afraid that a second viewing would only diminish it in my eyes, like it did for the Sixth Sense, which was a mind-blowingly good movie experience for me, but I definitely shouldn’t have watched it a second time.

My favourite movie of all time is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

The pitch-perfect comedic timing, Ferris’ general attitude towards life, the character development of Jeanie, the scene with Jeanie and Charlie Sheen at the police station, what Ferris does at the end when he runs past the two girls in lounge chairs, the parking attendants, the museum scenes, Cameron in his car at the beginning, the sounds Ferris has programmed into his microcomputer, the song of Cameron, the several distinct sounds Cameron makes – and the fact it took me several viewings to realize that the movie is Cameron’s story. It’s all about him.

Oh, and Mia Sara. And Ferris. And the song on the parade float! And the gummi bears!

Sigh.

I could go on, you know.

I can’t find it right now but I read there is an opinion on Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is Cameron delusion. Ferris is just his imaginary friend. Doesn’t really work for me.

Personally, I feel like some of these longer lists are so long that favorite doesn’t seem to describe them too well. Too inclusive. Having said that, my top 500 are:

The Third Man
8 1/2
Godfather 1 and 2
The Thin Red Line
Empire Strikes Back
Citizen Kane
The Insider
The Lives of Others
Blade Runner
The Cross of Iron

edit: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

And there are a few others I could probably throw in there once I saw my collection at home.

Like a Fight Club thing? Film nerds can come up with anything! Although I try to argue Aliens is a chick flick about two mothers, so I’m no better.

Hey, that’s so true! Sign me up for that micro-cult.