Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)

That’s kind of the weird thing here – I’m not sure that I would choose to leave my home in a ZA situation and I don’t think I’m atypical.

I mean, sure I would if I knew that it was going to wipe out humanity and everything… I’d head for a boat ASAP. But in the case of this particular zombie apocalypse and specifically in the zombie-ignorant LA that we’ve been shown, I don’t really think the populace (even Travis & Co.) really got that “Oh God, we must flee!” message; we never heard the government send out an evacuation order or anything, did we? And Travis’ folk were portrayed as being more “in the know” than anyone other than cops, right? So I’m not sure when this alleged mass-flight from the cities would have happened… probably somewhere in the “lost” nine days.

In any event, if I thought there were rabid folks roaming the streets biting people, taking my family out of our (supposedly) secure home and hitting those same streets might not be all that appealing.

I guess if the news said it was a virulent disease that you could catch with proximity, then yes, I’d try to get my clan to a less-populated area… and based on the hideous masks that those two moppets were wearing in the car back in episode 3 (?), perhaps that was the working hypothesis for some folks. But again,we the audience were never shown any indication that was a widespread belief.

Brain-dead writing indeed.

Leaving out a government issued evacuation order, I’d be inclined to leave the area for food/power/water related reasons. No electricity means no refrigeration. Meanwhile, whether the people knew it or not, no major food shipments are coming in anymore. What’s in the distribution centers waiting to be trucked to the stores is it, besides what’s on the shelves already. Add maybe not being able to call anyone, even 911 for the dead body buried in your yard and the question is “Why am I still here?”. How long will the water hold out if you have no electricity or phone service? Not long I bet. Almost all this stuff happened before the 9 days. Travis and his group were leaving, they only stopped because the military guys showed up right at that moment. Travis moves slow in his decision making, so if HE was willing to leave then, I imagine huge amounts of smarter people were already gone.

I’m going to argue because I’m bored, not really because I disagree with everything here. Personally, I’d high-tail it out of the city with my family, but ONLY because I have access to a country house with a well, a lake full of fish, and pretty decent locks. Taking my family out into the woods/desert/mountains with a tent and some cans wouldn’t appeal to me in a situation where rabid crazy people are walking around… and I’m a big outdoors kind of guy.

Well, leaving ALSO means no electricity and no refrigeration… just elsewhere. And the people not realizing that the supplies were going to (theoretically) run out is a pretty big part of why I don’t think there would be a mass-exodus.

See, that’s the main part that I disagree with. Travis is an idiot, but the extended Travis clan were shown as being ahead of the game – Depp Jr. saw one of the earliest zombies, and his mother likewise saw an early zombie in the dead dealer. They are shown as trying to take action a full day before the rest of the city, but Travis foolishly gets caught in the riot and delayed for twelve hours or so.

But other than them, who are these well-informed wannabe evacuees? The cops knew (the cop giving Travis a guilty look while loading up water), and it seems like SOME medical professionals knew (“We’ve got to get this old, nearly dead guy downstairs stat!”). But that seems to be about it. Other people (e.g., the Ex-Wife and Son) seemed completely oblivious. The rioting crowds downtown certainly didn’t know anything was going on. The first indications that the end was neigh was a YouTube video… and no one believed that, apparently, because they were still renting moon-bounces later that same day. Hell, even when the army is moving in to lock everything down, people are flying in and taking cabs back to their houses.

Now I’ll argue against my own points:

1. One of the neighbors is shown readying a his SUV for a getaway at the same time Travis is planning to slink out of town. His knowing look would indicate that he too knew what was about to go down. So maybe some significant slice of the populace DID in fact know that the shit was about to hit the wind turbine and Travis’ clan is simply unpopular enough that no one wanted to warn them.

2. Everyone was keeping their kids home from school. Despite persistent references to a sickness that’s going around, we only see one person who is ill - that same neighbor, and even he may actually have been bitten. So if there isn’t a massive super-flu going around, it would imply that the people keeping their kids home are doing so because they know something bad is happening… which would mean that the gaggle of teen girls watching the YouTube video on the day before the Army rolls in would then represent the tiny subset of families who were utterly oblivious, and everyone else is clogging up the roads trying to get the hell out of Dodge.

The reason for leaving, even without a destination in mind is you know your area is screwed. For instance, if I’m in Pasadena, I might head for Santa Clarita to get out of the San Gabriel Valley that way. The people in Santa Clarita might well ask “What the hell are you coming here for? We are leaving Santa Clarita because it’s just as bad”. Yeah, well I don’t know that, but I do know Pasadena is done. I won’t know where is a good place to go until I go there, unless I get some official and trustworthy word from the authorities.

I can only imagine the mass chaos if a good chunk of L.A. all decided to start moving around on foot within the span of a few days. Assuming cars clog the roads pretty quickly, there’s just not a good reason to move on instead of staying put, especially anyone with little kids. No way could I move my wife + 2 kids across the city on foot while trying to scrounge up food/water/safe shelter and fending off looters, gangs, Tea Party crazies, etc.

I think it would be like trying to leave a stadium after a football game. The ones who leave early for some reason are in great shape, no impediments to their exit. The ones who don’t leave early but move fast the second it’s time to leave are in decent shape(Travis’s group was this type imo). They won’t get out fast, but there won’t be any jams either. The ones who take their time leaving will be stuck behind traffic, their leaving will be painfully slow. Anyone slower than that already decided leaving wasn’t a priority, they know they aren’t going anywhere.

Not to make this a P&R thread, but if a Zombie Apocalypse does occur, shouldn’t you change that to Tea Party Seers

In Houston, shortly after Katrina occurred a hurricane called Rita put the city in it’s sites. Because of the obvious incompetence displayed by the govt. in Louisiana for Katrina, officials overreacted with an abundance of caution - and Galveston Island was evacuated. People did not go far because it was unclear where it was actually going to land (storm was already turning North and it did end up way East of Houston), so Houston became very crowded.

In the last 48 hours, the storm came close enough to cause real concern and a mandatory evac was called for areas South of Houston (again abundance of caution). This is a good description from Wikipedia. As you can see, only up to 4 million people tried to leave within a 36 hour stretch. In a city where 5-lane freeways are common place, an obvious disaster unfolded, because you see, they run our of gas or don’t have a stable vehicle to flee in:

Just three weeks after Hurricane Katrina devastated the northern Gulf Coast, the threat of yet another major hurricane prompted mass evacuations in coastal Texas. An estimated 2.5 – 3.7 million people fled prior to Rita’s landfall,[40][41] making it the largest evacuation in United States’ history.[2]

Officials in Galveston County (which includes the city of Galveston), which was devastated by the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, ordered mandatory evacuations, effective September 21 at 6 p.m., in a staggered sequence. Officials designated geographical zones in the area to facilitate an orderly evacuation. People were scheduled to leave at different times over a 24-hour period depending on the zone in which the people were located. The scheduled times were set well in advance of the storm’s possible landfall later in the week, but not soon enough to ensure that all residents could evacuate safely in advance of the storm.[42] Nonetheless, many residents remained in the county because they were either unaware of the danger of the storm or believed that it was more important to protect their belongings, particularly in the wake of looting following Hurricane Katrina.[43] The evacuation included transfer of all inpatients from the University of Texas Medical Branch hospital to other regional hospitals.[44] 400 patients were prisoners under the ward of the Texas Department of Corrections.[45] These patients were systematically transferred to the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler.[46]

Officials of Harris County hoped that the designation of zones A, B, and C would help prevent bottlenecks in traffic leaving the area similar to those seen at New Orleans prior to Katrina and Hurricane Dennis earlier that year.[47] Also, people in certain zones were to be forced to go to certain cities in Texas and were not allowed to exit their designated routes except for food and gas — another feature of the evacuation plan which officials hoped would keep traffic flow orderly.

The evacuation-destination cities included Austin, College Station, San Antonio, Dallas, Huntsville, and Lufkin, Texas. Evacuees were asked to try hotels in the Midland/Odessa area when hotels began to sell out in other areas.[48]

On Wednesday, Houston mayor Bill White urged residents to evacuate the city, telling residents, “Don’t wait; the time for waiting is over,” reminding residents of the disaster in New Orleans.[49] After heavy traffic snarled roads leading out of town and gas shortages left numerous vehicles stranded, Mayor White backed off his earlier statement with, “If you’re not in the evacuation zone, follow the news,” advising people to use common sense.[49] However by 3:00 p.m. that afternoon, the freeway system in Houston was at a stand-still.[50]

To the east of Houston, officials had set up evacuation routes in response to the slow evacuation of residents prior to Hurricane Lili.[51] During the Rita evacuation, these preparations and their execution were overwhelmed by the enormous and unprecedented number of people fleeing from the Houston area prior to the departure of local residents.[42] By the time Jefferson County began their mandatory evacuation, local roads were already full of Houstonians.[52] Traffic on designated evacuation routes was forced to go far slower than the speeds experienced with any previous hurricane.[53][54]

By late Thursday (22nd) morning, the contraflow lanes had been ordered opened after officials determined that the state’s highway system had become gridlocked.[55] The Texas Department of Transportation was unprepared to execute such a large-scale evacuation.[56] Coordination and implementation of the contraflow plan took 8 to 10 hours as inbound traffic was forced to exit. Police were stationed to assist with traffic flow. Evacuees fought traffic Wednesday afternoon through mid-day Friday, moving only a fraction of the normal distance expected.[42] Average travel times to Dallas were 24–36 hours, travel times to Austin were 12–18 hours and travel times to San Antonio were 10–16 hours, depending on the point of departure in Houston.[57] Many motorists ran out of gas or experienced breakdowns in temperatures that neared 100 °F (38 °C). Gas stations reportedly ran out of gasoline, forcing some evacuees to fill up with diesel, which is incompatible with gasoline engines, enabling them to leave the area but left them with expensive car repair bills afterwards. Traffic volumes did not ease for nearly 48 hours as more than three million residents evacuated the area in advance of the storm.[42]

And Houston is a huge/spread out place. I shudder to think of the same event occurring in LA, with 15+ million people. Ultimately, the only way to get out of the city would be on foot.

Photos:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Hurricane-Rita-anxiety-leads-to-hellish-fatal-6521994.php

FtWD should have just licensed the 5th photo in that slide show and used that for the “abandoned” road scene at the end of the episode. It’s generic enough that it could be almost any highway in the nation.

Awesome link, mok! That definitely does not bode well for any upcoming zombie apocalypse. And it just goes to show how poorly thought out Fear the Walking Dead was. They even had their own piddly little gridlocked freeway scene that went nowhere.

I’m reminded of the scene in War of the Worlds where Tom Cruise escapes New York in the only working car in the world, zipping through stalled traffic on the freeway. That movie had a great sense for what would happen during a refugee crisis.

-Tom

I think of all the kinds of computer effects they use, a shot of thousands of cars just sitting there completely gridlocked would be cheap to create. It’s essentially a still image. When Strand suggests avoiding cutting through the city and going through the river, that would have made more sense if we could see nothing but motionless cars ahead of them, instead of empty streets. We’d still wonder where all the people or zombies are, but we’re left wondering that anyways. Now I’m also wondering how all the cars got out.

It was one of the reasons why I stopped watching after EP3. If things are bad enough where LAX is shutdown and people are pulling the kids out of school, then people should be leaving town en masse. And when they do that, no one goes anywhere, and cars are everywhere. and it would be a massive news story.

But then here comes the old Asian guy, “hi honey, I rented a car and drove in. I am clueless and want to give you a hug” - yeah…right.

Season 2 info and poster: Fear the Walking Dead Season 2 Spoilers: Can Strand's Boat Offer Hope?

We know we’re heading out into open water at the start of the run, but how much of the season will be set at sea, and how frequently will we be returning to land?

We make it to the yacht and our big question is “what is our final destination now?” It’s one thing to have escaped land, it’s another to think “where do we [go]” … The good thing about The Abigail is that as a boat, it’s a vessel we can live on for quite some time, which has its advantages but is also something that others might potentially envy. And what we will learn is we weren’t the only people with the bright idea to go to the water. You’ve got thousands of miles of coastline, and I think one of the interesting themes for us in the first several episodes is this question of displacement; we’ve literally watched our home be destroyed and we know we can’t go back – there’s no going home again, so where do we go? And now we’re stuck on this boat with Victor Strand who we don’t know very well, and somebody who is a bit of an enigma, so I think slowly we’ll peel that onion and get a better sense of who he is. And you also have the dynamic between the Salazars, between Ofelia and Daniel, and the Clark-Manawas, where they’re closer to each other — I think they have bonded over the past couple of weeks — but we will be playing with that question that Exner (Sandrine Holt) posed last season, “What is family? Is it blood or is it bond?” And I think that question will be tested over the course of the season stuck on the boat.

What I can tell you it is not: It is not gonna be “The Love Boat” with zombies; we’re not gonna be stopping at different ports of call. We will have a mixture of land and sea, but it will be a while before we land on a specific destination, and that’ll be part of the tension at the beginning part of the season. And the other thing is, The Abigail with a full tank of gas – which it has – can go a considerable distance. So the reality is, we could go back to Vancouver if we wanted to – or we could go to Hawaii or South America; it really opens things up in an interesting way.

Disappointed in that article. Sounds like they’ve essentially dropped the “this is the early days of the ZA” and it’s going to be “Walking Dead 2 - Dead Island”.

This show sucks but I know I’ll grab a gallon of ice-cream and some wine and quietly sob at my lack of discipline as I watch every single episode. I am AMC’s bitch.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

I’ve gotten a little “zombied out” myself-- haven’t even watched the last two episodes of TWD yet.

I still like this show better than the original Walking Dead. Guess I must just fine outbreak situations more interesting than ongoing survival ones.

Ha ha, you guys are going to watch season two of Fear the Walking Dead!

-Tom

Yup, and I’ll hate myself for it from start to finish.