Feargus Urquhart quits Interplay

http://www.rpgcodex.com/

"Rumors are true - Feargus quit ( Company news )
posted by Saint_Proverbius on Wed 16 April 2003, 20:01:11

I’ve just recieved additional confirmation on the rumors I reported about on Duck and Cover. Feargus Urquhart, head hancho and all around party fun guy, has resigned from Black Isle Studios. What’s worse is that there might be others leaving after he does.

I’d just like to take the time to say, You’re fucked now, Interplay. Congratulations, you’re pissing away the only thing left that’s made you money in the last five years.

Good luck to everyone involved, except you, Herve. Here’s to hoping France re-institutes debtor’s prison. "

In the rumor mill, it has been said that larges part of Black Isle haven’t been paid. With the huge $15 million cash payment interplay got for Hunter, it was expected that some people would get back pay. Interplay has chosen to only pay team members on colsole products and pretty much and pc game (aka Jefferson) that isn’t almost done is being canned.

Fuck. There goes the slimmest hope of Fallout 3. Is this why they gave away the Fallout Editor the other day?

I’m sure the talented people at BIS will find jobs quickly enough - it’s a credit to them that they stuck through this not-being-paid bullshit, and For Shame on their Evil Corporate Slave Lords.

Now would be a good time for Troika to make another offer for the Fallout franchise, or at least a license to use it.

There are other licenses in the genre that don’t carry as much baggage. Like Gamma World

Gamma World was cool! That was one of the first P&P rpgs I played.

Someone should do Aftermath. It was unplayable as P&P - not enough abstraction, but with a CPU to do all the hard work it would make a good, realistic post nuclear RPG engine.

Well, the setting doesn’t require a license at all. The post-nuclear holocaust world is a whole genre, not just a licensed idea. Gamma World doesn’t really have any name recognition, despite the people on this board that have played it (I put gamma world stickers…the ones you scratched on with a pencil…all over the front of my gamma world book…it added some needed color to the B&W artwork. I was only 9!).

But I like the idea of having Troika do a game like that. The mutations of GW were cool, so it would be nice to have a system like that in place. I suppose they could use the license, if it is cheap, and rebuild it as a name. But I am not sure the first game would gain anything in sales from using that title.

Gamma World, Roadwar 2000, Bad Blood, Wasteland… it seems to me that post-nuclear is the most popular RPG genre after fantasy. Though I guess there is a lot of “high sci-fi” stuff too, at least in P&P – i.e. Traveler, Star Frontiers, etc.

Interplay is dead.

The problem with Fallout is that it never made any money, and that’s probably why you never saw Interplay take it very seriously. It makes me sad because some of my friends over there really wanted to make that game, and it’s just been a dangling carrot.

Say it ain’t so. :(

Proverbius says that the official confirmation will come thursday or friday evening.

What will Feargus go on to do though? The rest of the crew?

Judging by Arcanum, I don’t want Troika touching Fallout.

Amen to that! I’m not sure how that game went so wrong.

Troika is Tim Cain’s company innit? Who better to touch Fallout than its creator…?

That’s a bit unfair. Arcanum was a pretty good game overall, but it lacked a lot of the visual flair of Fallout or the Black Isle games. The combat was a bit inelegant and the whole fantasy/steampunk thing didn’t hang together quite as convincingly as it could have - again, the graphics were largely to blame for this. I also can’t recall any memorable characters or dialogue in the game, which is unusual for a CRPG. I do remember enjoying it.

Most importantly, Troika should do Fallout 3 because the world needs more games where your NPC companions regularly empty their SMG into your back by accident.

Baggage like bring the world two of the best RPGs ever made? I can live with that baggage.

I also can’t recall any memorable characters or dialogue in the game

Then you didn’t play enough. Arcanum had some of the best writing and characters in just about any recent RPG–it was easily the game’s strength. The combat (or at least the real-time combat option) was a bit inelegant, and the engine looked dated (though some of the art was quite nice).

Arcanum’s biggest fault was that it took too long to get rolling. It was until you got through Tarant that the story really got started, and that was a good eight hours into the game (at least for me). I can certainly understand how people could have had trouble getting into it, but overall, I enjoyed it as much as Fallout 2.

Baggage like bring the world two of the best RPGs ever made? I can live with that baggage.

I also can’t recall any memorable characters or dialogue in the game

Then you didn’t play enough. Arcanum had some of the best writing and characters in just about any recent RPG–it was easily the game’s strength. The combat (or at least the real-time combat option) was a bit inelegant, and the engine looked dated (though some of the art was quite nice).

Arcanum’s biggest fault was that it took too long to get rolling. It was until you got through Tarant that the story really got started, and that was a good eight hours into the game (at least for me). I can certainly understand how people could have had trouble getting into it, but overall, I enjoyed it as much as Fallout 2.[/quote]

Arcanum was an unbalanced, ugly, dull, piece of crap. But thanks for coming out.

Arcanum was awesome in parts. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not as good as Fallout, but a solid title nonetheless.

• From Gamespot

Black Isle’s Feargus Urquhart is leaving the company.

GameSpot has confirmed that Feargus Urquhart, director of Interplay’s Black Isle Studios department, has stepped down and is leaving Interplay after more than five years with the company. Urquhart helped create the Black Isle Studios brand within Interplay, and the division released its first game, Fallout 2, in 1998. Black Isle Studios went on to produce such popular role-playing games as Planescape: Torment, the Icewind Dale series, and the Baldur’s Gate series with Canadian developer BioWare.

Very depressing news. I’m starting to think someone up there doesn’t like me… or at least doesn’t like the games I want to play. :cry:

Ah yes, good (?) times. :D

Arcanum had… issues.

• Alan