Ferguson St Louis - Michael Brown shot by police

I guess it comes down to your definition of terrorist. They’re using the threat of violence (and the fear that threat inspires) to attempt to achieve political ends. Sounds like terrorism to me, albeit they haven’t killed anyone (yet, at this location). Using the FBI’s definition, they seem to meet the definition of domestic terrorism:

The fact that they have committed exactly zero violent acts kind of precludes them from falling under the definition of terrorist.

To be fair, I don’t think any of this (in this thread) is about F. Maybe a little U or D, but when isn’t there any?

Aleck seems pretty scared.

Though I agree about the Black Panthers thing, I assume the Feds don’t see any percentage in making martyrs here. Just wait them out and quietly put them in a Federal pen, where they can have all the free government grazing they want for a bunch of years.

I dunno, storming a facility with guns drawn is kind of a violent act.

Personally I think it’s time for another Waco. I’m sick of these fuckwits. First the asshole in Nevada or wherever, now this. And they keep getting away with it without any sort of real penalty. If it wasn’t a bunch of white people they’d already be dead and we’d be hearing about how they were armed thugs threatening innocent people.

The asshole in Nevada (Cliven Bundy) is the father of the asshole leading this particular stunt.

Break out the dictionaries! Woo!

“The use of physical force to harm someone, to damage property, etc.”

A P&R definitions argument. What a way to start 2016. I feel invigorated. How about you?

The facility was unoccupied when they waltzed in. They’re obviously lawbreakers, but so far they’re not violent.

If Black Lives Matter wants to carry guns into a remote, rural, nearly-useless federal facility to prove a point, then God bless them. I’d shrug my shoulders like I’m doing now.

I should have known.

Didn’t realize the facility was unoccupied. Charge them with trespassing. When they inevitably resist, treat them like you would anyone else with a gun who resists arrest.

Just FYI, the term “armed protester” was literally invented for this specific group of white terrorists:

The language contrivances that people come up with for white people doing awful things is incredible.

Anyway:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/opinions/kayyem-oregon-building-takeover-terrorism/index.html

Face it, guys. Juliette Kayyem says it’s so.

Welcome to conservatism for the last 15 years. How long were they crying about the mainstream media’s use of the word “insurgent” for violent brown people in the Middle East?

You can pick up your talking points next to the baked goods sale.

Their videos make it sound like they are seceding from the union. Especially as they keep mentioning how they are inviting other people to come and use the resources, and make sure to bring your arms. Also why is everyone wearing tactical gear while making the videos?

popcorn.gif

Okay, who’s the goofball that put this in the Ferguson thread?

Aside from her assertion that they’re threatening violence (and thereby coincidentally qualifying as terrorists), the rest of her article is pretty spot on: wait them out, don’t allow support or aid, and arrest them peacefully when the time comes. I haven’t seen any of them threaten violence.

My parents live in Eugene, Oregon. The first time I visited them there after they had moved from San Diego, I was walking around the mall in town and was struck by a feeling of weirdness. Nothing I could figure out at first. Something was just…off. Was there a lack of Starbucks? Nope. Cinnabon? Nope. Russian guys hawking remote controlled helicopters and knock-off consoles? Nope. But something was missing. What was it?

Oh! It hit me like a ton of bricks. I hadn’t seen a single black person at the mall that day. I’m used to San Diego, Honolulu, Austin, Seattle, etc. Big melting pots of colors and creeds. Eugene felt like the Twilight Zone.

True story.

Anyway, in regards to this “armed protestors” thing, I get why this seems bad when you think about what would happen if a group of black guys with guns occupied a federal site, but I think Oregon is especially not equipped to deal with this. That very inability to respond in force may be what allows this situation to be resolved peacefully. At least, I hope.

Just FYI, the term “armed protester” was literally invented for this specific group of white terrorists:

Well, they’re really just protesters… I simply qualified the term and pointed out that they were armed, as the fact that they have firearms is seemingly being used to suggest that they are somehow terrorists… Which is not even remotely reasonable as a position.

Didn’t realize the facility was unoccupied. Charge them with trespassing. When they inevitably resist, treat them like you would anyone else with a gun who resists arrest.

This is certainly an option, but I don’t think they actually WANT this to be the outcome. While it would be legal, it would not really be desirable.

If only we applied similar patience to, say, violent drug offenders with arrest warrants. Or Islamic terrorists (even if the means are different).

Anyway, it’s quite possible they want to become martyrs and spark a new wave of domestic terrorism. You never know with the way people obsess over things these days. We’ll see.

This is the same group of people from 2014 right? Businesses lose thousands in Bundy ordeal - 8 News NOW

8 News NOW obtained a police report which also shows the hotel received at least nine threatening phone calls in April, after they allowed BLM rangers to stay in the hotel.

Workers were told to kick out the BLM or they “would not be standing in the morning.”

One Mesquite hotel worker, who didn’t want to go on camera, said he was told by an anonymous militia member that he would be “dragged out in the parking lot and shot”.

In this letter to Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie, Congressman Horsford says the militias are “setting up checkpoints” that are “near schools and churches” and people “fear for their safety.”

I somehow missed this Bundy Range story then. Looks like this has been brewing for awhile, and it does looks like threats of violence both direct and implied have been employed around this topic.

At this point, I prefer the approach of laughing at their silly asses. They’ve occupied a friggin’ bird-watching information center.

I particularly like “VanillaISIS” and “Y’All Qaeda”.

“YokelHaram”