Ferguson St Louis - Michael Brown shot by police

I never said it was useless.

I said the bird research was already in the public domain, so nobody should be upset just because the militia looked at it.

That’s what he’s saying though.
You DO know that they collect, at least to the extent that you know what they DON’T collect… because there are only certain things they could even be allowed to collect.

Let’s say they burn it to the ground like you said would be okay. What information are we losing, and is all that information freely available to the public right now? I am under the impression there is research being done there.

Did I literally say that if they burnt it to the ground it would be ok?

If they burn anything to the ground, then they will add arson to the list of charges against them. And that’s a pretty serious charge, in fact an arson conviction started this whole protest to start with.

Hopefully, we wouldn’t lose any information. Government research data is supposed to be stored on a central server, with regular maintenance and backups, etc.

The reason there’s no significant response to this case is because it’s not important. They are occupying a shed in the wilderness, that no one gives even one single fuck about. They could actually burn the place to the ground, and… Whatever.

I just assume the statement of “whatever” means you don’t really care. It’s how I’ve seen that used in the past… whatever/doesn’t matter/don’t care. Also the not important part implies that as well.

How about an ex-lawyer guy, who never practiced criminal law? :)

Theft requires an intention to permanently deprive the owner of his property. This isn’t theft. It’s Joyriding, sometimes called “Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle.” It’s still a crime, though less severe than theft. It can nonetheless be charged as a felony.

I retract that statement then, or at least would clarify it.

It’s not that destroying the federal property would be ok, but rather that there is no significant threat to anyone posed by their presence there. If, in the worst case they totally destroyed those buildings, there would be no significant loss of life or property. That’s what “whatever” means. You’re not going to have civilians killed, you’re not going to have private property damaged. It seems like you are suggesting that there could potentially be some sort of research which is only stored on that site, and if that were actually true, then that would perhaps change things. I would find it unlikely that it would be the case, but who knows.

Regardless though, the important part here is that the “whatever” doesn’t excuse the action, or suggest that arson should not be punished. It’s that the reason the feds aren’t rolling in there is because even if they literally burned the place down, it wouldn’t be anywhere close to the potential level of damage that existed in cases like Balitimore, which was why police were out in force in those other cases.

The Y’all-qaeda are also providing excellent late night comedy fodder. I think there is value to making them look foolish. Let them continue to beg for bedsheets, throw rugs and french vanilla creamer. What hardcore patriots these brave men are! What sacrifices they are making! LOL.

If you engage them in a shootout, you risk turning them from the village idiots into martyrs. Let them sit there until it’s boring, then arrest them later, once the spotlight is off and they’ve all wandered home.

Sorry for the Oregon militia circus interruption, but this piece about the software “Beware” and how it may be influencing police responses is pretty interesting.

Councilman Clinton J. Olivier, a libertarian-leaning Republican, said Beware was like something out of a dystopian science fiction novel and asked Dyer a simple question: “Could you run my threat level now?”

Dyer agreed.

The scan returned Olivier as a green, but his home came back as a yellow, possibly because of someone who previously lived at his address, a police official said. “Even though it’s not me that’s the yellow guy, your officers are going to treat whoever comes out of that house in his boxer shorts as the yellow guy,” Olivier said. “That may not be fair to me.”

I hate that they compare it to a credit report, one of those systems that is notorious for misinformation which is difficult and time consuming to correct. It’s so bad that states are trying to eliminate the ability for employers to use it to deny employment. It’s not just misinformation but also the lack of studies that says someone who didn’t pay an unexpected large medical bill suddenly became unemployable.

The house i recently bought belonged to some unfortunate renters. Does that mean the police are going to show up here guns ready?

That software as far as I am aware (and the article doesn’t say this) is still in the “testing phase” and as yet has not been actually bought by the Fresno PD. It is being tested and before it would be purchased and used the PD would have to come before the City Council. Personally I don’t see how the cops using info that is available on social media.

One part of the impetus for this may have been a recent local high school case involving a kid who announced on social media his plans to shoot up a high school. Turned out the kid actually had guns hidden away and had talked to a friend about doing it. There is a lot of pressure on police to prevent stuff like that.

It does count as theft. If I walk up and take your cell phone without your permission and make a call it is still theft. Just because you eventually give it back doesn’t mean it isn’t theft. Otherwise I could just take anything I wanted and as long as I give it back at some point it wouldn’t count.

And we’re talking about stealing a piece of heavy machinery to use to destroy other property.

This is not generally correct. It might still be a crime, but “theft” requires an intent to permanently deprive someone of their property.

SOURCE: Remembered from studying for bar exam. Also can google.

So I can steal a snow plow and use it to demolish the local park bench with my M1 across my shoulder and not be charged with anything of note?

I actually explained the difference six posts up. You’d be charged with Joyriding/ Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle, Vandalism and unnecessary sarcasm. But not “theft.”

EDIT: I’m not trying to be a fussy internet know-it-all, but you jumped into a discussion with Timex about what, exactly, constitutes “theft.”

I worded it wrong, but I was somewhat serious.

Also doing those things with a firearm would pretty much assure me substantial jail time, the loss of my carry and probably death when the cops shot me.

As far as theft, I remember some story about a celeb taking someone’s phone from them to delete a picture they took and many lawyers saying it was theft. Maybe because they deleted a picture which “permanently denied” that person of their property?

Here’s an article specifically about the difference between joyriding and grand theft auto.

Note that this doesn’t make it OK though, as even joyriding could be a felony, and so the use of the bulldozer may be a more significant crime than I had originally thought.

A report out of Chicago has found a pattern of intentional damage to the dash cams in squad cars by police officers, apparently to disable them. Maintenance records reviewed by DNA Info Chicago reveal more than 100 instances between September 1, 2014 and July 16, 2015 when dashcam equipment was missing or inoperable. Records show 90 occurrences when no microphones were found during inspections of cruisers that should have carried them. In 30 other incidents, inspectors say recording systems had either not been activated or were “intentionally defeated.”

Who didn’t see this coming?

Ok, so, opening this back up.

A new documentary, “Stranger Fruit” has unseen footage of the events in the convenience store that Michael Brown allegedly “strong-arm robbed”.

The new footage shows Brown entering Ferguson Market and Liquor
shortly after 1 a.m. on the day he died. He approaches the counter,
hands over what looks to be a small bag, and takes a shopping bag filled
with cigarillos. Brown is then seen shown walking toward the door with
the merchandise, then turning around and handing the cigarillos back
across the counter before exiting the store.
Jason Pollock, a documentary filmmaker who acquired the new footage,
says the tape challenges the police narrative that Brown committed a
strong-armed robbery when he returned to the store around noon that day.

Pollock believes that the new video shows Brown giving a small bag of
marijuana to store employees and receiving cigarillos in return as part
of a deal.

So, the “Thug” that robbed a poor convenience store clerk was dealing a piddly amount of pot for some cigarellos. No robbery, just a shady transaction, that the convenience store denies, and probably was o.k. with not having the truth come out about that deal.

This is some crazy shit right here. This was the entire “he was no angel” defense for the killing. The high schooler was trading a bit of pot for some cigarellos.

And there is a court docket from the Civil case from december.

This DIRECTLY contradicts the police narrative of, “he reached for my gun”, and “I thought he had a weapon”

How is this former police officer doing now?

Wilson lives on a “nondescript dead-end street on the
outskirts of St. Louis,” according to The New Yorker. Few people
know his specific location and his name is not on the deed of the
house he lives in. Wilson reportedly paid for it with the help of
$500,000 in donations he received in the wake of the shooting.

He can see who comes and goes through security cameras that
are synced to his phone.

Wilson has not read a US Justice Department report about
systemic racism in Ferguson. Wilson told The New Yorker: “I’m not
going to keep living in the past about what Ferguson did. It’s
out of my control.”

He wanted to rejoin the police force in Ferguson after the
grand jury cleared him in the shooting, but he was told that his
presence on the force would jeopardize other cops.

Instead, Wilson went to work doing inventory at a boot store
for two weeks but quit when reporters found out he worked there
and started calling the store.

Wilson keeps a low profile now, but still ventures out
occasionally to places “with like-minded individuals,” he told
The New Yorker. He continued: “You know. Where it’s not a mixing
pot.”

He said he writes thank-you notes to his supporters, who
have reportedly sent him thousands of letters. Wilson keeps
police-department patches that cops have sent him in a drawer in
his living room.

Great. just fucking great.