Fewer days of junk mail? Score!

The Postmaster General says the mail might need to be cut back to only 5 days a week.

WASHINGTON - Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week. If the change happens, that doesn’t necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday.

Personally, I say do it. Cutting back on mail means less fuel consumed and (hopefully) less paper. And fewer flyers for oil changes and tree care. Woo!

NO fucking way! I will not have interference with my Netflix!!!

You guys get mail on Saturday?

Yeah, I’d be all for this. It’s rare that something good comes in the mail anyway. :) It’s generally bills or ads. NetFlix being the rare exception but if they would just get all of their movies to stream…

WTF? No this is not a good thing. I order a lot of stuff with USPS (amazon free shipping) as well as Netflix. You’re not going to get less junk mail, just more on the day after the off day.

Come on, you can give up 1 day.

Look if they’re going to do it then there’s not much I can do but I’m not going to just say, “cool!” :P

Well, I’m all right with this. But only if they raise the price of stamps again. That’s my final offer.

Netflix is essentially the only worthwhile thing I get in the mail anymore, but even that is getting less and less common as we switch to more Netflix streaming.

The USPS used to be 7 days a week before we got all Jesus freaked after WWII. As for junk mail, as I understand it that’s the only thing that keeps the USPS even close to solvent, the postage doesn’t cover real mail.

H.

If they do this then I’ll probably cancel Netflix. I can barely get two movies a week as it is.

If they stop delivering mail for another day, it’s not like everyone will send less junk mail. They’ll just send it anyway, and you’ll get it later.

As a customer, I’m not seeing the benefit.

Seems kind of short-sighted. A postal infrastructure is expensive, but some of the costs are fixed and don’t vary based on how many days you deliver the mail. The way to make mail delivery economical is to try and get as many people as possible to use the service so you can recoup the fixed costs. Making mail delivery less frequent makes the service less desirable, and thus reduces usage.

But some aren’t. This would be a huge cut in fuel and pay costs. And no more mail on Saturdays? Big deal, from my perspective. I can understand why others might be upset, but something has to give, evidently. Would you rather have a huge stamp price increase? That would lead to the same less demand issue, if not more.

I personally don’t give a crap one way or another about this, it has zero real-world impact on my life whether or not they deliver mail on Saturday.

What about Tuesday?

Still wouldn’t mind. They can cut back to working just Monday and Thursday for all I care.

I’m wondering why the post office is losing money. Sure, no one writes letters anymore, but there are millions more people buying and selling crap online. FedEx isn’t getting ALL of that business.

Yes indeed. It’s the only thing we have left that makes us great!

This sucks. I would from 6am till 5pm. Often I only get to mail things is on Saturday. I bet bill companies will love this. 52 days a year less that mail will travel. More late fees.