Fez - It's out after 5 years of development

It is not like you get to new game plus and unlock the grappling hook, rocket launcher, inverted castle, and audio logs. If you don’t dig the vibe or don’t like exploration platformers, it is probably safe to move on.

If you want to know where the ‘cool part’ is, the answer is it is everywhere. The enjoyment comes from the gestalt moment when you figure that out. But, it is very easy to go through the entire game and never know that part of the game is there.

‘if you really want a hint’

there is a room in the game that serves as the Rosetta stone for decoding the rest of the game.

''this hint will ruin your gestalt moment

There is a room with an artifact. The artifact doesn’t actually do anything. Pay attention to the room.

I figured this out when I was trying to describe the game to a friend and had an epiphany.

Huh. Some game… I downloaded it off GoG. There’s a crash in one of the first six rooms I visit. I ignore that and play to the end of the game. Upon clicking “New Game +”, I get a hard crash and sent to the desktop. There appears to be no fixes for either of these, though honestly, in a game which jokes about crashes and data corruptions, I’m still not sure the NG+ thing is actually a mistake. Meta is risky!

Anyway, for all that, still a very cool game. Would love to see the rest of it, maybe I can solve the puzzle of its poor coding.

Two minutes later update: My save file got wiped! Guess that’s the end of the road for me.

Similar experience here, but I’ve barrelled through. It’s stupidly buggy, but man if it isn’t rich with puzzles and intriguing challenges.

At least the XBLA version will be fixed (via GAF):

Not sure why he can’t fix the GoG version though.

I’m sure it’s GoG’s fault he hasn’t fixed that PC bug. After all, it can’t be Phil’s fault that his game is a buggy mess, right?

1. Phil Fish isn’t a programmer.
  2. Renaud Bedard worked on Fez, he has since moved on to Capybara.
  3. Microsoft recently dropped the required fee to patch XBLA games. I would guess the only reason this patch is going to see the light of day is that it was already done last year when the game came out but never released due to the 40k charge.

I bought it through steam and have had absolutely 0 issues. at all. could be your computer maybe?

Yeah, I have crashes galore and other problems (music going wonky or disappearing, graphics glitches) with the GOG version. The Steam one is really that solid? I’m curious: What version does it say on the splash screen when it starts? Mine says 1.07, although the installers claim it is 2.0.1.5 and a patch up to 2.0.4.6. Probably means nothing, but it irritates me to see something like that when there are so many bugs and I wonder if it’s properly patched…

yeah it’s quite glitchy. some issues are helped by newest drivers but there’s no indication they are aware of causes. whatever crm cloud software they’re using is iffy at best. it crashed on startup on surface pro unless you use unofficial intel hd4000 drivers.

Steam version crashed on me within an hour of starting it up for the first time. It happened during a really repetitive block-stacking puzzle which was made nearly impossible by the really horrible controls. I don’t think I’ll be starting it up again.

Bought this on steam a while ago and finally got around to installing it.

Entered and exited first room: Horrendous graphical glitches and tearing. Running in 720p and windowed fixes it.
5 minutes later, had collected all 8 golden cubes and the little graphic that happens when you do this stuck my camera to the location where the graphic happened. Only way to fix was to exit and restart.

Yeah no thanks, won’t be playing this.

I’ve had 0 issues with this on my machine, so who knows, maybe I had some extra karma left over from one of my past sacrifices to the gaming gods.

Maybe the new Vita/PS3 versions are less buggy? Hive-mind, report!

No issues so far on PS4/Vita.

This seems relevant. $5.

I keep hoping this one comes to XB1 back compat.

I got excited for a moment thinking this would be a good way for me to finally play it, but then I thought better of it. I’ve already got the console versions, and while playing on the go theoretically makes a game more accessible, I don’t know how well this will control via touch, and I’d also be tempted to be playing with the sound off, which is the wrong way to play Fez.

I would buy this for the Switch, but not for an iOS device.

I have the Steam PC Fez. Is it still buggy or can it be played and enjoyed?