FFXII Collector's Ed Preorders

This is the thread where I ask Kitsune or any other Japanese member of this board (Bueller?) what they thought of the extras they got with FFXII, if they in fact got any (presumably they did, as I hear Japan has the US totally pwned in that department).

"The Final Fantasy XII Collector’s Edition will be packaged in a metal case and includes a Collector’s DVD with the following contents:

• Developer’s Interviews
  • History of Final Fantasy featurettes
  • Final Fantasy XII U.S. Trailers
  • Final Fantasy XII Japan Trailers
  • Final Fantasy Art Gallery"

Is this going to be any good? I am skeptical because some pre-order bonuses from the past have totally sucked. For example, the “history featurette” could last two minutes for all I know.

These new bonuses actually cost money, so one must be sure they do not suck. Presumably, the dev interviews are just the Japanese interviews with subtitles or dubs, so… how insightful are they? What about the rest of the content, etc etc? How much more excited should we be over this package than we would be over FFXII standalone?

To the rest of you: do you think these exclusive preorders will become more common in the future? I find it highly annoying that I have to shell out tax and more shipping than I would normally because I have to buy this thing from Gamestop instead of Overstock or Gogamer.

I thought the box was awfully pretty. It might be worth the extra $10 just for that.

When does this ship in the US again so I can take off from work for a while? :P

Will this be playable in the US? Or is it Japanese language only?

In October I believe.

You’re kidding, right?

And yeah, October. It’s already out in Japan. I saw a long English trailer for it at the San Diego Comic Con a couple weeks ago and it’s fairly promising. The voice acting has definitely improved since X. I would upload bootleg cammed videos of the trailer, but the Square employees were insistent that no one film a trailer for a game that’s already out.

No, I figured it might be only import at this point. If it’s out in Japan now and has English available, I’ll go ahead and import it with Gogamer.

I didn’t buy the limited edition versions (I didn’t really look into it, but my understanding was that the most popular one came with a limited edition PS2, and well, no thanks, I already have one).

The Japanese version comes with the following features:

-A working replica of the continent of Ivalice complete with 300 miniatures hand-painted by enslaved Ainu.

-Yasumi Matsuno’s phone number and a coupon allowing you an intimate chat and dinner with him at your convenience.

-A blow-job given by a girl with the real-life proportions of Ashe or Penelo.

-A working, to-scale airship with a lifetime’s supply of fuel.

-A chocobo ranch in Australia with 10 migrant workers of your choice.

Which is of course piddly and rather selfish of Square Enix considering the far superior extras we get from other companies. Oh there was also an advertisement for potion, an iTunes card with a judge on them and worth five downloads from the FFXII offical soundtrack and the superior version of the game.

:P

Simpilot there’s no English available in the Japanese version and the Japanese is at a level that anyone who isn’t a native should even think about playing.

-Kitsune

I preordered (something I almost never do) FFXII for two primary reasons:

1 - I trust the team doing this one to come up with an engrossing story, plus the combat system is far closer to what I have wanted in an RPG for years now.

2 - I’m a complete two-bit whore for metal cases.

Yeah, man. If I was a bachelor filled with a house of videogames like Cathcart, I’d have the collection of game boxes he has too.

Anyway, I think this one’s probably worth the extra $10. That box is pretty.

Anyone hear anything about whether they have any plans on bringing any more of the FF games to the PC (and not MMO)? Of the games that I miss most from my old NES/SNES days, the FF series games are at the top and I’d love to get back into them. Just won’t be getting a console to do it, is all.

Think I’ll ever see them?

Given how bad the ports of FFVII and VIII were to the PC, I don’t think I ever want Square trying to port to it again. I’ve modded Eidos’s official FFVII board for five or six years, and the difficulties in getting that game to run have always been endless, but now are much harder with everyone on XP instead of the expected Windows 98. XI’s port was not so hot either.

Sorry. I voted the shit bonerz vote because I haven’t been able to bring myself to play a new FF game since I yanked FF8 out of my computer and glared at it spitefully for being so much less than I thought it would be when I started playing it. Which was… quite a few years ago, come to think of it. Maybe I should give them another chance.

-A working replica of the continent of Ivalice complete with 300 miniatures hand-painted by enslaved Ainu.

This is Square-Enix, not Working Designs - there will only be 100 miniatures.
Also you forgot the 8-disc orchestral OST.

Anyone hear anything about whether they have any plans on bringing any more of the FF games to the PC (and not MMO)? Of the games that I miss most from my old NES/SNES days, the FF series games are at the top and I’d love to get back into them. Just won’t be getting a console to do it, is all.

Think I’ll ever see them?

If you want to play them on the PC you’ll have to emulate, alas.

Ah, too bad about no FF for PC. I didn’t get around to playing the other PC versions and have fond memories of my last plays of one through three on Nintendo (whichever those match up with in the original series). Considering what others have said, I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t ruin it by getting the PC versions, although I believe I tried tracking down VII at some point but it was “no longer made”.

I picked up a copy of FF7 for PC about 4 months ago secondhand. After installing all the critical updates (like the one for DirectX (OpenGL?) support) and using that phenomenal audio library hack, I swapped my PC over to HDTV mode and played it on the bigscreen – albeit with black bars on the sides. It looked absolutely awesome. The characters were still blocky and superdeformed, but the edges were clean and the backgrounds and movies looked great. The text font is also much nicer in the PC version. I had absolutely no problems running it on my Athlon XP 3000/9600 Pro media center PC, both with AA and without.

That’s not to say that it will work out that well for everyone, though.

It won’t.

I’m glad it worked for you, though I’m honestly surprised. I hadn’t thought of playing it on an HDTV to help the background issue, but I haven’t booted up the PC version for about five years, either.

Used copy a year later for the win!

I’m glad this game is already a PS2 title, so that you can’t suggest we go get one.

Just rent the game and play the awesome first 10 hours of it and then forget about it.

The game starts heading downhill right around then…sigh.