Field of Glory Empires

It is on my list to grab at some point, but I still have Aggressors and Imperator to spend time on.

It was fun to play once but the second time it doesn’t feel that unique. Maybe it would work better if I were deep into the wargame. I’ve also waited for some patches and additions to come back but I don’t think there were any.

I still like this for the tactical battle implementation. But if I want to play a Rome themed game then I’ll play Imperator.

Very, very good game. It’s just that there’s been a flurry of very interesting games since then, and I have been distracted. But I enjoyed this one more than anything else this year, with the exception of Disco Elysium… It is interesting in that it tries to address the problem of games losing their appeal once you have a large empire – large leads to new challenges here. But in that regard, it is only halfway successful.

There’s been at least one patch since the last series of posts here, which addressed at least some issues (I think it’s now possible to attack armies without conquest).

Haven’t had time to play it, unfortunately, but easily one of the most enjoyable strategy games I’ve played this year, even if it doesn’t quite succeed in everything it attempts to do.

Thinking of picking this up since between the sale and my anniversary coupon I can get it for $15. Might get the rest of the FoG2 DLC that I’m missing as well. My impression is that playing out the tactical battles in FoG2 can make Empires battles too easy, but that assumes I am any good at FoG2. :) Pretty sure I read where the terrain won’t match up and General stats won’t carry over either. Is it the consensus that the battles can become too easy using FoG2? Thanks.

I’ll definitely be diving back into this at some point. It’s a very good game. Also they just released a new update a few days ago that had some interesting news. It looks like diplomacy will be getting some love in the next update. That’s really needed, imo.

A new version is available for Field of Glory: Empires - 1.0.6 - and it is dedicated to adding some custom content for Kolchis and Armenia, a very interesting tweak in the Nation Panel and may other improvements.

But before diving into the new content, some pleasant news. Version 1.0.6 is meant also to prepare the game for something very special. Brace yourselves as the Diplomacy Update will be the next one. We will give all the relevant information in the next announcement, so stay tuned for further updates!

Here’s what’s in the update that just released:

EXTRA MAJOR CONTENT
• Kolchis setup revised, with 8 Missions to perform.
• Armenia gets 3 missions, 3 new custom buildings and an extra unit.
• Government Aging and Progress UI (access it by clicking on the government button, nation panel)

GAMEPLAY and SETUP (improvements and fixes)
• Smarter dynamic objectives
• Fixed issues with Builder Guild and late wonders
• Added exclusivity to well and irrigation canal
• Fix to tools factory
• Fixed hospital chain of buildings
• Fixed Babel Tower modifier not properly given
• Capital region food need for growth increased
• Brigantes now have Tin resource, not lead.
• Caucasian ethnicities don’t have access to phalanxes
• Tweaked pop growth formula - harder to get really big population
• Fixed issue with Hunting Grounds & Master Hunter
• Military buildings have greater importance in max metal and manpower stockpiles
• Deficit spending and modifiers – the bigger the deficit you run, the higher the penalties!
• Fixed Sagittarii not provided to Rome in some cases
• Improved how the game determines who is defending (outside of assaults)

AI
• AI will have less animosity against the legacy leader.
• Slightly less AI ship building
• AI doesn’t snatch a siege from player

UI
• Government Aging and Progress UI
• New reports tab for ongoing mission(s)
• next region shortcut: ENTER, next idle region shortcut: SPACE
• Changed colors of a few provinces
• Make T hotkey behave exactly like the trade tab button
• Show leader portrait with red skull overlay at end of battle if they died.
• Update ledger when cancelling construction
• Fix stockpiles not initially showing current expenses in recruitment

Other
• Various engine optimizations and speed up
• Display error when failing to save game

Aside from diplomacy and some odd DoW’s, how does the AI play? Can it manage a decent size empire somewhat effectively? Thanks.

I finally fired this up, read the getting started section, read over the walk through of Romes initial 18 turns…and realize that isn’t enough.

Individually the concepts aren’t difficult, but with every decision I make I realize I don’t know enough - what buildings to build, what troops I need before attacking Senones, etc… Seems like a cool game but I think I’m going to need to read more.

Anyone have any section of the manual they consider must reads before playing?

Start at the end with the Designers Notes. It will help you understand which systems make the game unique and get you excited to learn more. Then read/skim section 5 (Regions & Provinces), 7 (Ruling Your Empire), and 8 (Culture, Decadence, & Legacy). 20-25 pages. Tom loves the trading/resources system, but IMHO, its not the best place to start. You might browse chapter 10 so you know how to conquer regions, if the tutorial wasn’t enough.

As great as it is, don’t let the manual get in the way. After the tutorial scenario, try playing a smaller nation with 1-5 regions that starts relatively isolated. I played Saba and had a great time.

Thanks!

Misremembered the best section of the manual. Design Notes are good, but Gameplay Notes (p.161-171) is basically a mini-strategy guide!

Where can one find this?

It’s in the manual. I think section 17.

Thank you. The ToC calls it “gameplay notes”

I’m just kinda wading my way through. probably no always sure why I’m doing what I’m doing…

I just got a decision that gives a nice legacy point bonus, but it requires me to get a unit practically all the way across the map in 30 turns. There are a lot of different states between me and the target. I assume I’d need to fight my way across the map? I don’t know if I’ve seen any ability to request right of passage.

I’m doing well of the CDR table, just hit the number 1 slot after becoming an empire, but I far behind in the legacy score. I think I’m 18th or something. I’m playing as Rome.

Edit: Also, wow fighting in the alpine mountains is tough! As it should be I imagine. I was pursuing an objective, and need to crack through some tough territory. I don’t know if eventually getting some building will let me get some troops more suitable for that.

Am I right in thinking that the assigned objectives to conquer are frequently too far away to achieve for the amount of time they stay active? I didn’t keep track, but it seems like you get a new objective every 4 or 5 turns, bumping out the oldest one. Many new objectives are pretty far across the map.

I’m still doing OK on the CDR table at the number two spot. I am 7th on the legacy table, but the leader has around 2x my value so I’m very far behind.

Playing as Rome I didn’t get a new objective until I had taken one that was already posted. But that could be a randomization thing.

Ignore them. The ship ones are sometimes doable, so keep an eye out for those, but anything that requires you to get a land unit to such and such place is a waste of time, IIRC.

I’m Rome at number 3. I don’t think there is any way I can catch the leader. I still have a lot of turns left, but that deficit grows each turn. Unless of course I can attack them and reduce them to rubble.

I’ve been expanding a lot and my CDR is starting to suffer for it. I’m still in the top tier, but no longer at the top like I had been. I just got a ruler that gets like 50% more decadence too.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of options for actions to take, so a long game does start to feel repetitive. Anyone see a game as Rome all the way to the end?

Any ideas how to keep the game interesting? I don’t feel like I have a great grasp on the game, as I’ve pretty much been just been playing off the cuff. It just seems like the cycle is build some buildings, build some troops and decide who to attack. Anything I may be overlooking?