Field of Glory Empires

I’m hoping this will present a nice alternative/response to Paradox’s Imperator: Rome which seems like it will be in ‘early access’ for another year.

Such a nice feature being able to export battles to Field of Glory II for direct tactical control!

Damn! I glanced and thought it said June 11! And was crushed when I checked Steam only to discover my error. :(

Glad I am not the totally alone in my anticipation of this game. Watching DasTactic’s videos, it looks like the ideal game for my tastes.

Matrix/Slitherine weren’t at E3 again this year otherwise they could have announced it there.

I love Pdox but their development cycles are… lengthy, and generally games aren’t in particularly good shape until months after a major update (let alone a release).

That said, we shouldn’t neglect Aggressors: Ancient Rome in all this. There’s been a (wonderful) glut of ancient world grand strategy lately.

Agreed, that is an excellent game. Whenever I go back to it, I find the UI frustrating for the first half hour, but otherwise it’s great and it gets the ancient era right on many levels.

But from what I have seen in the Let’s Plays, Field of Glory Empires is an entirely different experience, far more time spent on overall strategy, far more focus on the challenges that come with expansion.

Which is great, because if you’re going to have a lot of games set in a particular era it’s nice if they’re all worth playing on their own merits.

Does anyone have any information on how this will work exactly? I mean, are you going to have to export a file and then load up Field of Glory II every time you want to fight a battle and then export the results file from that and load it back into FoG:E? Or will it be more seamless than that, hopefully?

When you click “FOG2 battle” it starts up FOG2 automatically. You click “Empire battle” on the FOG2 menu. Fight the battle. When it ends it automatically transfers the result to Empires. Go back to Empires and click an “import battle” button and you’re done.

Asking as someone who isn’t familiar at all with FOG, why would I want to do this?

So you can fight tactical battles in your grand strategy game a la Total War.

Except with a much better tactical engine and (one hopes) a much more substantial strategic game. So better in every way, basically.

Quite true! I just picked up Aggressors in the current GOG sale and I am very excited to dive in. Looks quite meaty and very mod friendly. So happy to have so many ancient strategy games all of a sudden.

I think with the way Matrix/Slitherine work every project/developer is its own thing, so support for both will come down to Ageod and the Aggressor developers.

Thanks. That’s pretty sweet. The last games I played that did something like this were Rules of Engagement 2 and Breach 3. And that was a loooong time ago.

Did someone say Rules of Engagement!? Hello!

Yeah, I loved that game. It reminded me a lot of another game I played a ton before RoE came out named Begin, A Tactical Starship Simulation.

I also loved Begin, but the RoE games have a special place in my heart.

Agreed. Begin was the game that got me hooked on games like that though. RoE was a better game overall but there were some crazy tactical things you could do in Begin that were a lot of fun (creative use of probes, for example).

With a couple weeks to go until release, they have released the manual:
Manual