Field of Glory Empires

I just got my 15 year 50% off coupon from slitherine, so I’m in!

Nice, 25% off if you already own FoG2.

No. There are actually two games in one included in Aggressors. While one uses the roman world map as a setting, the other is a random 4X map where the world is not known. To quote from this excellent review:

This is my quick take. Aggressors is a highly polished 4x game focused on ancient world combat. The combat AI does an excellent job on the tactical level and on certain map types an outstanding job on the strategic level. Aggressors contains a traditional 4x “scramble for power” at the bottom of the research tree. But it also contains a complicated 20 opponent complex starting game set in the Mediterranean at 282BC. Remarkably, both games work very well.

Regarding setting up the traditional random 4X play mode:

Aggressors offers good flexibility in setting up your 4x game world. Players can adjust the size of the game map; if the map is all islands or one land mass; the overall climate; the number and dispersal of opponents; the starting technology level; if there are independent (non-expansionist) cities; and the overall difficulty level. Even better, after playing nine scramble start games I never encountered an computer opponent with a hopeless starting position which prevented expansion. I’ve played at dozen or more 4x games and this is the first which did not routinely start at least one faction in an impossible position. This is an impressive programming feat.

Random map:

I just got an email offering a $10 discount simply for applying as a beta tester (and not being selected).

That is great timing! How do me check to see if we have an active coupon? I can’t remember when I got my last one.

One early reaction that I have is that the assignment of objective provinces is a factor in the difficulty of playing a faction, that is not evident at first glance. (And I do not know how randomized those objectives are.)

I’m not sure if you can manually check, I had to click on a link in an email and log in to a special page with the code on it…

I think if you go to the slitherine login system and your account page, there is a link to show you if you have a coupon.

Yep, login to your Slitherine account…go to My Account and there will be a link to view anniversary coupons.

Anyway to add the 15% Slitherine code on top of the 25% Steam discount for having FOGII?

Asking for a friend.

Found it, thanks.

I have an 18% one on there, but if I did decide to get it the 25% one on Steam for owning FoG II is better.

Is there any benefit to linking my Steam account to my Slitherine account, like stacking the FoG 2 owner discount to an anniversary coupon discount?

I don’t think so. The slitherine coupon is only good through the matrix/slitherine stores. The way their store works with Steam, I don’t think they have any direct links between accounts. If you purchase through their store and want to play on steam, you have to take the steam key and activate it manually. Unless something has changed. I don’t remember previously linking my steam account so maybe it has changed.

Sorry if this has been already mentionned: is this a new engine from Ageod?

This is the Slitherine in-house engine “Archon”. All their internal games now use it - e.g the new Close Combat game will use it as well.

I have the below field in my account information. I didn’t know if I linked them if the Slitherine website would pick up that I own FoG 2 on Steam.

Capture

Worth a shot. I just checked. My account is linked and it only shows the regular price for me.

I had contacted them a bit about the messy nature of Steam/Slitherine games (some games port using keys, others don’t) and I had bought from Fanatical a key for a FOG2 expansion that only activated on Steam. They told me they were separating them.
So if you buy on Steam, you don’t get nothing on Matrix/Slitherine’s site, if you buy on their site you may get a key that work with Steam oftentimes, but it isn’t garanteed (better check first).

Thanks for that! I didn’t want to do it without knowing its effects.

Is the game balanced enough so that a minor power-I’ll just pick one at random-Judea-can amass enough Victory Tokens or whatever to actually win?