Fighting Games - PS2, Xbox, GC

Don’t see many threads about these, thought I’d start one. Looking for a good fighting game to tide me over until Soul Calibur 2 comes out. Any recommendations?

You can buy one of the new Capcom fighters and watch a once great franchise swirl around the drain while great game concepts like Powerstone and Darkstalkers are left to rot…

Your Power Pill

Guilty Gear X2 on the PS2. Great 2D fighter, looks beautiful, slick interface, tons of characters, lots o’ fun. For 3D, it’s a toss up between Virtua Fighter 4 or Tekken 4, depending on your tastes in 3D fighters. They’re both great games, though.

There’s no better 2D fighting game than GGX2. Period. There may not be any better fighting game at all.

What’s so great about 2d fighters?

Comparing 2D fighting to 3D fighting is like comparing Doom to Quake. Sure, they’re both great games, but 3D improves the concept in so many ways.

Dude.

Dude.[/quote]

Seriously.

You probably failed the part of the Swedish SAT where they’re all “this is to that as those are to these” didn’t you?

I disagree, and not just because your Doom to Quake analogy is a poor one. Mario 2D vs. Mario 3D is better, because it also neatly illustrates why 2D fighters should still exist. Just like a 2D sidescroller is a different animal than a 3D platformer, a 2D fighter plays differently than a 3D one. Hard to describe why exactly, I’ve always seen 2D fighting (especially Street Fighter 2) as a jousting/timing game. Maneuvering on a 3D plane changes the dynamic a lot.

[quote="Bub, AndrewJust like a 2D sidescroller is a different animal than a 3D platformer, a 2D fighter plays differently than a 3D one. Hard to describe why exactly, I’ve always seen 2D fighting (especially Street Fighter 2) as a jousting/timing game. Maneuvering on a 3D plane changes the dynamic a lot.[/quote]

One difficulty is getting the characters together… That’s why most 3D fighters are essentially 2D with some kind of special non-planar move.

One thing I do like about the 3D fighters is the smooth transitions. I honestly wasn’t able to get into fighters until I played Street Fighter EX. I just couldn’t parse the controls without the smoother animation. I went from that back to the 2D games.

True, most 3D fighters don’t do a good job with moving in 3D space, but those that do, like Soul Calibur, offer another level of depth that the 2D fighters just don’t have. I think 3D fighters are theoretically superior to 2D fighters for the simple reason that the 3D fighters can do everything the 2D fighters can do and more. Having said that, I would have to agree that Guilty Gear X2 is the best fighter I’ve played since VF4.

Like the cel-shading debate going on in the other thread, 2D and 3D strike me as different styles that can both be excellent if developers do a good job of tailoring their games to their style.

Way to go, Captain Obvious ;)

That “Fist of the Lotus” game for Xbox.

Dude.[/quote]

Seriously.[/quote]

Where’s my car?

Dude.[/quote]

Seriously.[/quote]

Where’s my car?[/quote]

Sweet.

Dude.[/quote]

Seriously.[/quote]

Where’s my car?[/quote]

Sweet.[/quote]

Word.

True, most 3D fighters don’t do a good job with moving in 3D space, but those that do, like Soul Calibur, offer another level of depth that the 2D fighters just don’t have. I think 3D fighters are theoretically superior to 2D fighters for the simple reason that the 3D fighters can do everything the 2D fighters can do and more.[/quote]

I’d have to disagree quite a bit. If we’re talking casual play here, then maybe 3D fighters have more that is easy to pick up, but if we’re talking high-level play then they match out pretty well. 2D fighters are always faster – Soul Calibur is still pretty slow compared to Guilty Gear or The King of Fighters and especially toward something Marvel vs. Capcom. VF4 is pretty much the fastest 3D fighter out there, but its still won’t offer the turbo control of something like Third Strike or Darkstalkers or Samurai Shodown. The other thing 2D fighters have going for them is their movement range, jumping is much more key in 2D fighters than it ever has been in any 3D fighter, and other than Psychic Force or the awful Toshinden games (or Bloody Roar 3) there isn’t much of an air game, and variable juggles just don’t work very well. The movement input doesn’t allow 3D fighters as many variations on moves either, since part of the controls have to compensate for the 3D space that 2D fighters don’t need. A character like Sakura don’t work quite as well in 3D because their most valuable moves are often dependant on this. Also, 3D fighters don’t lend themselves as well to fantasy elements, such as projectiles. Only Tobal 2 and Virtual On ever did projectiles well.

Though grappling and throwing is often improved in 3D!

-Kitsune

I hope I don’t get banned for this, but UFC Tapout for the Xbox is a lot of fun against a friend. Once both players reach an average skill level you’ll have some extremely intense bouts with lots of screaming and yelling. After a few matches your hands will be sore enough to make you want to soak them in icewater. Although two guys rolling around on the ground may not sound like fun (except maybe for Voltaic :D ), the game really is a good time.

P.S., don’t bother playing Tapout 2, it’s a horrible waste of plastic.

Dude.[/quote]

Seriously.[/quote]

Where’s my car?[/quote]

Sweet.[/quote]

Word.[/quote]

Beleted!

I hated fighting games until I got drawn into Powerstone. Then my addiction was solidified with Soul Calibur that I play even now. I have tried the 2D fighters and they don’t do anything for me. I love the 3D and weapons in SC and the fact that you can start out as a button masher and do cool things. Then after a while you see the fantastic depth in the game. I like the salad bar approach to combos instead of the memorize 13 button combos that other games use.