File Planet, File Shack, Gamespot... is it worth paying?

I pay for Fileplanet. I’m in CA, and its nice to be able to download stuff whenver I feel like it without having to play the Google game.

hehe. Glad you didn’t take it personally. I cuss everyone. Especially on Wednesdays. :D

I subscribe to Fileplanet, but part of the reason is that I like all the gameplay videos and such that they host. Like the selection of mods and maps for games, those can be hard to find other places.

Or wait in line on the “free” servers. I don’t need instant gratification.

I urge everyone reading this to spend money on games, rather than subscriptions to innumerable internet gaming sites. No offense to Steve, Tom, Desslock, Greg et al, but consumers should be supporting the developers first and foremost.

Ugh. I hate the idea that we’re supposed to support developers. We should approach games as consumers and reward the good products and punish the poor ones.

You’re not seriously suggesting that I want people to buy bad games? Buy the good ones, and leave the rest to languish on the shelves. I thought that went without saying. There are far more good games released than I can afford to buy, and my gaming budget is substantial.

I thought that went without saying

Hence the need to post it? :)

Seriously, though, I doubt gamers are buying fewer games because their resources are being eaten up by the IGN subscriber’s fee. We’re all enthusiasts. We like to read about our hobby as well as actually doing it.

-Tom

I’ve probably spent more time on this forum in aggregate than all but perhaps two or three games I’ve ever owned. So I guess what you’re saying is, technically I owe you money.

LMAO!! uhm, yeah?

Has anyone mentioned Gigex yet? They almost never get debut demos, but after a week or so of being patient a demo usually shows up. Plus they have that cool software that lets you start and stop if you lose your connection. I just like watching the pretty colored lines go up and down on the bandwidth/download speed/quality gauge.

I have both Fileshack and Fileplanet suscriptions.

At first Fileplanet seemed fine in that download speeds weren’t capped but as time went on it slowly dropped to where now I rarely, if ever, see any download go higher than 70k sec. I’ve also noticed that FP will retain your cookie if you leave ads enabled but once you disable them you can bet you’ll need to log back in shortly after necessitating one to disable the ads again forcing you to re-log etc etc. On the plus side FP carries just about every file imaginable.

On the other hand I couldn’t be happier with Fileshack. 20 mb of storage space, POP 3 email account and downloads that hit my Cox.net imposed limit of 350k sec EVERY single time. The only downside is they don’t have some of the more obscure files one miight find at Fileplanet.

I can’t comment on Gamespot today but the single thing I miss most about their former free downloading service was that they carried every single demo for every game of any note of the past 10+ years. I actually used to have a ball just downloading old demos for hours on end checking out games from years past.

Most of these sites allow you to order the files on CD now as well. If you don’t download a lot of files and can wait a bit until you need 600 megs worth, it might be a better deal. The CDs are fairly cheap, I think…certainly comparable to the monthly fees. I haven’t ordered any yet, but that’s probably the route I would take if I wanted big files that I can’t really dL from other sites.

It IS cheaper than BigNaturals.com though.