Final Fantasy Pixel (Re)Master Thread

A dedicated thread for the upcoming Pixel Remasters of Final Fantasy 1 through 6. Announced somewhat recently, we had a leaked look at the game via a presentation that was taken down very quickly but not before folks managed to get screenshots and information.

It sounds like the game will be releasing in installments starting with the first game, and we see that FFV and VI (the mobile ports currently on Steam) are going to be taken down in July, presumably to make way for these updated/better versions. We also know this is coming to Mobile and Steam, though I would love it on the Switch and I’m sure I’m not alone there.

Having seen the leaked screenshots for this I’m pretty stoked to have a real good version coming for these classics that has received some modern attention and updates. To me the new pixels look just incredible while still feeling old school and while I haven’t played many of these more than a few times and not recently, I know I love them all and welcome a reason to jump back in.

Some screens!

Final Fantasy I

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

More info in Wario64’s thread on Twitter:

No information on specific release dates, but it looks like July is when at least the first title is dropping. I myself am looking forward to jumping in as each game is launched, but we don’t know price either (probably not more than $8-15 based on the currently available games on mobile/Steam prices). But information like that will be coming and that’s what this thread is for. Anyone else pumped to jump back into these remastered (pixel) classics?

I can’t imagine finding the time to replay any of these, but I appreciate that they’re making them.

Yeah, this is where I am as well. I’ve got a lot of nostalgia for I, IV, V, and VI, and am glad that a faithful version will be available. But my tastes have drifted away from RPGs in general, and I just don’t see myself putting the time into them.

For some reason, this announcement has caused a lot of debate around the pixel art, some bleeding into questions of game preservation in general.

I’m disappointed in the character sprites. They have that washed out, bad emulator filter look and are missing detail from the originals. For a remaster I’d expect them to be adding detail instead of making everything look flat.

Re: Finding the time to play them.

It’s definitely an issue. I’ve never found the time to play the PS Vita at all, period. But I have this fantasy that one day I’ll be stuck somewhere out in the world, maybe waiting for my kid to get through sports practice of some sort, and I’ll think to bring the PS Vita with me, and I own Final Fantasy 6 on it now, so I’ll play through that.

It could happen! For some reason, I’ll take the PS Vita with me instead of just my phone. I don’t know why. It will be a weird set of days. But it might happen.

Haven’t read that piece yet, but now I’m disappointed about this:

Edit: yes, what @WarpRattler said below.

The English text in these remasters is atrocious.

And not exactly the same thing, but I’m reminded of this meme from a few days ago.

I will say that despite not liking the new sprite work I’m vaguely interested in these releases. It’ll be nice to have everything available with QoL features (and hopefully on Switch in the future) and expect to see mod work on the PC version that will fix some of the issues.

Is there an equivalent screenshot from the original? Is the issue that the font looks too modern?

No, the issues are that the font is tiny and that it doesn’t mesh at all with anything else around it. The latter is an obvious stylistic issue (that doesn’t exist with the Japanese font in the screenshots in the first post), but as for the former, imagine playing this on mobile as intended and trying to read that text.

And for comparison, here’s the equivalent from the generally well-regarded GBA version:

Ah yes, agreed. I just loaded this page on my phone, and it is indeed really tiny.

Thanks @Thraeg, that’s a very informative comparison. I definity like the GBA version the best out of the 3. The graphics, the fonts, and the font size.

It’s more costly, but the original games on original hardware is still the best way to go. Nowadays it’s gotten easier than ever to get a device to allow you play on your HDTV. For example…

$80 and almost every old console is covered.

That’s technically more expensive than the bundle.

It’s also pixel perfect. :)

Wait, you have to also have a NES and a SNES and the games? I haven’t had access to those in ages. Hell, some of them I borrowed from people I haven’t spoken to in 30 years. Wait, aren’t some of these only available on like a Super Famicon originally? How is this even remotely easier?

I’ll just put up with better visuals and out of place HD text, I think. :)

Dear god, that HD text looks horrendous.

It’s funny. I’ve been going another round with the brilliant PS4 remasters of the two best FF games, and Square did an absolutely fantastic job with both. Dunno why they suck so badly at the NES/SNES era ones.

Until I saw the font, I thought it looked like a pretty good path to take. Making everything up in the FF IV-VI art and sprite style is a solid choice.

But, yeah, the text is glaring. Fortunately I still have my PS1 collection around. Nothing has ever convinced me that any release since is better than them. Especially the mobile ports on Steam.