Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Finally a worthy sequel

I want this game, but not paying $88 for it in stores :(
(Helloooo, US webstores!)

Yep, the change to stealing is a very nice one for me as well. I’ll steal as much as I can during fights without buggering the flow of the battle, but it’s not something I have to obsess over or anything. It is totally worth it to steal as much loot as possible from boss/unusual monsters though, since they unsurprisingly seem to have the best stuff.

Steal Gil is actually useful too; I’m always broke as hell and it gives a fair amount of monies. Think I ganked like 2.5k from Klesta in one battle.

Also: Blue Mages rule. I heart Sandstorm.

So I picked this up, and yes, it’s pretty sweet.

You know, this is such a step up in every way since the last release- interesting, varied classes, fun side quests, much less focus on story…yet the difficulty just seems too low. I wish I could simply reset the difficulty to hard rather than be faced with starting over if I want a decent challenge.

Ah well. It’s still fun, even if it isn’t hard!

My biggest issue with the first FFTA game was that of the 300 available missions, 2/3rd’s of them were of the passive “send units off for a few turns and hope they come back with lootz” variety. The actual battle missions were pretty dull and uninteresting as well with only the law system to spice up the often-easy combat.

I was heavilly addicted to the upgrades and jobs regardless, but the game felt lacking. Glad to hear so many positive comments about the sequel.

I’ve come across several fights in which I’ve failed quests. Particulary against undead. Man, I hate those things. Also, the fey with their “hit every unit on the board for massive damage” spells while I have the “No MP use” law in effect. I am glad that breaking the law is so much less harsh now, and I find myself breaking it fairly often, most times as a knee-jerk reaction when the AI breaks the law I’m supposed to uphold.

Yeah, I noticed that the other team doesn’t even attempt to follow the laws either.

Right now I just wish I had more people on my team (only 2 hours in or so) so I have more combinations for when I get some wierd rule like :no MP use"

I had one battle where knockback was outlawed. Now, maybe I’m missing something but how in the heck can I control whether a normal melee attack does knockback or not? With one Black Mage and one crappy Archer, I could hardly not use swords…

Position your melee fighters so they only hit an enemy who cannot be moved back a square by your attack.

I’m a few days into this and I just unlocked the auction house. It seems to be super unbelievably awesome for getting rare items very easily, to the point where I’m wondering what the catch is.

Once I’ve mastered an area, which isn’t very hard to do, subsequent auctions let me pay my 20 clan points and enter to (easily) win 4-5 rare items. Then I wander off to one of the huts that lets me sleep for 200 days and snooze until the next auction begins. I should add that I currently have something like 1400 clan points, so it’s looking like I could just rinse and repeat this plan many many times in a row for a bunch of cool items. Anyone else unlocked the auction house and tried this same type of thing?

How about that Roar, huh? Works 100% for the enemy, 0% for me! GRRR!

I’m considering ditching the Blue Magick if all abilities are that fickle. It’s also a huge PITA to actually get hit to Learn the silly things.

I did not play FFT or the PSP remake. I did play FFTA but never got past the snowball fight. Ha!

I am about 15 hours into this and I like it a lot. I have stayed up a couple of nights playing it WAY too long.

Not having any FF(T) experience, the job/skill/race combinations are a little overwhelming, but the game’s difficulty level is extremely reasonable on normal so this is not a big deal.

The laws can be a little irritating but they are just a bonus most of the time, not required to win (clan trials being the exeption, sometimes?). Really the only time I have been frustrated is when you get a law that can be broken despite your best effort to stay on the straight and narrow. For example, the law against knockbacks means, because of crits doing a knockback, you have to not use physical attacks if you want to be sure you dont break it. I have also had characters charmed who break laws.

As for why your enemies do not follow laws, the story explains this. Judges are for clans only and they are optional. You and your clan swear to a specific judge and he kind of watches over you if you pay attention to him. Why the laws are so bizarre and random, is not explained.

The bazaar is cool. I think they should do a better job of making loot less random though. I am getting totally hosed for some classes, having only 2-3 items with abilities for them available, while racking up piles of items that grant abilities to classes I do not even have access to.

The auction is also an interesting mechanic. Fun.

The only real complaint I have about the game is the same one I have about most J(S)RPGs. Too cutesy.

I’m about 17 hours in (most of my main troops I use are level 29-32 or so) and I’m really digging it. In some ways (the very fun Bazaar, tons of quests, the variety in races/jobs) it’s actually better than War of the Lions (though I think over-all that’s still the better title).

My only real complaint so far is there are a LOT of Dispatch type quests, but since there are no random battles it’s a simple matter to assign a party, walk around for a few seconds until they return, and rinse/repeat. I usually do this until all the “on the map” quests are left, so I can turn in the rewards at the bazaar to see what new gear is available.

My party so far has my main as a Paladin, I have a Black/Time mage who is VERY useful, my Dragoon is a Tank and a half, I have an Elementalist/White mage who is also very powerful, and a Moogle Knight that needs to shape up or get replaced. Good stuff so far, in other words. Oh, I have a hunter who is useful but probably not that good, I may see about making him into a blue mage or something.

Picked it up last night, mostly thanks to this thread. Was in the mood for a strategy RPG while waiting for Disgaea 3.

Great stuff so far. I can’t remember the last DS game I played as much in one night. Really nice production values, very polished. Could have done without the extended/boring intro sequence though. Also, confirming the direction of the characters every single time is a bit much.

The jobs system and bazaar are interesting and fun (never played an FFT before). Must… unlock… more… items!

I had that happen to me last night. They charmed my archer in a battle where distant attacks were not allowed, and he attacked someone. It was late in the battle too, so I was simultaneously frustrated and amused, heh.

Dude. Have him learn the better Soldier skills (Rend Power/Magick/Speed) and turn him back into a Hunter (or Archer, really; the later Archer skills are quite good). 99% Rend Speed from halfway across the map ignoring LOS? Yes please.

I got “Cannot target adjacent units” last night, and that resulted in a restart and dropping of that quest. I only have 3 ranged (sniper, hunter, fusilier) guys and 1 caster (b/w) - everyone else is melee.

Prioritize getting some ranged attacks! Seriously, I do that for everyone on my team. Even the melee types can get air render, aurablast, moogle lance, etc. Being able to attack at range is a big edge.

Ah, good call. I’m not that experienced with FFT games so that didn’t occur to me. I’ll remember it though.

Most of my melee guys do have some ranged, but I was more afraid of the Counter firing off and breaking the law.

Overall, I suppose breaking the law is no big deal - I’ve done it quite often already. I was hoping that after the quest where I rescued my judge, he’d be more inclined to give me some better laws. ;)