Final Fantasy VII is Back

Maxigames only.

The internet is providing.

Fuck Iā€™m excited for this game again now

Lost interest when I found out the game is episodic.

Still chuckling.

Anyway, would everyone who wants to compare FFXII combat with FFXVā€™sā€¦situationā€¦please present themselves to the majordomo so that they can form an orderly queue for being kicked in the nuts for their crimes against humanity? Thatā€™d be great.

Also, episodic worked awesome for the beloved story, characters, and gameplay of Half-Life 2, so idk why yā€™all are being so precious about it here.

Also2, reading posts by Brian Seiler and Rimbo upthread (thanks for the necro, ya weirdos) was a trip.

Cloud, Prison Bitch. Coming Fall 2019. Directed by Ang Lee.

Half-Life 2 wasnā€™t already a twenty-year-old game when it was released. Everyone was frothing at the mouth to get more Half-Life story, but everyone already knows how Final Fantasy 7 goes.

I predict a ton of people are going to buy in to check out the first episode. But after that? The only people buying it are going to be people who like how it plays. And given Squareā€™s recent track record of trying desperately to come up with a real-time combat system that doesnā€™t blow goats, my moneyā€™s on ā€œthisā€™ll be cancelled before they get to Nibelheim.ā€

(although Iā€™d love to be wrong).

Releasing 3 March, 2020.

But thatā€™s in the past.

Haha, my mistake!

The production values for this remake are seriously impressive.

Okay, anyone hearing Mark Hamill in there? Right?

Also, this looks cool. It may not be the remake I asked for or wanted, but damned if Iā€™m going to be able to skip it either. Hereā€™s hoping itā€™s as much fun to play as it is to look at.

So itā€™s not going to be weird that Cloud still never talks, huh?

Just finished this video - I think Iā€™m going to really enjoy this. The tactical pause, smoothly controlling characters to have them use special abilities/spells, the visuals while still tripping some nostolgia - it seems neat, I have to admit. They talk about how great it would be if the game eventually unlocked a gambit style system so you could set targets like having Tifa use Cure if she has the ATB bar to pull it off, and someone neads healing, but Iā€™d think that would be in the game by this point in the demo/video if it was going to be. It would be cool though.

I still wonder how many years it will take them to release the full game.

Cuz due to a wacky series of happenstance, I had to play through the Midgar portion of FF7 like four times over the years, but never got further than near the end of disk two apart from that. Figure it Iā€™m ever gonna see the whole thing, it may as well be this way, but I feel like theyā€™re going to dribble out chapters for the next decade at the current rate.

FWIW, you played the vastly superior part of the game.

Wow, that looks really good. Still, should it be taking THIS long? And do they really need to release this in chunks? The RE2 remake was fantastic and didnā€™t take 10 years to make.

Sure, RE2 is not a 50 hour RPG, but we all know 50 hour JRPGs amount to about 42 hours of combat, 6 hours of cut-scenes and 2 hours of map traversal.

Square needs to get their shit together. I mean, it took them about 10 years to finish FF 15.

I would love to see a remake of this caliber for FF IX (or VI!) but then Iā€™d be about 80 by the time it was done.

Wow, this is excellent news!

The most surprising announcement came in the form of the ā€œclassicā€ battle option. Final Fantasy VII Remake reinvents the original battle system and focuses on action, but players who want an experience closer to the original can turn on the classic option. This creates a more traditional turn-based feeling in combat.

Oh thank goodness. I bounced off XV because of the spammy combat.

I am really skeptical that this will actually feel like the classic combat.