Final Fantasy X - X2 HD Remaster

I’m still waiting for the retail Vita version of this collection to be $20. Having one of these games take up a giant chunk of my memory card will be bad enough; I’m certainly not dealing with both of them doing so, so digital isn’t really an option regardless of price point, and I’d just play the PS2 versions instead if I were going to bother playing these games on a console.

That is a bummer about the cut scenes. I don’t normally platinum games ( I have one whole plat trophy) but I was thinking about this one. I was grossly overestimating my patience however, and with the necessity of watching hours of cut scenes to get those missing two al bhed primers, coupled with one particular trophy, I think I might be done.

The particular trophy is the Sphere Master one that requires you to complete the entire sphere grid… for every single party member. Completing the sphere grid means you have to unlock, purchase and fill every single blank hole in the entire grid to get the trophy… for all 7 people. That just seems like a lot of un-fun busy work. It takes long enough to get 3 characters to godlike status, much less 7.

Might be time to move on to FFX-2

Does anybody know how well this has sold? If there is still a remote chance we could get a HD remaster of FFXII. I hated that game when it first came out but somehow down the years it kind of grew on me. I could play it via PCSX2 on the PC but I would prefer it on Vita/console instead.

I would like that as well. FF XII would be a welcome addition to my Vita lineup. According to wikipedia, the remasters sold at least half a million units. For a reboot I would think that was pretty good sales.

EDIT: Seems like it would also be easy enough to release Crisis Core for Vita while we are wishing…

Well, @WarpRattler was right on the pricing strategy by Square Enix. The game is out today for Xbox and Switch. For the Xbox I was totally ready to buy it, but it’s priced at $50. That’s just crazy.

Yeah, I’d be super excited to pick this up on Switch, but it’ll be quite some time until it drops to a reasonable price point instead of the $50 nonsense launch price.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 is $25 this week on Xbox Live. Getting there! I think the PS4 version was on sale for $8 a couple of Black Fridays ago at Walmart. I’m waiting for that price on Xbox.

Nice. I got it for the Vita at release, but may now get it for Xbox. I think I’ve picked up most FF games at least twice for varying systems.

I download this on my new PC yesterday, as well as on the Xbox series X. (It got added to Game Pass yesterday). I think both versions have separate achievements. I know I’ve already played through the game 4 times, but I’m tempted to dive in again separately on both platforms.

Maybe I can setup some rules for myself, maybe Kimari can go in completely different directions on the sphere tree in both playthroughs?

On the other hand, holy shit, I should be playing more games that I haven’t gotten to yet, not replaying games I’ve already played through 4 times to completion. Seriously.

Awesome, dude! Now pick it up again for the Switch!

And I did. And I put about 5 hours into each version before getting annoyed with those stupid temple puzzles. I don’t know how I managed it on the PS2 back in the day. I love this game except for that aspect of it and want to play it to completion since the first time I played it I got stuck on one of the Seymour bosses.

Never played any FF game. Or jrpg for that matter (Automata is something else).

So just out of curiosity I downloaded this on PC gamepass…

It is so weird. First there is like 5 minute long cutscene with some emos sitting around, then a blonde surferboy gets up, all the while credits show on screen. Then this cutscene ends, menu appears, with two choices:
new game
load

No options or exit anywhere. So I pick new game. It asks me some nonsense about standard or expert “sphere grids”. I assume it is a difficulty, but have no idea, so I google it on my phone. Apparently this has something to do with the way character skill points are assigned or some such. I pick standard.

Then the cutscene that played before, plays again! This time without the credits. Then it ends, and suddenly I am in control of the blonde surfer boy. No idea who I am, what world this is, what am I supposed to do. I am pressing all the buttons on the controller, and except for analog to move and start to pause, no button does anything.

In order to access menu, I have to press ESC on my keyboard. On the gamepad (Xbox one pad) there is no function mapped for the menu.

Anyway, I go talk to some fans, apparently, sign their balls…and that’s where I quit.

Not a great first impression, though I am not judging the game based on it.

I wonder though, is the whole game played through static cameras? There is no normal third person? For some reason I thought it was a third person game.

I remember back when this came out, it was also my first JRPG too, and it created a similar bad impression when I started it.

It gets better! It is static cameras throughout the game, but sometimes they are positioned to follow you, like a 3rd person game, but you still don’t control the camera, it’s pre-programmed based on your position.

And yeah, all that is annoying.

That intro, all of it is very confusing at first. The story slowly unravels everything and more and more is revealed. This happens throughout the game, and the layers are revealed over time so you know more and more and more, all the way to the end. It’s very irritating to start with, but by the end, I loved how they weave the story to reveal the plot over the course of a 30-40 hour adventure, and even when I replayed the game, I enjoyed that story revelation, and the way they take the player on that journey. That’s why I have replayed the game to completion four times. I enjoy those layers and the way they reveal the world and the story of the world over the course of the runtime.

Thanks. I will give it a proper try once I wrap up Resident Village and Days Gone.

Yeah, definitely give it another chance. The action kicks in shortly after that fan greeting session.

I complained about the temple puzzles, but it’s not because they’re bad, it’s just that I don’t care for puzzle solving in my JRPGs - I don’t have the patience and it kills pacing. But overall, it’s one of the better FF games.

For something with a more western flavor, I highly recommend FF XII.

20 years old yesterday!

I’m a little busy with other games right now, but I definitely plan to replay it on the Xbox soon.

This and the XII remaster (on PS4 at least) are absolutely beautifully done. Strong rec!

Yep, and they’re the last two great FF games. It’s a shame what’s happened to the series.

I love X, but I still hate those temple puzzles. Kills pacing for me and some of the later ones were frustrating.

Oh the cloisters are a series of bad designs implemented poorly, no doubt. But hey, we have the Internet now!

Unfortunately, chocobo racing and lightning dodging can’t be fixed with a strategy guide. I really do hope whoever is responsible for those particular turds stubs his toe every day for the rest of his life.

I handed each of those off to a different friend. One of them looked at the Chocobo racing and said it looked easy to him. We scoffed at him and gave him the controller until he finished it. And a different friend of mine thought the lightning strikes looked easy, so he got the controller until he proved himself.

Still, both of those were optional side thingies only necessary if you want the perfect weapons. Which we got in that playthrough, but they didn’t add much to the game.

There is a Steam mod for the lightning at least, ugh.