Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age (HD Remaster Take All My Money)

I deferred that choice as there wasn’t much for her to do right away (and I couldn’t decide). And then she left the party soon after joining anyway… after you do the sunstone quest.

But I’m def. swinging towards White Mage with her, and was thinking Uhlan as secondary.

Man, the localization is so special here. Not only are the “teehee, I’m just a girl” girls absent, but there’s a delicious dearth of “…” boys, too. The voice acting is fantastic and the translators really made the dialog their own. Like Pasternak and Shakespeare.

I’m still in analysis paralysis with respect to job distribution, but am inching closer to saying “f*ck it” and just going with it. My favorite character is Balthier, though, so I’ll want him to have a good setup.

This and Persona 5 are pretty much the only reasons I’ve wanted a P4. I know there are other worthy exclusives but these two are reasons enough for me. I am just afraid I will never get to my backlog :(

I am so glad they’ve rereleased this somewhat underrated gem; wish they would do the same for FF IX. A remake of FF Tactics and IV or VI and Square would be God in my book, again!

Also, if I may add to this for @rhamorim’s sake, Horizon, Uncharted series, and especially The Last of Us are also very much worth having the console for.

I’m having so much fun with Shades of Black - a technique that casts a random Black Magick spell for 0 MP - with my Samurai/Knight character. He was using it because of a lack of ways for him to hit fliers so I started spamming this and man, it’s fun. Even weaker spells like Poison or Fire do solid damage given the Samurai’s higher Magick stat (used for Katanas).

I made a little 30 second spot of Vaan kicking off a SoB and scoring what looks like a really high level thunder spell, doing more than six or seven times the damage any of my other characters can do. So much fun!

I broke, had to pick this up. XII was easily my favorite FF by a large margin, followed eventually by tactics. It’s downloading now, though it was going to take 4 hours till I found out you can setup a proxy per here that took me down to 20 minutes. So should be playing soon!

Allow me to be the contrary opinion for @rhamorim s sake. Because consoles are more relatively expensive for him than us, because Brazil. Also we know that it is highly probable that FF XII will get a PC release. Probably in a year given how Square operates. Obvious speculation, but due to PS 4 using x86 architecture, one I’d be more than willing to take.

FF XII is one of my favorites, for the reasons discussed here. I am absolutely with scott in liking the gameplay, and that’s before the new job system. But there are plenty of older FF games I know he can play, so I’d do that until the time that it comes to PC. But I’m of the opinion that the only console worth having aside from PC is the Nintendo ones, and I know Roberto has one of those ;)

Because I want Balthier to always be around, I’m making him a Bushi/Knight.

Balthier – Bushi/knight
Vaan – Shikari/Foebreaker
Ashe – Black Mage/Monk
Penelo – White Mage/??Machinist
Fran – Archer/Red Mage
Basch – Uhlan/Time Mage

I think…

Also, although I might grind at times, I’m not going to use any of the manifold tricks to power level or get powerful weapons early. I just want to enjoy myself on a normal difficulty curve.

Yes indeed. The cheapest (legal) PS4 Pro I can find in Brazil costs R$ 2200, which, at current exchange rates, amounts to around US$ 690. If you try for equivalent currency in terms of purchasing power, then it would be closer to US$ 900.

As for games, a typical US$ 60 PS4 game at release costs somewhere from R$ 150 to R$ 270 (so roughly US$ 47 to US$ 85). PC games on Steam at that price range in US are usually around R$ 105-130.

So yeah, consoles are way too expensive here. It might make sense to pay US$ 400 to play a game, but in my case (not considering purchasing power), I’d be paying around US$ 750 to play one game. I guess you’ll agree with me that’s crazy. ;)

Sooo… I’m just past the part where I seem to have finally got all of the characters together. :)

I built my team based on what the characters seemed to be geared towards initially. Here they are, with planned secondaries in brackets:

Vaan: Shikari (foebreaker)
Basch: Knight (bushi)
Fran: Archer (red mage)
Balthier: Machinist (uhlan)
Ashe: Time Battlemage (white mage)
Penelo: Monk (black mage)

I have Ashe and Penelo left to assign initial roles to, my question is at this stage of the game which role should go first? Monk or Black? Time or White? I get the feeling I’m starting to need some more hard-core heals and buffs/debuffs!

Black and white I would do first. By the time you unlock the second zodiac you will have needed both of them.

White Mage for sure - earliest access to critical healing and removal spells, like Vox and such. Time Mage has some neat tricks early on, but not enough for a first class.

I would probably make Penelo a Monk first - build up her HP reserve first. Why? You don’t really get amazing black spells nor near enough MP to actually use them for awhile. Now, once you do (where I am at level 29 or so for her she’s dropping spells that hit an area for 3k or more damage, more than triple what one of my melee guys pull off, and she’s got Chanelling 3 and a Sage Ring so said spell takes like 8 of her 380 MP, and then she gains a little of that back from Warmage (gains MP for dealing damge with spells) and Headhunter (gain MP for killing an enemy).

Plus at that point you’ll have many more gambit slots you can use to set up her magic, for things like “if Fire-Weak: Firaga” or “If 2 or more enemies: Bio” and such.

As a Black Mage early on she didn’t have any problem doing her fair share during fights, but once she was out of MP I’d have to swap her out until the next Crystal or use Ethers, which I was loath to. I paired her with Red Mage though, not Monk, but I can see early game Monk being a great fit for late-game Black Mage.

Thanks guys, that sorts that out! Excellent game btw, loving it.

Does anyone want the code for the digital version of the Prima Game Guide? I always get the collector’s guides for games like these to put on my bookshelf (this one is getting quite the work out already) but I never need or want the digital versions. None of my friends are into this in real life so I’d like the code to go to a good home.

Sure, I’ll take it.

Man, I didn’t get up early enough in the morning today!

Heh, sorry man, early bird gets the worm and all that. :)

If it makes you feel better, I see the digital version is only $10. I kind of recommend the book though, it’s handy to have access to without having to get over to a PC, though it’s $25 (which is a pretty decent price, imo, it’s a nice looking and very handy guide).

Haha, oh, of course.

$10 is kinda tempting. Just for the subquest and hunt reference if nothing else.

Also, Brawler is a damn lie.

Played the PS2 version of FFXII on my original PS3 with backwards-compatibility and thought it was great addition to the series. There was a bit of a grind necessary to level up at a couple points, which I very much disliked. I would definitely take a go at the remake if I ever have that much gaming time available.

If I had known this was a thing… goddammit. Well, on the plus side it’s been like 7 years since I played it last thanks to not knowing about it, so it’s been an extra treat for me as I am barely remembering story beats and locations/dialog/and all that jazz at all. Getting old has its perks! :)