Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age (HD Remaster Take All My Money)

Have we ever done a big inverted vs “normal” camera argument here? I feel like we must have, at some point. PS2 FF XII was my personal revenge for half a dozen games of that era that locked it the other way and were infuriating as a result. Having that option on every game now might be the best quality of life improvement we’ve seen in the last decade of gaming - being able to invert the camera is much more important to me than a steady 60 fps.

The real killer for me was definitely what you mention re: the story dropping off in the last quarter or so of the game. I finished it, but it was a slog to the end that definitely dampened my enthusiasm for FF XII overall. I’m probably in on the remaster because “more interesting job building” is right up my alley, but I’m not exactly preordering and ticking the days off on my calendar.

I hated inverted cameras but I find I get used to them pretty quickly. Hopefully in today’s market they have an option to let you just pick the way you want it to be?

Yeah, the third act of FFXII is for beating on monsters, not the story :/ Still doesn’t stop it from being either my favorite or second-favorite FF game.

I think anyone that played a lot of early flight sims, got used to ‘down = push forward’, I certainly did. Any game that doesn’t allow me to do this is just a complete non starter for me. Not being able to rebind keys in general is pretty much an instant no buy.

Me when I realize I have to wait over 2 months yet to play this again:

But things like the new trailer that just dropped make the wait… well, a little harder actually. This is a pretty great trailer.

I’m surprised by how much of that I don’t remember. I stopped short of the end of the game, because I was trying to collect as many of the end game weapons as possible but never finished. I thought I was only, at most, 3-4 hours from the end. Perhaps not, or perhaps I forgot more than I realized.

Or there was backloading of a bunch of story bits too. That’s possible.

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lots of footage out there from a recent event. Here is a nice overview from Gamespot covering how combat works, for those that have forgotten or were merely curious. EDIT - He’s not very good at explaining things at all. If anyone wants an actual explanation for how combat, the gambit system, and the overall mechanics work let me know and I’ll write something up.

Casting the Protect Spell:

Also, looks like Prima has a strategy guide for this new edition. This works out very well as the old guide I had was lost to some flooding in my basement, so I’m glad for the opportunity to put a FF12 guide back on my shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XII-Zodiac-Collectors/dp/0744018323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495566135&sr=8-1&keywords=final+fantasy+xii+strategy+guide

I think the binding on my original guide fell apart.

Now that you mention it, mine was in a pretty precarious situation. In truth, when I found it ruined I wasn’t too upset at the time - I’d just wrapped up an 80 hour play through (my second and the last time I played it, on an emulator this time it was) and I figured I’d never play it again. Of course, that was about 7 years ago and now I’m chomping at the bit to play it again, and an all new, updated version to boot.

This comes out in just over a week, at last!

Prima is putting out a guide and I see a few days ago they updated their site to include a few samples, for those wondering if the guide might be something they would want:

Also, some sort of video embargo must have lifted, there are a handful of content creators out there with videos talking about the changes and playing the game it looked like. If anyone wants to see stuff like the new 4x speed mode, map overlay, or the new job boards and the like in action it’s pretty easy to dig up finally.

[quote=“Scott_Lufkin, post:91, topic:78666”]
This comes out in just over a week, at last!
[/quote] AAAAAHHHH

No news on a PC port yet… :(

I wouldn’t expect any (news) for several months after release, given the timeline of the previous remastered FF effort so far (FF13, X/X-2). I am confident PC will get one, they used PC’s to create this remaster for one thing, but I’m guessing it’s Q1 or even Q2 2018 just to ensure PS4 gets as many sales as possible before Steam wets their beak.

Oh well, sounds fine to me, really. I should finish Lightning Returns anyway. :-D

Someone (finally) did a proper video showing off the graphical upgrade from original to the remaster.

Worth a look if you want to see some of the visual updates. I personally mostly enjoy the UI upgrades (HD license boards, the party management screens, etc. that I showed off a few months ago up thread) but it’s neat to see the first town in a little more detail.

Jeremy Parish posted a detailed making of FFXII article over at Polygon, featuring interviews with the project leads of the Zodiac Age who worked on the original game. Well worth checking out!

Thanks for posting that. Seems like SquEnix just can’t get it together for these FF games starting with FF12. Really wish they had just followed the template set by that entry; for me XII had the best gameplay and world-building in an FF game.

It’s admirable they try something new for each entry but the series has become so disjointed. But I have a feeling that due to FFXV’s success, the next game will be similar.

I don’t want FF12 to be the final, ahem, fantasy, but it’s fucking great and everything since has been mediocre at best, sooooooooo

What? No! FF XIII-2 is fantastic.