Final Fantasy XIV General Discussion Thread

What’s the matter, you don’t like having the opportunity to level White Mage twice? ;)

That said, the general accessibility of FFXI itself has improved over the years (though not radically), so perhaps there is cause for cautious optimism.

Well my hope is that since this is a blank slate, they’ll learn from their mistakes. I’ve said this before I’m sure, but if they cut out the bad stuff from FFXI and keep the good stuff that doesn’t need the bad stuff to work (which is maybe eighty percent of it), it could be something really special.

Bad stuff in FFXI was all easily fixable if acknowledged.

The huge problem here is having a dev studio building a service and then being unable to draw feedback and interact with that public (language barrier). So I doubt they’ve figured out something new.

What you can hope is that they copy good things from other games.

I’d imagine the control issue was not easily fixable beyond sending everyone a free ps2 controller.

Douglas on QTT: It must have been one of those 30 day free trials they were running. I could have swore it was free though (although obviously it is not after checking their site). I remember trying to get a couple of my friends to try it out with me to play casually, but they didn’t care for it (one of them quit minutes after installing it making various… critical comments about the controls).

Yeah, FFXI was really made to be played on a controller. There was a keyboard mapping that allowed you to use WASD for movement, but even that had its oddities compared to other MMOs.

Or maybe make proper controls for PC?

Not without weakening some of the good stuff. The party combat couldn’t have been nearly as intricate and exciting (when in a good party) if the game didn’t basically require you to level in a full party that was designed and built correctly.

The huge problem here is having a dev studio building a service and then being unable to draw feedback and interact with that public (language barrier). So I doubt they’ve figured out something new.

Really? It’s 2010, not 1986, dude. I’m pretty sure SE has plenty of translators on staff, and I’m equally sure that none of the various problems with FFXI can be blamed on those crazy Japanese guys not being able to understand us when we talk.

What you can hope is that they copy good things from other games.

If I wanted them to copy other games, I’d play those other games. Of all the ways that FFXIV could go wrong, the worst of all would be for it to be one more WoW clone. Fortunately, it doesn’t sound like that’s what it’s shaping up to be.

Or maybe make proper controls for PC?

To each his own, but I’ve been frustrated by every MMO since for not having good gamepad controls.

That is exactly how I feel about it. And having already leveled WHM to 75 once, there’s just not enough incentive to do it again. SMN doesn’t really start to become interesting until 70+, and even then, it’s still a weak support job that’s useful in limited roles. I was WHM/SMN until Scholar came around… Now I don’t touch SMN at all.

I’m glad that S-E is designing another flexible job system in FF14; FFXI’s job system is probably its best feature.

Regarding the controller issue: I’ve pretty much played using a controller since the beginning. The interface was designed around the PlayStation 2, and it shows. Originally I started with a DualShock controller, hooked up through a USB adapter. Later, I used a 360 controller with the wireless interface. These days, I’m using a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2, which works well. I expect to use the same setup for 14, unless the mouse interface gets a lot better there. The mouse is downright weird and clumsy in 11.

Looks like the open beta is open today? I’m pulling it down now, give it a run tonight after work. My son and I let our WoW sub die out so maybe I’ll copy the files to his PC and we’ll try this out together. Has anyone else tried this yet? Is it worth the download to give it a try?

I HATED FF XI with the passion of a thousand exploding suns, but I had heard this is going to be a bit more user friendly/mainstream, so we’ll see.

I am downloading client at a blistering 100KB a second!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Postponed

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which is scheduled to begin at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010, will be postponed due to a confirmation of critical bugs. New schedule will be released at a later date.

Along with the postponement of FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, the issuing of registration code for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be postponed as well. With the download of client software’s installer, it will be suspended at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

After I spent half an hour jumping through hoops just to get that far. Sigh.

open beta info email from today

In preparation for the official release of FINAL FANTASY XIV on September 30, 2010 and the early release on September 22, we will be starting an open beta test to help put the finishing touches on the game. We ask that all users who can participate in the open beta test apply from the following website.

1.Access the following URL.
http://entry.ffxiv.com/

• The page will become accessible starting at 2:00 on Sep. 1, 2010.

2.Log in with your Square Enix account and have a registration code issued.

• Depending on the access status, we may temporarily suspend the issuance of registration code. If you cannot have registration code issued, we ask that you please wait a little while before trying again.

3.Register the registration code you received by e-mail on the Square Enix Account Management System.
Click “Select Service” from “Services and Options” on the left menu. Select “FINAL FANTASY XIV” from the services available and then “Add a service account.” Enter the registration code you’ve been issued and proceed to the end of registration.

The Square Enix Account Management System: Please wait ...

• Client Software Used in the Open Beta Test
    The installer for the open beta test’s client software can be downloaded from the following website.
    http://entry.ffxiv.com/

*If you have already downloaded the client software for the closed beta test, there is no need to download the installer.

• Transferring your Character Name from the Open Beta Test to the Commercial Release
    As long as the World you choose in the commercial release is the same as the World you chose in the open beta test, you will be able to transfer your character name. If you choose a different World for the commercial release, your character name will not be transferrable. For details, please refer to the beta test site.

I got that email too but I don’t think I have a registration code?

Hrm… just saw this on the site:

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Postponed

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which is scheduled to begin at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010, will be postponed due to a confirmation of critical bugs. New schedule will be release at a later date.

Along with the postponement of FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, the issuing of registration code for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be postponed as well. With the download of client software’s installer, it will be suspended at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

http://entry.ffxiv.com/na/index.html

You should get it when you log into that site tomorrow, according to the email.

It seems is another game withouth space bar.

But this has not stoped other games being fun:

The plot involves the plight of a Princess “No-Knees,” so named because she is unable to jump.

So who knows? but It sounds to me that console interface will remain, and the dev’s are not looking into westernizing the game much.

Every video i’ve seen of the combat has made it look horrible in comparison to the older final fantasy mmorpg and indeed every other mmorpg that has ever existed, ever.

Not in the beta, but I have it preordered and will play at launch. I thought FF XI was a really well designed game, much better than most MMOs in terms of its unified design conception actually being implemented in a coherent package. It just wasn’t actually fun to play for long because of the punitive approach to parties, combat, and leveling.

Anyone have impressions from the beta? I’m probably just grasping at straws hoping for someone to make a good MMO this year after a bunch of disappointments (Champions, Star Trek, Darkfall etc). 2010 might end up becoming one of the worst new MMO year.

Well… what are we at liberty to say? Is the NDA still in effect? It will all be public knowledge soon, but I’m not sure what can be said today.

Ok, I thought it was open beta?

It will be soon, but it hasn’t started yet.