Final Fantasy XIV General Discussion Thread

Thinking about returning to FFXIV once my 30 days of TESO runs out.
Hopefully I manage to fix up my addons before that time.

A friend from that game has been on the PS4 since closed beta on it and likes it better there than on his PC.

I enjoyed leveling in FFXIV, and the initial primal fights are amusing. Though, hint, if you have problems or think you have any latency (and I mean any) invest in a gaming SSH tunneler and reduce it for the late-game primals. The late-game fights are ridiculously sensitive to latency. Especially if using TWC. Tracert’s showed one problem was lag/throttling at their net peer connections out.

I did not like end game, but that is me I think. It is a mix of two things:

1 - dungeon finder speed runs through established dungeon series by equipment where your build and equipment MUST satisfy meta or 3/4 groups will just quit and requeue the instant they decide the group isn’t meta or fast enough. DPS expects tanks to carry and many are super rude aka LoL style. Tanks are all passive-aggressive if in random queues. Healer behaviors is one or both of those! I did pugs in all roles. My brother was a tank and rage-quit in endgame.

OR

2 - raid style catassing, which gets silly as they make hoops to the catassing and many of the raids are now pug-able, again be prepared with meta or GTFO.

You can pug group the previous catassed raids for a fun combo of 1 & 2. I hate it, as I am a more social player, but if it is your cup of tea it is there and populated. Mechanically I found the end game fights enjoyable.

My alt guild was nice and might have stayed if my brother hadn’t ragequit about when my primary guild’s FFXIV chapter (a usually sane multigame guild) imploded due to bad management at about the same time. I’d already found a nice guild fit to continue and transferred servers to them, but decided to go to another game w/more family playing it after the ragequit. But I would also say, after leveling, that unless you find the social atmosphere of LoL/Dota2 random queue pugs enjoyable to get a guild you enjoy by max level.

Is anyone still playing this? I tried the free 14 day trial on Steam and ended up picking it up in the recent PSN sale. One of the most beautiful game worlds I’ve ever been in with a soundtrack to match. From what I’ve personally seen and then read about how the game works, it seems to do most everything right for what I want from an MMO. I could easily see myself subbing when my 30 days are up, which I’ve never been willing to do before (and part of why my experience with MMOs is fairly limited).

For those of you who are considering picking it back up, there is a free weekend to celebrate patch 2.5 and get people hooked again for the expansion due out this Spring. Details here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/6e3b0e4f864f77d0b10ab6b39369f9043a691c62

Thanks for the info. I miss the game, but my group moved on, sadly… and even worse on to like nothing. No MMOs in the circle at all right now. Yes, it is beautiful and was pretty even the first time around prior to the second release.

Oddly enough, I also just picked this up last week as well. I was in hardcore raiding guilds in various games back in the day but quit the rat race when marriage and family came into the picture. This is hitting all the right buttons with me so far. I’ve been mainly focusing on crafting and getting all jobs up to level 11 here in the first week at my own pace. I’m definitely going to sub when my free month is up.

I quit the game last month- realized it was getting to be more work than fun.

I can’t for the life of me get a code for the trial, tried twice on 2 different email /setups now. Hmmmm.

Sounds like with the new expansion is being beset by server over load, which is causing entitled gamers to launch DDoS attacks against the service.

Super plan, guys.

I don’t know where you’re getting the entitled gamers bit since that’s never been stated and there’s a history of groups DDOSing MMOs and console networks in the past.

I ended up subbing for about a year after my last post, then took a break partway through the first expansion. Came back for Stormblood, and outside of the server issues (namely with instanced duties at the beginning of the story – very few instances were available, causing massive amounts of players to stand around, trying to get in and locked out of progressing to the new content) have really been enjoying my time with the new expansion. There are a lot of callbacks to Final Fantasy 6 with Doma being one of the new areas and a handful of old enemies being given the 3D treatment which is especially great being my favorite in the series.

Super annoying to get booted from an instance only to be dumped into a 1000 person queue.

Hate the script kiddies.

The DDoS attacks are reportedly coming from frustrated gamers that can’t log into the servers.

Do you have a source for that, because the linked article doesn’t mention and it’s honestly the first I’ve heard.

I did some quick digging and can’t find the article I saw on it a little bit before, but the headline indicated it was an anonymous third party that was angry about the rocky launch. I’ll see if I can find it after some more hunting. In the meanwhile, I’m kind of stunned at how many FF14 players are convinced the DDoS attacks are just an excuse used to mask the technical issues that are the real underlying problem. I haven’t played FF14 in a minute, but is that even possible Square would do that?

It’s possible, but I don’t think that they’d do it with this game – especially since over the weekend the game director issued a letter of apology for the instance issues I mentioned above, explained what they did to help alleviate the issues, and warned of the problems that may cause as a trade-off. I think a part of why FF14 does so well is because Yoshida and his team have been very transparent in what they do to build and keep the trust after 1.0 crashed and burned so horribly.

That’s good to hear. I own this through Amazon and I’m constantly tempted to roll up a new character and sub for $15, every once in a while the urge strikes me, so I’m pleased to see the fans are still enjoying it.

Hey, since this thread is bumped…

The free trial was recently expanded to let you play up to level 35 with no time limit. With how the class/job system works, that’s one character, but that character can level every class up to the 35 limit (I wouldn’t recommend this because early game can be a bit of a grind especially with the trial restrictions).

The first “big” fight is at the level 20 story quest and things start to pick up steam from there so it’s nice that they relaxed the restrictions to give people a better taste of the game. With the old trial you were capped at level 20 and 14 days which honestly leaves a bad impression due to how few skills you have and the minimal amount of group content up to that point.

Anyways, here’s the link if anyone wants to give it a shot:

https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/ffxivregister?lng=en-us&notr=0

Worth noting this would only let you try the original classes/jobs, both expansions introduce new jobs that start at 50.

Original: whitemage, scholar, paladin, warrior, bard, dragoon, monk, blackmage, summoner, ninja (added after launch, not part of expansion)

Newer: dark knight, astrologist, machineist, samurai, redmage

If any one plays on behemoth and needs assistance send word.

Part one of Danny O’Dwyer/Noclip’s documentary about the death and rebirth of FFXIV is now live:

I meant to bump this thread last night, but I grabbed this on Steam for $15 and a free 30 day pass (rather than paying $15 to renew my existing Amazon account) and put some time into the game this morning for a bit. It’s a lot of fun, more than the last time I gave it a try (and I enjoyed it last time) so I’m going to see how far I can get with it. I figure if I can get 3 weeks worth of fun for $15 before Final Fantasy XII comes out I’ll be sitting pretty good.

Any idea what I’m missing not having the Heaven-something or latest ($40) expansion installed?

Nothing relevant content-wise that you’re likely to hit in 3 weeks. Heavensward gives you the dragon race for character creation, access to floors 41-200 of the deep dungeon and nothing else until you hit level 50 AND get through all of the content of A Realm Reborn. Stormblood (which now includes the first expansion, Heavensward for free) gives you two new classes – Samurai and Red Mage – as soon as you hit level 50, and nothing else until you get through all of ARR and Heavensward’s story content.