Final Fantasy XIV General Discussion Thread

I got it on the PS4 on sale a couple months ago, but never got around to playing and now I have a new gaming laptop and debating just getting it on there instead.

I hate to admit it but I am having hard time navigating around the map. I complete a quest try to return to get my credit but get lost trying to get to the checkbox on the map. I think it is due to the levels upstairs or downstairs in the city. I spend too much time going in circles.

Navigation is my biggest weakness in the game. I’m getting used to it, but it’s still confusing at time. The more warp points you unlock the better it gets.

I’ve avoided any of the classes that start in Limsa just because I find it very confusing to get around. I’m better now after playing off on on for years. But I still kinda hate that place. Fuck levels that are hard to see on a map.

Thx, @BrianRubin & @lostcawz you made me feel better.

I may actually create a different character and start in a better city. I was trying to create a healer but Limsa is sucking out my lifeforce. And I am not sure how to move my healer to another area easily. I am very low level so not a big deal.

Yeah no worries mate. I love Limsa (I am Malstrom after all) but fuck that map. Geezus Christ.

If you get to the level 15 MSQ it unlocks travel to the other cities.

Heh yeah, then you’ll learn that all of the cities are a weird mess. Still love 'em though.

Yeah. Gridania is the only one easy to get around. The inner area of Uldah is a mess too. Unlocking all of the porters is key

I had Heavensword already, but with the sale went on and grabbed the collectors of Stormbringer (which also has the other expansion Bloodsworn). So I added the code to my account and now they all show as being owned. But when I just logged into the game I wasn’t able to make either of the two expansion races as a character. Is there something that I need to do in game to open them up? And if so…bastards!

You need to be the right level (50 for the HW jobs and I think 60 for the SB) and do a quick unlock quest.

Oh, 50? shit. I’m 46 I think. Noooooooo!

Yeah, Samurai and Red Mage unlock at 50. I think the next ones unlock at 60.

Just to be clear I’m understanding, the classes opening upon certain levels I get. But the two new races also require you have a character at 50 or 60?

Oh, and is Midguardian the server most folk are playing on around here?

EDIT: so I relogged in a second time after upgrading to the newest expansions and the client did an update. After it updated I can now create characters with the new races. Guess it took some time for the servers to get my account upgraded

Sort of.

So, RDM and Samurai you just need to be 50. The other classes generally need you to complete the Before the Dawn quest and unlock Ishgard.

This has the list of the prerequisites.

This is my new racing Chocobo Maelstrom Nebula and I luff her.

Progressing through the AAR has hit the “ok, this is a little nuts” category. Thought I was almost done with the patch quests and then realized I needed to do the Crystal Tower quests to progress.

That’s the trimmed down version you’re going through as well, I think. It is a real slog, but the payoff was worth it. When I played I had to look up the MSQ and see how far along I was to keep my sanity. “Okay, just 60 more quests to go…”. :)

For me, I used it as filler and stopped grinding it. Queue for dungeon as DPS and knock out a quest or three in the 15 minutes the queue would take, that sort of thing. I had to pace myself a bit because trying to race/grind through it was brutal!

I too got on the FFIX train this week to see what all the fuss was about. Also there’s a big sale right now so I ended up picking it up. Anyways most of the story I paid attention to throughout 1-50 and it was… OK. Nothing to write home about but still somewhat entertaining. Then I hit the patch slog and eventually got through all the primal hards, the new dungeons, the raid… trudge trudge trudge… at this point I was just trying to coast across the finish line to get to Heavensward which everyone says is where the fun really kicks in.

So I’m coasting into the last few quests and I see this message that says “When you click this, strap in son you will be here awhile.” And I was like “sure whatever, lets just get 'er done.” And then like the mother of all sleeper quests drops. Like holy wow The story turns the dial to 11 and takes a big 180. So for those still trudging through the 180 lvl 50 quests… Hang in there!

I just hit that point last night - last day of my return free time. That’s quite a set of cutscenes.