Final Fantasy XV - 10 years in the making

[quote=“Scott_Lufkin, post:219, topic:78390, full:true”]
Overall, a good game. Not a fantastic game, and certainly not a fantastic Final Fantasy experience, but not bad. [/quote]

And after FF XIII, that’s perfectly fine!

Picking this up next time there’s a price break. Final Fantasy is one series I always picked up on release day but FF XIII really made me stop caring about the franchise. Looks like they are making up for that one.

I really wish they would just use FF XII as a template for the next game (and not take 10 years to release it) or something along the lines of FF IX.

Question for those of you who have finished the game: I put this down when I heard there was going to be a big patch to “fix” Chapter 13 and the story but I’ve yet to see any firm star that patch might occur. Do you think Ch 13 is fixable? Should I keep waiting or just press ahead?

I would fix chapter 13 by cutting one of it’s sub chapters entirely out of the game or at least making it a much, much shorter sequence. And from that point of view, one could just play through it with gritted teeth and be done. Alternatively, if you don’t plan on playing around with the end game content, you could just watch a video of chapter 13 and 14 and see how it all turns out (I did like the ending itself, actually, and I basically enjoyed the game immensely until chapter 10 or so).

Ran into a really “awesome” bug today where I was riding in the car on auto and we drove by one of those photo spots that Promto loves so much, so I thought “what the heck I never stop for his photos, I’ll indulge him this once.” Well by the time I told him to go for it we were past the spot so Ignis has to turn around except he can’t fucking do it because the road is too narrow. So does he back up for a Y turn? Of course not he just keeps running into the guardrail and resetting, constantly repeating how we need to turn around. Of course since we’re stuck in some sort of endless animation loop I can’t take control to exit the car or cancel the request or whatever. Just stuck watching Ignis smash into a guardrail forever. So I had to reload a previous save, which only cost me about 15 mins of gameplay but still, driving this car is the worst. Sorry Prompto no more photo stops for you.

I didn’t get any killer bugs like that, but I did have a span where Ignis turned 90% transparent and stayed that way until the next chapter.

PC version coming out Early 2018.

Awesome! I guess this means I’m not firing up the PS4 version again any time soon.

Now you won’t need a console to experience how mediocre and uninspired this game is!

If they’re smart, the 4K textures will be in an optional DLC pack.

Yeah, I hope 170 GB is the “4K experience” requirement, and the base install will be something in the line of 50-60 GB at most. I think Fallout 4 is a bit like that, right? Around 30GB for the base install, and another 60GB or so if you want high-res textures?

More likely 170GB is for the 8K option.

Just for the headline:

We’ll take it from here, guys!

Also sounds like the 170 GB thing isn’t true. No link sorry.

Hey fellow chapter 13 haters! I understand there’s a multiplayer DLC recently launched, has anyone braved the wilds and walked away with any impressions?

I think FF XIII-2 is the best FF, so I guess I’m not in that group… ;)

Context was chap 13 within ffxv: I don’t have a specific problem with ff13 :)
Although I haven’t played xiii-2, so maybe I should pick that up instead of some silly multiplayer DLC!

Curious. I just got the digital Xbox version of the game on sale on Games with Gold (never too late to experience a game posters have described from ok to infuriating :) ) and screenshots I take are labelled “Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition” on my Xbox Community tab.

Is the game cross play and buy once own on both then?

I’ve only played til shortly past the end of chapter 1. Ended it at level 12 and have started upgrading my weapons. Beyond that, I find it really hard to figure out which AP trees to prioritise. The game doesn’t really offer any suggestions.

But it’s pretty and amusing so far. We’ll see how it goes once the random attacks start raining down on me.

No, I don’t think so. At least, the Windows version on the MS Store is not labelled as such so I see no reason it would work the other way around. :)

Weird. Guess they relabelled the Xbox version for some reason.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Semi plot twist. On the PC XBox App, the game appears simply as “Final Fantasy XV”, no “Windows Edition”. Guess MS can’t make up its mind about exactly what I’m playing. :)

GMG has it for $40. Worth buying or wait to see how the port turns out? Or the gameplay is so bleh that even a good port isn’t worth the $40?

There’s a demo out next week that includes the first chapter of the game. There’s also a benchmark tool available so you can see how it will run right now: http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/en/

It looks like a pretty great port, as in there are lots of PC-specific features - if you run Nvidia. Some of them may not work so well on AMD. The only unknowns I think are how graphics options (in-game or launcher?) and mouse/keyboard support will be handled.

Personally I dig the game and am looking forward to playing it on the PC. Some here seem to loathe it.