Final Fantasy XV - 10 years in the making

This was my feeling on the previous demo. Haven’t played the new one yet.

Clueless Gamer with Conan and Elijah Wood.

Obviously, the shtick with these is that Conan is not a gamer, doesn’t understand gaming conventions, and is hopeless with a controller, etc. That said, it’s funded marketing, so they’re usually pretty positive overall. They try to show Conan and the person playing the game having a good time despite the silliness of VIDEOGAMEZ.

Here… Not so much. I think Conan genuinely didn’t like what he was seeing. I have to imagine that bits of Final Fantasy taken out of context would be completely incomprehensible to non-gamers.

They’d have to be. The bits out of the FFXV demo I tried were incomprehensible to me!

I’m not even sure Final Fantasy is even comprehensible to gamers anymore.

Ehhh, I guess I’ll step back and let the fans eat it up.

I have to ask: why is there a car?

I personally hate all of the “ATB” type battle systems. Trying to interject some “excitement” into FF combat is precisely what I don’t want. I loved tactics and X as far as combat goes. After my experience with a couple of the more frantic FFs, if this is that kind of combat, I won’t even purchase it at any kind of a discount, I just know I don’t like this kind of combat in a FF game.

I’m sure the combat system is very polarizing among users, as they’ve varied so wildly on it. I appreciate they try to do something new, but sometimes, giving people more of the same only better is a good idea. To me, they have really fractured the franchise, by dragging people all over the map with wildly differing mechanics. You are inherently going to split your player base by doing that.

That was a funny video.

It’s incomprehensible to non-gamers or non-Japanese RPGers, but judging from the video it looks like they are going high on the silly meter with this one. I love me some JRPGs but sometimes they tend to grate.

I agree, that video was funny. I love the bit about the group of guys remarking about the dress they read about in the news.

I also agree with Ultrazen on ATB battle systems. I also include RTwP systems in those. The turn-based FF systems are the ones I enjoyed. Since this won’t be one of them, I’ll probably stay away. If I feel the draw of a big sprawling JRPG, I’ll go back and finish Lost Odyssey or start Blue Dragon.

Good news everyone! You can eat like Noctis if you go to Jamie Oliver’s restaurant Fifteen.

I’m just going to make a prediction that that Conan clip is far more entertaining than anything in that game.

This entire article hurts me in my feels.

Damn it, pages and pages of different pre-order bonuses, FFXV tries its hardest to be the most obnoxious possible.

At least they didn’t give the dishes stupid names.

Clueless gamer video was awesome! Pretty sure Conan got FF pegged. :)

Despite having little interest in this game I thought this was pretty cool:

It definitely helps cultivate the bromance aesthetic.

All those various pre-order bonuses…

And Microsoft Wins with the best version yet again…

• “Pre-order exclusive: $10 Microsoft Store Gift Code”

True, but I’m still so confused at what the combat in the game is actually like. And this is despite having played the demo, where I couldn’t really understand the combat either. You just attack stuff, and eventually it dies? It’s so strange. It doesn’t have the satisfaction of action game system like Kingdom Hearts or Diablo, and it doesn’t have the tactical satisfaction of a turn-based system like in Final Fantasy X.

Who knows, maybe this is one Final Fantasy game that will follow the early Resident Evil model: It’s best when you watch someone else playing it.

Maybe we can band together and have Tom play through it on Request Wednesdays over the course of the next few months! :P

Am I the only one really, really looking forward to this in this forum?

I love how it looks and what I’ve seen of the gameplay so far (although I’m worried it might be a little bit too grindy like Xenoblade Chronicles).

@Rock8man nails it.

Lacking either a XBONE or a PS4, with no plans to buy either, I’m very much looking forward to playing the Ultimatus Supremacy Edition on Steam in about 8 years! (I love Final Fantasy, but not enough to let another console languish under my TV just to play this one series).