Finally they'll stop whipping a dead llama

I’m pretty sure that Steve Jobs changed his mind when it became the most important product Apple released in the last decade. Seriously, the iPod — let alone the iPhone, nor the iPad — would never have gained traction without iTunes for Windows.

The irony to me is that Apple still talks about itself as a software company. iTunes – the software interface for its flagship iPhone devices, as well as iPods – is a steaming turdpile. How the hell did that happen?

I still use it, from sheer inertia (well that and VLC does weird things on my work machine.)

It never actually got very bloated if you stuck to the freebie version. Certainly nothing like the abomination that is iTunes.

Arise, thread! Arise, .exe!

I’m not familiar with Neowin.net, but according to Wikipedia, it’s been around for a while. They just published a report that claims that WinAmp is still being worked on, as a beta version of an update was found in the gloomy corners of the internet:

Though I am surprised that this news is based on a leaked beta build that dates back to the Obama administration, and should perhaps be taken with more grains of salt than I took.

Looks like they decided to release it, what with the leak and all.

Llama available here: https://www.winamp.com/

I never used it much. (I used MiniDisc for playing music at the time, not my PC.) But I remember that playlist creation made more sense than on other Windows software. Overall it was more ergonomic than RealPlayer or Microsoft’s media player. It’s still probably better than media player classic or VLC, if you ignore its lack of codec support.

2.95 for life baby.
Actually I don’t even have an mp3 player installed on my computer, with the exception of whatever Microsoft bundles. How life has changed.

I returned to using Winamp a few years back. Just never found a music player that was any better.

I love WinAmp so much - the visualizers are awesome

Been fiddling with the new version… it makes some changes to the default layout and visuals, and I can’t really tell what is new or not, but I’m pretty happy with the experience I’ve ended up with after fiddling around a bit:

Visualizers are an install option - I don’t use them, myself. And video can be disabled entirely, now. There’s also the WinAmp Agent which might speed load times. Not sure. I’ve just used it as an easy way to launch the app from the tray. Foobar is really quick, though, although I only really use it for batch converting FLAC to MP3 nowadays.

I use to rely just on file organization, too, but eventually used software to let me bulk rename files so all my MP3s were consistently named, then I used another program to fill out all the MP3 metadata based on the file name.

That seems like a lot of work, looking back. I even wrote an application to run through my music directory and download the album art off of Last.fm. Sheesh. And then I decided to rip all my music as FLAC some years later. What a hobby.