Finding a better cell provider

Mint is using Tmobile networks right?

Yes, AFAIK

Looking at MINT, the final cost with taxes and fees for 1 year is $202.88 (must be paid upfront), that’s unlimited calling and texts and 4GB of data a month, which comes out to $16.90 a month. How the hell is that possible?

I am only using 1.5 ish GB of data now ($10 per GB) and paying almost $40 with Google Fi.

I switched from Mint to Tello because of a deal I found on Slickdeals for a year of 1GB/mo plan for less than 70 bucks.

I see you can get a similar deal right now for 6 months.

Tello Value Prepaid 6-Month Plan: Unlimited Talk/Text + 2GB LTE Data $37.24 (slickdeals.net)

do you notice a slower connection when you are oot and aboot?

The connection seems fine (although the signal where I live right now has always been atrociously bad for T-Mobile as well as Verizon - WiFi Calling is a must have). I have read stories on Reddit of people having issues in highly populated areas because of network deprioritization for resellers, although this would apply equally to Mint as it would for Tello.

I use Red Pocket and have been really happy. Currently on a $10/mo plan since I don’t use very much data. They’ll let you choose between T-Mobile, ATT, and Verizon networks. They occasionally have 6 month or 12 month prepaid deals, too, if you keep an eye on deal sites.

First time I’ve ever heard of that brand, also learned of Tello today.

Switching to Mint for 3 months starting in mid November, I’ll report back on how it goes.

Just looking at the numbers, I’ll be saving at least $15 a month vs Google Fi, and going from 1GB of data to 4GB.

How did this original story end Chris? Did you end up going with Verizon or AT&T?

No. I went with t-mobile and just use wifi calling in my house.

The switch from Fi to Mint took about 30 minutes. So far so good!

I may have to look into Mint, even though it’s not as good a deal as what I have now. I’m currently using Total Wireless and service was fine up to about 3 weeks ago. Data became very spotty, service tried to help but didn’t really resolve it.

Has anyone switched to Mint with the S21? I put my IMEI in on their site and it said the format was invalid which is… not promising.

I also have a S21 but Mint seemed ok with my IMEI number even though I didn’t see the S21 listed in their model number pull-down

Mint Mobile is doing a 3-months free when you buy the 3-months for $45 Black Friday dealio. I’m thinking about switching away from Fi. Everyone still satisfied with Mint?

Wow, that will likely get me to bite. I haven’t paid $7.50/month for mobile since the early days of Virgin PAYG.

AFAICT, complaints have mainly been about coverage, which is pretty typical for an MVNO.

I just went ahead and went for it. I barely ever use more than 2 1/2 GB per month on Fi, and it costs me somewhere between $40-50 a month. The Mint deal is a whole lot better, even if the coverage is a little worse.

I’m not satisfied they offered this deal a week after I switched.

:P

If anyone wants, here is my Mint refer a friend link.

http://fbuy.me/s0XKI

I think it gives you $15, and me $15 if you join from Verizon or AT&T. And that’s in addition to the Black Friday deal you pick.