Firaxis decision to leave "large games" broken for a full month

I didn’t realize I had to research the OPs history to be able to evaluate the content of this post. I thought, in fact, that on this board I was explicitly not supposed to do that.

I’m not going to try to step between the sharks and their prey anymore, but “they have lots of other stuff to fix too so stop complaining” is one of the sorriest arguments I have ever heard on the internet.

No, but “your minor issue is on the next patch fixlist so STFU already” works pretty well.

Have a heart, your strawman is going through hell out there!

That’s not what the argument is (though jpinard is certainly a polarizing figure on this board, but let’s set that aside for the moment). If you read LK’s post, it’s “stop being a whiny fanboy crying that Firaxis hates you because they won’t fix your particular issue RIGHT NOW.” Ascribing malice to Firaxis is the least productive thing you can do in these types of discussions because it derails the whole damn thing. Discussing things in a more reasonable tone doesn’t get the same response – “Man, I’m disappointed that Firaxis isn’t prioritizing the big-game memory leak that kills the way I prefer to play the game. I wish they’d focus on smaller patches for critical game-breakers like this rather than one big release that leaves me in the lurch for a month” would have gotten a vastly different response, whether it’s Jeff or anyone else posting it.

I’m not going to quote what I’m responding to, I’m just going to vaguely lecture people from on high in the hope that I accidentally target a straw man that distantly resembles someone’s argument. I’m doing this because it’s the next step in the bitching at people bitching about fanboy bitching that I clearly enjoy more than life itself. You all understand, I’m sure, why I created an internet persona and chose to engage it in this topic in this manner as its debut performance. Now I rake my nails across the bleeding abscesses of my soul in order to provide you with the flavor of my decay, that you can know my pain and share in it. It’s a force multiplier for my insignificance.

Civ5 must be a hell of a game. Jumping on jp (and, apparently, random bystanders) for being overly earnest is like yelling at water for being wet.

“Wait a minute, it’s liquid. WTF?”

Yeah, where would this be without feigned disinterest and a shitty analogy? Nowhere, that’s where.

I hope you don’t mind, but I am going to try to use these lines at least twice in my conversations today.

Yeah, it sucks. I’m playing other games such as World of Tanks and Call of Duty until they fix it.

Given that this isn’t a Civ 5 specific forum, it’s best to add the game in question to the subject of posts made regarding it. It’d be like me saying “these French Fries I bought at Walmart are gross”, and people having to make an educated guess that I’m talking about McDonald’s because they are commonly found as restaurants inside Walmarts across the land (though around here they seem be getting replaced with Tim Horton’s franchises, but they don’t sell french fries). Maybe in the US there are Burger Kings, Wendy’s and A&W franchises in Walmarts, and no one would know what the hell I’m talking about.

Think about it.

What are Walmarts? Are they some kind of walnut candy?

Hong, Austrian

Feigned? Oh, you’ve found me out. Obviously everyone cares as deeply about this issue as you do.

Carry on, then. I’m sure this is all deeply satisfying.

Guys, why does this thread need to be so mean?

Because of the phenomenon described at 6:50 in this video.

We are all rational, self-maximizing actors?

Maybe you should watch it again.

So this is the Elemental thread in 1% of the pages?

I was wrong and need to totally change my attitude towards things like this. I see that and apologize for being an entitlist.

Once again, I’m really sorry for acting like this… especially to Lizard King. This is the first time in forever I’ve seen your ire raised and I feel awful it’s due to me.

I did want to address the comments about PC games in the last decade. I was not being disingenuous, as this is the only title in the stable of games I play that’s done this. The Fallout hat bug is easily fixed on the PC, I don’t play Empire Total War, or SINs, Sims 3 Ambitions that had a CTD problem I was able to fix by editing the executable. Honestly this is the only game I haven’t been able to hack or mod to play one of the normal game modes to completion.

I mostly just meant take my initial shot and move on, as I do agree that Civ 5 has problems. That probably would have been a proportional response to what I believe to be incendiary phrasing in your OP, had I left it at that.

I apologize for allowing other people to rile me up and still including you in the responses, as that was unnecessary.

This isn’t developer/publisher issue. Firaxis is owned by Take 2.

That was actually pretty cool. Thanks, Matt.

The angst and worry over Firaxis’ perceived slow speed in patching Civ V vis a vis any specific problem seems odd.

Prior incarnations of the series have involved expansions, and more than one of them. Perhaps I am being naive or overly rational, but I see no reason why, Facebook or no, the business folks at Firaxis and/or Take Two would not plan their product cycle for Civ V to hew closely to the successful model they’ve already employed. We’ll likely see a few expansions on top of a steady drip of DLC. They have no reason to sacrifice the Golden Goose by rushing patches absent a crisis that would alienate too many original purchasers sufficient to jeopardize sales of expansions and/or DLC.

They have a plan, and I bet they stick to it so long as the money hats roll in.