Fire Emblem Three Houses - Nintendo Switch GOTY Contender?

The extra for preordering is that something that everyone feels is a must have? I plan to buy digital so not worried about getting a cart to arrive from Amazon etc (which I could see as one reason to preorder)

edit:
my spellcheck said something nonsensical

There aren’t any pre-order bonuses, outside of some sort of physical Pin or something from Gamestop stores.

Game really wasn’t on my radar until I read Scott’s epic post, and heard the hype from the most recent waypoint podcast. Interest piqued!

Game was fully leaked it appears and the dataminers have dug in - spoilers all over the joint now.

That’s an overly dramatic way of saying the physical game has been shipped to stores.

Basically - last weekend someone (or a few someone’s) got a copy from Target or Wal-mart or some such. There is a spoiler thread over on Era for those that are interested in getting the jump on story details and information on how the game unfolds, which of course isn’t something most gamers would want, I’d think, but there you go.

I did read a few comments from folks that were brave enough to look into the thread though, that I found quite fascinating!

The review embargo lifts on Thursday at 7am PDT/9am CDT, according to MetaCritic.

Is the implication here that Three Houses has a story so compelling it makes reviewers rethink their score? That would certainly be a first for the series. I’m not sure what else could be included in a leak unless there’s some unannounced mechanic, which would be a weird thing for the developers to hide.

Either way, I’ve already preloaded it. I’m still a bit skeptical, but am hoping for the best.

Eh, wha? I’m not sure what you are reacting to here, tbh? It’s just that the game leaked early from some retailers (at least one) so spoilers are out in the wild, and there is datamining happening. Era has a dedicated spoiler thread, for those that don’t mind seeing some stuff.

You said:

And then in the image you posted were comments implying that the leaks make the game a critical hit that should get a 90+, one saying they were changing their metacritic score. I don’t know how else one is supposed to interpret that when combined with the comment you made about story details leaking.

You can get it a bit cheaper here:

I wonder if I’m in the mood for a Fire Emblem. I played Awakening, but then bounced off of Birthright/Conquest during some of the longer missions. I usually stall out around when you start upgrading classes and I get decision paralysis.

I’m playing Into The Breach right now, which might be my tactical strategy needs for a bit.

Oh, that’s totally my bad, I see the confusion - those guys were talking about changing the vote they made where they guessed at the MetaCritic score - it sounded like a lot of folks that had spent some time in the spoiler thread were convinced they had “voted” (or guessed) it to low. Sorry!

This will be my first fire emblem game…pretty psyched! Need a good game for my commute, and I’m a big fan of tactics games and persona-like games.

No worries. I didn’t read the linked thread and assumed they were critics who already wrote and submitted their review.

I’m very psyched. I’ve never heard of fire emblem before this thread but now I can’t wait for Friday. A few months ago I picked up Xcom 2 and ever since I’ve been playing it like it’s heroin mixed with crack dipped in chocolate. I’ve been playing banner saga since Friday and I’ve totally got the tbs bug.

Austin Walker throwing all his chips (cards?) on the table:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j5ww4g/fire-emblem-three-houses-review

’Fire Emblem: Three Houses’ Is the Reinvention the Series Needed

By making combat more transparent and giving you more time with the world’s characters, Nintendo has revitalized its tactical RPG franchise once again.

Yeah, just came to say the review embargo is up and the reviews are glowing. There are a few dud reviews, but those seem to be click bait sites (like Daily Star, which sounds like a rag to me) that are just looking to bring in traffic.

The vast majority of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, 9.5’s all over the place. Here is the only review I’ve read so far and it was a really encouraging look at the game that got me extra excited to dive in and play a bit tonight when it unlocks.

The very positive Kotaku review mentioned the reviewer spent 58 hours to beat the game for those curious. That’s about 20 longer than the typical FE game, but still less than the 80 hours some suggested. 58 is about my upper limit for a game these days, so I’m a bit relieved it’s not so huge.

A warning to everyone - that Kotaku review contains a major spoiler in the second paragraph, according to the (very upset) folks both in the ResetEra thread about this game’s reviews, as well as the Twitter post Kotaku put out to promote the review. I haven’t seen it myself, but it sounds like it’s a major end-game spoiler.

9’s and 9.5’s…dang.