Fire Warrior

So, the game is out. Has anyone played it yet? Impressions? While normally a sucker for anything Warhammer-related the Tau generally bore me to death, and the fact that the game is a ported console shooter just sends shrill warning signals down my spine to avoid it like the plague.

Linky

I saw one web review (found it through Gamerankings, there might be more now) that said it was a fairly bland shooter with Warhammer trappings, but that’s all I’ve heard.

I’ve played the PS2 a bit at the Games Convention. Now I’m not a Warhammer fan, thus wouldn’t be able to appreciate any specific details and references put in the game. As far as I’ve experienced it it looked and played like a standard FPS. Not bad, but also not outstanding in any other way.

I haven’t played 40K in a while, but the Tau are interesting in that they’re the first new 40K race in a long time that aren’t complete wall to wall assholes who want to kill everybody. I don’t think any of the groups in the 40K universe qualify as “good” but the Tau are about as close as it gets.

Another interesting thing is the Tau culturally assimilate other species into their empire. One of the Tau books has specs on assimilated humans who now fight with Tau equipment and tactics. That’s something you don’t see very often in that setting.

I have no idea if any of this is represented in Fire Warrior, of course.

I haven’t played 40K in a while, but the Tau are interesting in that they’re the first new 40K race in a long time that aren’t complete wall to wall assholes who want to kill everybody. I don’t think any of the groups in the 40K universe qualify as “good” but the Tau are about as close as it gets.

Another interesting thing is the Tau culturally assimilate other species into their empire. One of the Tau books has specs on assimilated humans who now fight with Tau equipment and tactics. That’s something you don’t see very often in that setting.

I have no idea if any of this is represented in Fire Warrior, of course.[/quote]

<WARNING> Extreme geekiness follows <WARNING>

I don’t like them for the very reason you mention. Good guys have no place in Warhammer :P Warhammer is 90% looks and story to me (since I haven’t played the actual game in years). The Tau feel like a cheap Anime-mecha cash-in attempt on GW’s behalf with no real reason for being, and model designs that really rub me the wrong way. The background part of the Tau can still be tweaked into something a bit more interesting, they’re not free of internal strife and their relationship with vassal races is interesting, but their appearance needs a complete re-design. The Tyranids went from looking like something out of a cartoon to looking far more nasty and galaxy-threatening when they were redesigned two years ago, I hope the Tau get the same treatment eventually. Until then, however, I consider the Tau to be a part of Warhammer best ignored.

I hear what you’re saying. That’s the crux of it, really: is there any place in the 40K universe for a group of almost reasonable people? Well, they do have big guns, so that should help.

Like you I pretty much follow 40K developments as an observer and not a player. It’s not so much that I like the Tau as I’m pleasantly surprised that GW broke away from their usual trend with new races. There are only so many times they can bring out a new group of guys that are portrayed as even more dark and kewl than the last one. This trend ran aground IMO with the Necrons.

Also true about the anime-style packaging. The first time I saw the Tau in a store I didn’t recognize the big vehicle boxes as being 40K products until I noticed the GW logo. The artwork has a kind of light, airy look to it that doesn’t fit in at first glance with the piles of skulls depicted on their other products.

What’s more, the gibberish Tau-font that GW made up and which figures prominently on the game packaging looked at first glance like the Japanese characters that appear on imported model boxes.

Getting back to Fire Warrior, It’s interesting that GW would base one of their electronic games around a new race; they’re taking a risk if prospective customers either hate the Tau or haven’t gotten familiar with them yet; it would be like if they were making Slaan games ten years ago.

Or even Slaan games right now…

It’s likely that for the vast majority of customers of this game will be getting their first real exposure to the 40K universe. (Or their 2nd if they’re old enough to have played Space Hulk).

Hardcore players aren’t going to boycott this game because of the aliens in it. They’re going to buy it because it’s a major release in the 40K universe.

Your Power Pill

The original 40K atmosphere was lost a good while back; the current design team seems is not very good at story, and not very good at making good rules. The Tau don’t really fit in, that’s true, but I personally like the models. At least they don’t completely rely on assaults and/or super-characters like every other bloody army, excepting the Guard.

There are some possible reasons: A Fire Warrior is an excellent protagonist for a FPS. Best basic gun in the game, decent survivability, basically a good guy. Space Marines are kind of boring, and not very nice, and having a Guardsman as the protagonist in a single-hero shoot-everything FPS would just be wrong.

From what I’ve seen of 2nd edition it was a cartoony “Eldar & Space Marines save the day” type of thing, so the current atmosphere is far darker.Of course, if you’re talking Rogue Trader I really wouldn’t know.

I’ll happily admit though that the Tau fill a much needed shooty-army vacuum besides the Imperial guard. Speaking of Imperial Guard, I know it’s fucking insane but I want me a Guard army now with the new codex.

There are some possible reasons: A Fire Warrior is an excellent protagonist for a FPS. Best basic gun in the game, decent survivability, basically a good guy. Space Marines are kind of boring, and not very nice, and having a Guardsman as the protagonist in a single-hero shoot-everything FPS would just be wrong.[/quote]

More likely reason, the feel-good Tau was seen as a good introduction into the dark world of Wahammer for the kiddies out there.

Sometime during 2nd ed, they went the nice and cuddly way, basically making the Imperium good guys, not mentioning things like Exterminatus, the Emperor’s eating habits etc. They’ve gone back towards the “grim and dark” style lately. Now, if they could just write some decent rules…

The focus on assault in 3rd ed. annoys me no end. Everyone’s got high-powered guns of death, but close combat is almost always the best alternative.

It’s fucking insane, alright, but with the new plastics it’s a surprisingly affordable (in Guard terms) and well made fucking insane. Deployment’s still a bitch, however.

It does reinforce the heroic aspects of the game, so I don’t find it all bad, but when 90% of the armies relies on close assault to win there’s something wrong with the system.

It’s fucking insane, alright, but with the new plastics it’s a surprisingly affordable (in Guard terms) and well made fucking insane. Deployment’s still a bitch, however.[/quote]

For those unaware of what “affordable” means here, a standard Imperial Guard army would cost from $250 and upwards for miniature soldiers and tanks. Unpainted. :roll:

Kneel before the power of the Workshop!

They’ve been raking in the dough for years…

Your Power Pill

Apparently Hasbro (aka Hasborg) has been watching and learning at GW’s knee. The latest 3.5 Ed. D&D rules move the game’s combat more towards miniatures, and voila! now there is a line of D&D miniatures being vended…

They did release a D&D miniatures game a couple of years ago along with miniatures, I think the game was called “Chainmail”. Never played it, and apparently no one else did either, cause it failed miserably. Maybe the 3.5 rules was an attempt to move unsold chainmail models. :)

I just realised that I’ve hijacked my own thread. :D

I tried the demo of this game (from playstation mag) and I wasn’t impressed. It didn’t feel like Warhammer at all to me, actually. Now maybe I was playing an early level, but neither the weapons nor the surroundings really seemed uniquely Warhammer like. I think it would have been better to have you playing as an eldar or chaos lord or something. THAT would be fun.

To continue the hijacking :) the new D&D miniatures are different from the Chainmail ones (these are plastic and painted, and come in randomized assortments a la Mage Knight). Dunno even if they’re any good, but it’s pretty clearly an attempt to force RPG fans to shell out even more money. Which I suppose is their raison d’etre after all.

Yup. It’s pretty clearly WizKidz they’re going after.

The Games Workshop model for success is very retail intensive, and Hasbro is slowly shuttering their retail outlets.

Your Power Pill

Do they manage to get the stat-tracking stuff on the figurines like Wizkids does? That was a brilliant stroke on the part of Wizkids, and I think they patented it.

I reviewed it. It’s painfully mediocre. The developers manage to turn a spaceship into a fucking lava level.