Firefly - Favorite quotes

I just finished watching Firefly on DVD. I hadn’t heard about the show until a friend gave me the DVDs; it is one of my favorite shows of all time now. One reason is the excellent scripts. I was trying to think of my favorite lines, and couldn’t think of all of them, so if any of you are interested, we can recap some of them in this thread.

Tough guy: (snarling) …The last thing you see will be my blaaaade.

Mal: Darn. (Kicks guy into engine. New guy is brought to him.) This money belongs to…

New guy: Oh, I got it. Best thing for everyone. I’m right there with you.

(After torture.)

Niska: You died, Mr Reynolds.

Mal: It seemed like the thing to do.

What I want to read most is quotes by Jubal Early. Man, that character was great. I hope (a) the show resurfaces and (b) someone picked Early up as he floated through space.

Curiously, the Firefly Jubal Early, who is black, is named after a unrepentant Civil War general who was famous for staging an abortive raid on Washington DC in 1864 (I think). The Civil War Early did vote against secession, but fled to Mexico and, later, Canada after the war. He only returned to the US after being pardoned in 1868.

Mal: This job I would pull for free.
Zoë: Can I have your share?
Mal: No
Zoë: If you die, can I have your share?
Mal: Yes.

Sounds like I didn’t miss much.

Is that a quote from the show, or an observation?

Inara: It sounds like the sort of thing this crew can handle. I can’t guarantee they’ll handle it particularly well, but-
Nandi: If they got guns, and brains at all…
Inara: They have guns.

Wash: Little River just gets more colorful by the moment. What’ll she do next?
Zoe: Either blow us all up or rub soup in our hair. It’s a toss-up.
Wash: I hope she does the soup thing. It’s always a hoot, and we don’t all die from it.

Mal: And Kaylee, what the hell’s goin’ on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?

My favorite:

Jayne: Do you know what the chain of command is here? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who’s in command.

You are wrong, Gary.

Dammit, stop talking about Firefly.

It just reminds me how very, very much I hate Fox.

Yep, the world needs more ‘reality’ shows with people indulging in self-mutilation (e.g. The Swan) and less shows with great writing and acting. Yep, indeedy.

If it wasn’t for HBO and the NFL, I think I’d give up completely on television altogether.

River: (to Jayne) I can kill you with my brain.

Zoe: “River, honey? He’s putting the hair away now.”
River: “Doesn’t matter, it’ll still be there… waiting!”

Wash’s Stegosaurus: “We will rule over this land. And we will call it… This Land.”
Wash’s T-Rex: “I think we should call it your grave!!!”
Wash’s Stego: "Aaaah! Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal!”
Wash’s T-Rex: (evil laugh) “Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!”
(plastic dinosaurs have a go at it)
Wash’s Stego: “Oh no! God! Oh, dear God in heaven!”

That rocks harder than ten things that rock really hard.

I’m still giving Fox a chance. Please, please renew Arrested Development for another season.

Sounds like I have to check this show out. I missed it entirely, but it sounds cool. Is the entire series on DVD these days?

Brian:

Yes, and you’ll be buying yourself about 10 hours of some of the best television to ever get cancelled by Fox. And that’s saying a lot, because they’ve cancelled some fine shows.

Run out and buy it now, and watch it soonest. Then come back and thank everyone here.

I’ll check it out. Now if only they’d release “Space: Above and Beyond” on DVD. Damned Fox…

Firefly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Space: Above and Beyond

Mal: Remember, you only have to scare him.
Jayne (Earnestly): Pain is scary!

Jayne: No, I’m not gonna kill you, Walter! I’m just gonna cut on you until you tell me what they know.

Mal: Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certianly coming to a middle.

Zoe: It’s not like she’s hurt anyone…
Jayne: Butcher’s Knife!
Zoe: Not anyone we can’t spare…

Really? God Dayum I gotta check it out then…

I dunno… I’m worried about that one. They have started to show them in the wrong order, and at unpredictable intervals. That’s what they do when they are gearing up to give a great show the axe (it happened to Firefly!).