Firefly - Favorite quotes

(Being interviewed about his wife Zoe.)

Wash: The legs. Oh yeah, definitely have to say it was her legs. You can put that down. Her legs, and where her legs meet her back. Actually, that whole area. That, and above it.

Excellent quotes… thanks for the re-laughs! Just saw this episode tonight:

Kaylee: Tell me I’m pretty.

Wash: Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly way.

Kaylee: Because I’m pretty?

Wash: Because you’re pretty.

The place where the Lord split her, if you know what I mean.

Movie news update from AICN:

Morena Baccarin said that the Firefly movie would start filming in June and that you would get more back story on Inara and Book. She also said that as far as she knows everyone is back for the movie.

— Alan

Who is Book?

The religious guy with a possible paramilitary/covert-ops past, played by Ron Glass

Thanks! I dimly recall his name being used now. That reminds me of another quote… not so much funny as intriguing.

Jubal Early: That ain’t no shepherd.

Yeah, they called him “Shepherd” a lot more often than they called him Reverend Book.

I actually don’t think he was former military/spec. ops. I suspect he was a high ranking law enforcement official. In one of the episodes that was never shown on TV, but was on the DVD box set, he demonstrates a clear knowledge of how the police pursuing them were violating standard operating procedure – which revealed them to be rogue cops.

There are a few more hints dropped that I can’t recall off the top of my head (time for a rewatch!), but I’m comfortable with my supposition.

/Eph

Somehow, Jubal Early saying “That ain’t a shepherd” off the cuff like he did, with a sort of scoffing tone, then immediately dropping the subject, was even more persuading than the fact that Book knows about the Alliance procedures. It’s one of my favorite lines in the show, especially because of how it was delivered. But you’re right, that show you mention was another huge clue.

My favorite theory (which a friend of mine came up with) is that he’s actually a retired general from the war. Remember that time that the Alliance sees his ID card, and immediately gives him VIP medical treatment.

Yeah, I used to consider the ‘retired general’ theory as pretty likely until I saw the episode where he knew all about police procedure. It was pretty specific knowledge, and one that a general would not typically know.

Which led me to my revised “high ranking police official” theory.

/Eph

How the hell am I supposed to come up with reasonable speculation regarding Book’s history when they included more information on DVD-only episodes?

If this doesn’t provide enough evidence to convince my wife to justify the purchase of the DVD, I don’t know what will…

One of the best lines comes from a deleted scene that’s on the DVD:

“There’s over seventy Earths spinning about the galaxy, and the meek have inhereted not-a-one.”

So there’s another reason for ya. Also the idea that you can lend it to friends and get them hooked as well.

Just posting to throw my vote in with all the others. Firefly was definitely the best to happen to TV in a looong time. Damned shame it was cancelled.

Edit: Forgot to add one of my favorite quotes from the series.

Zoe: “I can’t help but think something’s not right”
Wash: “Honey, we’re crooks. If everything were right, we’d be in jail”

I believe that was from the original pilot episode, Serenity… though it wasn’t the first episode shown on TV.

Man, damn you all. I guess its time for another Firefly marathon :D

Wash: We gotta go to a crappy town where I’m a hero!

Mal: Mercy is the mark of a great man. (pokes Atherton with his sword). I guess I’m just a good man. (pokes him again). Well, I’m alright.
Inara: You didn’t have to wound him
Mal: I know, but it was funny.

My copy of the Firefly DVD (& Korsun Pocket, incidentally) is on its way from Amazon as I type.

My wife actually ordered it for me as a present for my thesis progress, although I’m certain your justifications played a role.

If I can help repay any of you by thinking up excuses to justify geek purchases to your spouse or partner, please let me know.

Here’s one.

Wash: Psychic? That sounds like something from science fiction!
Zoe: Dear, we live on a space ship.
Wash:So?

I just finished watching the DVD set. What a great show.

[size=2]Edited to fix formatting[/size]

You can’t blame Gary, though. A lot of these lines are great mostly because of the way they’re delivered and the chemistry the cast had. Minutes into the first episode you get the feeling that these people had been doing this for years, and that’s really what makes it one of my favorite shows ever. You don’t need the actors to tell you that it was the best job they’ve ever had, you just know that from watching it.

Some of my favorite quotes come from the bonus material, as this set contains the best commentary and extra features I’ve ever seen. It’s almost like you’re getting an entirely new show when you listen to Joss and Nathan do the commentary for the first episode. I especially like the part where Joss is talking about explosions and he says something about complaints that explosions and action don’t really drive the plot, but then he gets down on the set and sees them and says “Oooh pretty!” It’s perfect because it fits so well with the show. You can easily see him as a tenth member of the crew.

Another favorite moment is when Alan Tudyk is talking about the things he does on the set to make it look like he’s piloting Serenity. He mentions these three switches he always throws because “they make good chicky sounds.”

So I can see how the quotes alone might not make you run out and buy the set, Gary. But stop being a poo-head and check out the best show Fox has cancelled yet.

The hardest I laughed was when it was pointed out in the first episode that at one point Alan is pretending to hold on to the controls in a shot. You don’t really notice it until it is mentioned, but sure enough, there he is with his hand gripping thin air.

I finally ordered this on DVD. Can’t wait to finally see it. After reading all these quotes, I’m quite excited (and no, not THAT excited, pervs…)