Firefox Quantum?

WTF, Mozilla?

The extension is called “Looking Glass 1.0.3” and this is its description: MY REALITY IS JUST DIFFERENT FROM YOURS. Now that sounds ominous. It’s really not, though. It’s a promotional campaign between Firefox and the TV series Mr. Robot that brings an alternate reality game to your browser. This must have sounded like a great idea when somebody pitched it to Mozilla, but the backlash has been fierce.
[…]
But still, if Mozilla is positioning itself as the privacy-conscious alternative to Google, Microsoft and others, then installing an extension without asking users first doesn’t feel right at all. It doesn’t help that the extension seems to come from Mozilla’s Shield project, which is the company’s platform for testing new features in Firefox with a subset of users who opt-in to giving these types of things a try.

Weird, and stupid. But I didn’t get it, so limited to some users?

Not sure how many were affected. I was one, and I immediately blamed it for some weird, unexplained performance issues I’d been seeing. Looking Glass probably wasn’t the cause of those, but still.

Mozilla hasn’t yet put out a public statement about it, but I have heard that they now realize it was a big mistake.

Yeah, I hate it. That and a lack of Cookie Monster (Cookie AutoDelete isn’t cutting it) made me go back to ESR for good today.

So Patreon and Firefox are under the same management? I don’t want to believe that stupidity is an infectious condition, and that it may be widespread.
Way to ruin your image in a stupid stunt. Google’s selfreplicating autoupdates look much more straightfoward and less invasive now.

Firefox 58 is out, with even more features to speed things up

Make sure to turn on tracking protection. I’m finding that pages load noticeably faster with it turned on.

Redundant with ublock, but if you don’t use an adblocker then sure.

I use both ublock and Privacy Badger. Anyone know if ublock is sufficient for blocking trackers?

Either way. It seems to make uBlock superfluous altogether.

Yes it is.

Ublock does much more than just blocking trackers but if that’s all you want, tracking protection in Firefox will do ya.

Whew, no more little notification pop-ups.

OK, Firefox is doing a really weird thing today. I pretty much keep a tab open to these forums, and I have Firefox remember my tabs from the last session. Well, today for some reason, every time I quit the browser and start it up again, and click on the tab for Qt3, I get a “cannot load app” message and it tells me “you appear to be offline.” In order to get things to show up I have to refresh the page, then things go back to normal. But even in the same session, if I go to another tab for a while and come back, same problem.

Anyone else seeing this? My ISP is Comcast/Infinity and I’m running Windows 10, if it makes a difference.

Does it happen with add-ons disabled?

Yep, also seeing this happen.

Haven’t checked, but my only add-ons right now are UBlock Origin, LastPass and Enhanced Steam. I’ll see if just disabling Enhanced Steam fixes it.

OK, just confirmed that the “Cannot load app” behavior of Firefox persists even with all add-ons disabled.

Probably the lazy tab loading functionality. Not a big deal, just refresh the tab when you get to it.

Went ahead and switched back to Firefox from Chrome. So far really liking this Quantum release, it’s ridiculously fast. It feels faster than Chrome but that might be “new browser” confirmation bias.

What prompted me to switch is Mozilla’s Facebook Container add-on. This is a feature every browser should have. I like the peace of mind knowing Facebook will have a much more difficult time tracking me now.

Facebook Container isolates your Facebook activity from the rest of your web activity in order to prevent Facebook from tracking you outside of the Facebook website via third party cookies.

Doesn’t the Privacy Badger addon do the same thing?