First images of SPEED RACER

“Car Fu” is a win for me.

Wouldn’t say she looks like Trixie, but she definitely doesn’t have the forehead thing going on. I approve.

Can’t be any worse than gun-kata!

Nothing can possibly be worse than gun-kata.

If someone doesn’t dig up the buried GRX engine from a graveyard on a moonless night, IT’S NO FUCKING SALE!

C’mon dude, it’s 30-something manchildren enjoying their nerdy delights.

Is the preview up somewhere yet? This looks pretty cool.

Trailer is out.

http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main

Wonder if this thing is gonna be released in 3D.

jb

Hanzii, once again reminding everyone he’s extremely European and only likes weird European things like Skipsol and Saltlakrids.

What is Christopher Hitchens doing in this

I hope this movie rocks. I used to love Speed Racer when I was younger.

I loved the episode where they dig up that engine from the grave and put it in the Mach Five and Speed goes so fast he has some kind of acid trip.

Oh yeah, the real life Speed Racer.

From the first image I thought it could be stylized-funky-cool, but now I can see that it just looks plain awful from top to bottom.

Seems like they decided to make it a live-action cartoon, for lack of a better term. Some will probably dig it; definitely not for me.

— Alan

lawl.

I love the look. Looks like I can take the kids too. They’re gonna go nuts!

My possible disappointment will be if any Racer X screentime isn’t interrupted every 30 seconds with the narrator excitedly mentioning the fact that the mysterious Racer X is, unbeknown to Speed, actually his long lost brother Rex who left home years ago.

Motherfucker

I understand why Michael Bay would make Transformers. He’s the great hack of our generation, our $200 million dollar Roger Corman. But I don’t understand why the Wachowski brothers would remake Speed Racer. They both strike me as genuinely talented, creative people and one of the few people in the industry who have creative autonomy to do pretty much whatever they wanted. The Matrix series showed that they were interested in the ideas underneath the pretty surfaces. But does anyone have anything more than a childhood nostalgia for Speed Racer? I can understand the desire to make just a fun, colorful popcorn movie, but why not do something of their own creation; don’t they have their own comic book company? Seems like they’d want to start creating film franchises based on their own brands rather than putting effort towards Speed Racer. Hell, I’d much rather have Bound 2 than this film.

Maybe they’re fans of Speed Racer and thought they could do something with it. Also, there are a lot of fans of Speed Racer and thus you already have an audience this sort of movie appeals to. No need for new franchise marketing and all that. Now, I don’t necessarily believe the Wachowski Brothers are the best directors around, but Speed Racer certainly does seem like an idea that would suit their sensibilities. The current production looks like it’s a lot of fun, if somewhat niche. So if I was a fan of the franchise, I’d much rather have the kind of director the Wachowski’s are, on this project, than it not being made at all.

yes it is

The Wachowski’s are big anime fans. Shouldn’t that make it obvious why they’d want to do this movie?