First images of SPEED RACER

Oh sweet christ. You did not just say that.

I LOVED this show…'nuff said.

I doubt it. This will be their first movie that didn’t make boffo boxoffice. They would have to fail a few more times to erase the billion and half Matrix trilogy sucess. This might be their last family friendly pic.

If they can find another Gina Gershon I may forgive them.

I bet Stallone and Banderas are lobbying for an Assassins sequel.

I, on the other hand, am lobbying for an Assassinz sequel.

Cinema circa 1970s would tend to disagree with you.

My mother-in-law took them to see it at a 5:30 that was packed.

My 5yr old fell asleep
My 13yr old said he wished he had brought sunglasses
My 14yr old said he thought it wasn’t very good at all

I am waiting to Netflix it in 6 months.

John Goodman wrestles a pantsless ninja and a Viking-themed racecar uses a catapult to throw angry beehives. Speed Racer is ridiculous and awesome and dreadful and hopelessly chaotic in roughly equal measure - and usually in the same scenes. It isn’t a movie so much as a kaleidoscopic montage of riotous colors shoved through your optic nerve: like eye candy dipped in marshmallow and sprinkled with LSD. You will stumble out of the theater, color-blind and wondering why the world looks like a B&W film now.

And I have no clue how the Wachowskis got this particular self-indulgent vanity project greenlit in the first place. “Full of sound & fury” etc.

Very strange. I saw this movie twice in a row, once on Friday night and once on Saturday night, both times on Imax. The second time we brought the kids, ages 7 and 8…both of them were rapt and absolutely loved it. Maybe not as much as I did, though.

I doubt we’ll see many anime turned movies in the future. At least not from the USA.

Why? I mean aren’t they already adapting Akira?

True, but that’s already in production. I guess things can change if Akira does well (assuming people are having doubts), which I’m sure people who are thinking about adapting more anime are watching to see if it’s a good idea.

OK well, you said " the future" and that is when Akira is coming out.

Dragonball as well, which is potentially an even worse idea than Speed Racer.

So, my friends and I were going to go watch speed racer, but we saw a trailer online that looked just horrible, and we read some reviews.

So, we rented Death Race 2000 instead.

Such a good decision. DR 2000 is probably one of the best grindhouse-esque movies ever. So gory, so fast, so fun.

There’s a live action Ghost in the Shell movie in the works as well. We’ll see how those do. They are less ludicrous choices for adaptation than Speed Racer.

yeah, the cartoon barely counted as animated. One step up from paddlefoot and two steps up from some pbs bullshit where they read a book and show the illustrations.

Just got back from this after going in with very low expectations and came out very entertained. Of course everything is ridiculous, but it meant I was laughing through most of the film. John Goodman fighting ninjas! It was so slapstick and silly and ridiculous and colorful. And even though the dialogue was laughable, the characters came across in the end as endearing.

My only complaint is the disconnect between the family worrying about Speed Racer and the fact that nothing in the race itself seemed very threatening. The in-race shenanigans and traps were hilarious as well.

Thumbs up.

Just saw the movie and thought it was extremely dumb.

The races… well, “too silly” would be an understatement, but at least they moved.

But my god, the dialogue scenes. These were the slowest, stupidest, most stultifying, poorly acted scenes I can remember.

I won’t bother complaining about the plot, after all the movie was I guess intended for 8-year-olds, but even so, well, OK, I will complain after all, it made no sense, and as an 8-year-old I’d read a lot more coherent comic book stories than whatever it was the W brothers thought this movie was supposed to be about.

I suppose I liked the garish colors. But even the fx were pretty weak in places. For example, the factory scene with all the employees whizzing around on segwayish things was stuttering badly and looked really awful.