First images of SPEED RACER

I’ve seen other people say this, and I have to wonder if you even paid attention to the film. Just what is it you thought the movie was about?

The plot is pretty simple and yet the interaction between the characters is rather complex. I’m wondering if you were watching it while drunk or something?

Now this is a nice post from a friendly person.

I would expect being high or otherwise intoxicated would actually heighten one’s enjoyment of a film like this.

I think extreme paranoia and confusion would be the only possible results. The movie was pretty over-stimulating as it was.

Dave, just because someone disagrees with you about the film doesn’t mean they are “drunk or something.” You liked it, Miramon didn’t. Get over it and move on.

Yeah, when I first saw the trailer, my first thought was “epilepsy”. Needless to say, I don’t plan to ever see it.

Part of one of the races takes place in a tunnel, the sides of which are textured with a stop-frame animation of a running zebra, and every other cell has the color inverted. When the camera looks down the tunnel, you can tell that’s what’s going on, but for any shots taken from the side of the cars, looking across the drivers, you see this huge, flashing, psychedelic zebra running in the background.

They obviously made some tough choices about how far to push the look of the movie, and it’s easy to disagree with a lot of them (like the “bad CG” of the people on the segways inside the Royalton (?) complex). That said, though, they definitely delivered on their vision, love it or hate it.

Congratulations, jerk. You just made me want to see Speed Racer.

-Tom

Wow, this could lose $100 million+ on initial release.

The movie also has a bee catapult.

Not that this should factor into your decision or anything!

Blu-ray DVD out today. I’ll be picking it up at the end of the week. Folks who have it have already been raving about the transfer.

I got to see the film in IMAX about a month ago when the new one opened here in Reading. It was even better the second time with a huge screen and high quality projection. I cannot wait to see this movie again on Blu-ray.

Did we see different movies with the same name? Mine had John Goodman and a race car in it.

This pic about sums it up for me… (taken from elsewhere on the web. Not my finger.)

Long, I’d post a cutting remark, but you’ve paid three times to see Speed Racer, and liked it!

You’ve gone way beyond my poor powers of retribution.

Giving the finger to your favorite shitty game/movie/band metacritic review? (even by proxy…)

You shouldn’t fight general consensus with the debating tools of 12-year old boys. Instead, you should embrace the fact that you have atrocious taste in films and music and go the route of John Waters. Spurn respectability; embrace the awfulness of your choices; celebrate camp and failures of all color and types. Ultimately, Waters understands that it doesn’t so much matter what you enjoy but how you enjoy it that makes the difference. Make the ironic turn and you can enjoy all the Speed Racer and speed metal you want but without having to make off-color hand gestures to your computer screen.

If I had a camera at work, I’d totally give this post the finger!

See!? Even Wholly has made the turn. Good for you, Wholly!!

Oh, that’s what that is. I thought I was getting the finger.

Rock on, Dave. Enjoy the Blu-Ray disc.

So wait… “Fuck Star Wars” is ok, but “Fuck Metacritic” is not? Cool.

For what it wanted to be, and as an homage to the original series, I think the movie was a success and a lot of fun. It had stunning visuals, some incredible action set-pieces that really raise the bar for action choreography, and (somewhat surprisingly) characters and a family I ended up caring and rooting for.

Sure it can be somewhat silly and cheesy, but then so was the original series. Yea Goodman wrestles a Ninja, but it’s SO over the top that it becomes amusing. (I chuckled when the ninja stars started flying out of his clothes)

Is it a great movie? Not really. But it’s an awful lot of fun. And it makes me wish I had a family so I could take them to see it.