First implementation of video game multi-processing?

Well, maybe not the first, but certainly one of the more obvious. NBA Live 2006 for the xbox 360 has this practice mode that seamlessly transforms into an actual game. While the game is being loaded into memory, you can continue to practice without any noticeable slowdown. Pretty slick.

Is this practice mode available on the other platforms?

That doesn’t have much to do with multiprocessing, it’s just a clever way to hide loading. Happens all the time in various games.

It’s a very slick feature but I don’t think it uses multiprocessing. I think that the only launch game that uses it is Condemned (for AI).

It is exclusive to the Xbox 360 version though.

Didnt Falcon 4.0 use multiple processors?

It was multithreaded, which I suppose could use multiple processors.

My belief is that the multithreading was the cause of most of Falcon’s problems.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_060b.html

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. Obviously the game runs as a single process.

Anyway, I was suggesting that this practice mode “works” because the thread loading the game is assigned to a different processor than the thread(s) handling practice mode.

That changes nothing. Everything in this thread still stands. It doesn’t require multiprocessing to be able to do that, just clever loading.

It could be that they wouldn’t have done it otherwise without the multiple cores though, if timeslicing on a single core would have slowed down the loading and (potential) decompression too much.

Even if loading the new game utilizes 100% of the first CPU (I do realize that this is probably I/O bound)? Wouldn’t the second CPU come in handy?

Actually, in most multiprocessing scenarios, if the bus is saturated by I/O, the other processor can’t do much.

It may help, but not really; processors still access ram via the FSB, which is shared. Of course, consoles can be different, but if you can do background loading on a single processor system, then you can do what that game did. A second processor might help slightly, but often it doesn’t take much CPU to access the disk anyway. Often the disk controller does most of the work (in a decent system).