First Star Wars standalone movie: Rogue One

And for Wookies, I presume. Especially wimpy, scholar wookies.

Overall, this was completely solid. Whitta would be proud! You go, Gary.

• CGI people featuring so prominently in the movie was… probably my #1 turnoff. As @tomchick said, at least don’t put them right next to real people and have them “act” against them. So uncanny valley it made my teeth ache.

• Costumes were a bit off now that you mention it, though I doubt many normals noticed or cared.

This could have been terrible, but it was totally, totally solid. I don’t agree with the effusive omg-best-ever praise it is getting but it’s a solid 8/10 or so from me.

QT3 of all places should know that wookiee is spelled with two E’s. It’s like the your/you’re thing every time you get it wrong!

Can we please retire the phrase “uncanny valley” forthwith? It has become more annoying than a 2 hour movie of Tarkin CGI. Thank you.

Nope!

DAMN YOU, 2016!

That’s what finally put you over the edge on 2016? You must have a high tolerance for bad things!

Best Star Wars movie since Empire.

That was actually my first gut reaction as well right after watching, although Empire was better because this one was a bit slow at the beginning.

Yes, I can’t remember the exact source, but the red piping on the side of Han’s pants was referred to as “the Correlian bloodstripe” at some point in the EU.

Yeah, but Empire feels that way every time you watch it!

I’d still put Rogue One behind Star Wars & Force Awakens, but I like it more than Jedi. The final act is stronger in Jedi.

Which the explanation for appears in the Correlian trilogy, I think. Something something botched smuggling job where he gets caught by imperials and disguises it with something about kids.

And somehow this is related to the job he ditched on Jabba, and why he has the bounty. It’s been 20 years, most of that is probably wrong.

We’re seeing this tonight then I’ll finally be able to read the hundreds of posts here!

I tried to watch The Force Awakens again and I didn’t even finish it. I’ll put this at 3rd, though I still waffle between Star Wars and Empire as the best. I must admit I haven’t seen episode 3.

[quote=“Pyperkub, post:741, topic:76559”] I must admit I haven’t seen episode 3.
[/quote]

While ep3 is the best of that trilogy, that’s not exactly an endorsement. It will not affect your ranking above. I absolutely agree with whoever above said the original trilogy now contains 4 movies.

There are peoe who think Ep 3 is better than Ep 1 and viceversa. The former I think will prefer Rogue One, while the latter will prefer The Force Awakens.

I belong to the latter group.

I think it’s about what you think Star Wars is really about and how seriously you take it. (also how much you care about technical aspects of filmmaking like direction of actors, composition and shot progression… Etc).

I’m not sure why you would want to waste brain cells comparing episodes 1 through 3. They are so very very bad it hardly matters which is better or worse. Bad writing, bad casting, bad acting, all around horrible.

Well thats not true at all. I preferred Ep 3 over 1 and while I liked Rogue One for what it is, I did not prefer it over TFA. Frankly Rogue One and TFA are two completely different movies with different styles, both of which can be enjoyed by the same fan. OTOH Ep1 and Ep3 are both hot messes and differentiating them is kind of like choosing if you would rather be hit in the balls with a baseball bat or line drive. With those two movies its not about the pain but how the pain is delivered.

Yeah, as far as I’m concerned the prequels of '99 through whenever were a monumental waste of the time, money and talents of everyone involved from the producers, “writers” and directors to the cast and crew to the kids ripping the movie tickets in half to the unfortunate victims that were the audiences. Those movies SUH-UCKED.

TFA and Rogue One have been a proper return to form for the franchise. I liked Rogue One better mostly because I cared more about the poor, doomed characters. Also, (from a hetero male perspective) I think Felicity Jones is the bee’s knees.

There were some incredible tracks on the soundtrack front in those movies, I mean real quality stuff.