First Star Wars standalone movie: Rogue One

I particularly loved how ‘cheap’ looking were the Rebel soldiers that went with the protagonists to help in the assault, with those vests and helmets they looked soldiers from a Vietnam war film, instead of a galaxy far away. It’s totally B-series style of costumes, which is appropriate for Star Wars.

So is a good movie or what?

Oh, oh, I totally know the answer to this one!

-Tom

Yes! If you haven’t seen it yet, you should.

I don’t know if I’d characterize them as everything is wrong, they all liked TFA, they just didn’t like RO. But if criticism ain’t your bag no worries.

I don’t know why everyone picks out those costumes as an example. Aside from a slight variation in coloring they are pretty much EXACTLY the same look as the rebel troopers form Return of the Jedi, which is what I assume the designers were going for. The color variation is probably meant to be more sand/scrub camo than the forest camo from RotJ.

I have no problem with criticism. What I hate are YouTube channels almost exclusively devoted to spending over an hour tearing shit apart. And then spending more time responding to responses. And a never ending cycle of cynicism that just drains all the joy and love from something.

Plinkett was cute for his prequel trilogy reviews. Now it’s just fucking old.

They do a whole review show. Tearing shit apart with a Plinkett review is a pretty rare occurrence for their channel. Recently they did a series just on movies they loved (including a great discussion on Tremors).

Would definitely second this.

That vader scene alone was SO badass - we needed more of those in the og trilogy!

George, is that you?

(watch the end of Rebels season 2)

Speaking of which, I always get confused over which TV star wars media is highly recommended. Seems like there are a few cartoon or 3D animated series?

Is the current Rebels the “Really Good” one?

Well…

I will simply add that, as season 3 hits its stride, they’ve really done a good job developing the threads. They got Thrawn right, which goes a long way.

I’d recommend watching like, the last 3 or 4 episodes of Season 5 of Clone Wars, then going to Rebels. Spoilers to tell you why though.

I think Rebels is fantastic. Never seen Clone Wars though.

Thanks! I’ll probably end up watching Clone Wars and then Rebels :-)

In another example of showing how the re shoots were a good idea. Gilroy in an interview with Yahoo! Movies said Vader’s slicing up the rebels shot was an added one.

Love these guys! Best of the Worst is my fave. :D

Finally saw this over the weekend (I like to let event movies sit on the burner for a few weeks and let the crowds thin out), and was astonished that I managed to completely avoid getting spoiled about the character’s fates for that length of time.

Just having now caught up with the replies to this thread since I stopped looking at it about the time the first trailer hit, I guess I can say I agree with the contingent that says this is the best SW movie since Empire. I liked the characters, but agree the introductions were not good. They felt rushed, and yet the whole first act just seemed to plod along.

The CGI Leia didn’t bother me, but CGI Tarkin really stuck out. Felt like watching a stop-motion character alongside real actors. It’s surprising to me that a SW movie couldn’t muster this kind of thing after it was pulled off so well with the younger versions of Michael Douglas in Ant-Man and RDJ in whichever Avenger movie that was.

But I was happy to see that my biggest trepidation - retreading the Death Star - didn’t materialize. They found new things to unveil about it, such as the low-power shots that deliver asteroid-impact levels of destruction. And I really liked that shot of the director coming to on the tower top and looking up at the sky to see the Death Star glaring down at him like a giant eyeball before firing the kill shot.

The final battle was really well done. Nice ebb and flow, and despite bouncing around between several different parties, you could still follow everything. Too many action movies these days fuck this part up. Another shot I liked was the Star Destroyer committing hyperjumpus-interruptus on the rebel fleet toward the end. Good stuff.

So the family and I finally saw this Sunday. We all liked it, to varying degrees I think. I don’t think any of us enjoyed it as much as TFA, but everyone did like it. Personally knowing the likely hood going in that everybody dies (because none of them are in episode 4) made for a strange experience. You don’t leave the theater on a high, but I think you are entertained and feel like you know more about a world that you do want to know more about.

The CGI didn’t really bother me. I do think they needed to do it, although they probably could have worked around it with both characters. The first one was used so much though that they did need either the CGI or a whole new character. The second could have been done another way.

As for people who thought the acting sucked, well, I don’t know that the acting in Star Wars movies has ever been the reason to see the movies. And sure there was less character development and chemistry in this film, but I thought there was enough to explain their motivations.