First Star Wars standalone movie: Rogue One

Blu-Ray/DVD launch on April 4th (naturally)

Gareth Edwards did a Reddit AMA. On the subject of the opening crawl:

[quote]
Gary Whitta actualy wrote one in the first draft. You’ll have to pester him for it ;) …I do believe that those opening crawl words are actually floating out there in space somewhere. We just have to fund NASA well enough so their deep-space telescopes can find them, lets crowd fund it and make it happen.[/quote]

Too bad Gary doesn’t post here anymore. We could have begged him to post the opening crawl exclusively on Qt3 and hugely raised Tom’s profile.

Then again, people would have learned about choggle pants and possibly boycotted any future films in which Gary was involved.

Someone did the obvious thing and did an edit that merges the end of Rogue One with the beginning of A New Hope.

Interestingly enough, upon seeing that video, I found CGI Leia notably more jarring now than way back when I watched the movie in the theater on a big screen. Weird. It’s not because of Carrie Fisher having passed in the meantime, it’s just that I’m now getting the same “something’s off…” vibe instantly that CGI Tarkin gave me immediately upon watching it in December.

I still don’t mind the CGI of either character, but I take back what I originally said about Vader’s neck portion looking ‘off’ in Rogue One. It was noticeable in the originals too, now that I’m explicitly looking for it. The lighting in Rogue One just made it stand out in a way that made it more obvious.

Finally saw this, going into this semi blind. It is pretty much a rehash of past SW movies, so derivative it is more worthwhile rewatching the original trilogy. People keep bagging Lucas but at least he brought something new to the prequels and refused to be slavish to the original trilogy. Like Jar Jar.

Episode VII, and now Rogue One. Disney is simply creatively bankrupted and turning SW even more into a money printing machine and nothing else.

That’s an interesting take. When I saw it (and I just rewatched it last night after picking up the disc) I was struck by how it didn’t feel like a Star Wars movie at all. It’s got the characters, ships, and pew pew like you’d expect, but the beats and resolution are wholly un-Star Wars. Even the shot composition felt like a different franchise.

And I still haven’t seen this. It would have blown ten-year-old-me’s mind that a Star Wars movie would come out and I’d just let it pass by, but here we are. I mean, I’m sure I’ll catch it some time. Has to be on Netflix or cable someday, I guess.

I really don’t understand the perspective that Rogue One is a “rehash”. Everything from the core problem they’re solving, to the types of characters they introduce, to the alliances that are formed across completely different factions, to the diverse casting, to the ending are unlike anything in any of the other 7 movies.

Heck, even elements like The Force are handled completely differently from any other Star Wars movie.

Or you can rent the Blu-ray when it comes out. I actually saw this one in the theater but the previous one with faux-Keira Knightley I waited to watch on Blu-ray. (BTW, I liked Rogue One better)

It’s out - saw it at Costco last night. Still in no rush.

Spoilers ahoy.

Now let’see: space battle, the Rebels against seemingly impossible odds but still “won”: that’s from RotJ when Palpatine was baiting Luke.

Ground assault: a mix of Ewok-less ground assault in RotJ and the start of Esb.

Character beat: same but slightly different.

A non Jedi doing Jedi like feats, tick.
A darker Solo/Lando, tick.
A protagonist with Daddy issue. Daddy seems like a bad dude but really isn’t, and protagonist is hidden away by some bigwig anti Imperial figure. Key to destroying a key part of the empire. Tick tick tick.
Bureaucratic infightings within the Rebels and the Empire: a gift from prequels Senate infightings. The betrayal of that white cape dude. cannot be greater than the time Paplatine ordered Anankin to off Count Dooku. Ah the perils of the middle manager: first to go in a corporate restructure.

If you’re going to be that reductionist about it then may as well throw Joseph Campbell at every film you see.

Does it share some similarities? Absolutely. Does it do some different things? Most certainly. The climax had a very different feel than any of the other original films, and the stakes were different. The Rebel fleet got destroyed, their win was pyrrhic in nature.

Soma’s post is one of those that make me wonder if anyone else sees “green” or “blue” or tastes “sweet” the same way I do.

He/she sat down and saw the same movie I did (apparently), but perception is totally different. It’s not worth debating anymore than arguing about whether your green is the same as my green.

Exactly. Facts are all there and the same, but the interpretations are completely different. One man’s rehashing-last-night-leftover is another man’s inspired-reimagining.

I’m not saying I’m right and you are wrong or vice versa. I’m just saying my recognition of the tropes from past SW movies makes me think this is just a cash in rather creative risk-taking. Lucas took more creative risk with the prequels (and I’m ok with the prequels, other than the Portman/Christensen wooden acting duo), and look how some people hated him for it.

Complaining about a space battle in a SW movie…your logic well…defies any logic. I have no idea how you could like any movie if you think like this.

“Hey WTF are they racing cars for in a Fast and Furious movie…LAME!!! and that James Bond guy always getting out of another crazy situation…do something original people!”

Are there actually places you can rent blurays any more? I haven’t seen a video store in years.

Is Redbox not around anymore? Maybe it’s gone and I’m out of the loop. I still do the “one Blu-ray at a time” thing from Netflix along with streaming but I should probably just rent recent movies through my devices instead–it would probably be cheaper.

Redbox still exists! And according to a post on Reddit , Blockbuster Videos are still around in certain cities!

I still use Redbox. There is also a Family Video near me that’s still in business. But I’ve never been there. I do miss the days of Disc Netflix, when you could watch whatever you wanted and weren’t restricted to what was on Redbox and streaming services. Even though I’ve never been to Family Video, I bet it’s hard to find certain movies, and it’s not as extensive a collection as Disc Netflix.