Firt pic of Brandon Routh as Clark Kent

Is this movie supposed to take place at the same time as the first one? His hair and clothing really look like ealry 80’s businessman. OR are they just trying to make him look like Reeve?

He looks Clark Kent enough for me.

Will he still be battling a giant spider and/or polar bears?

It takes 6 years after Superman 2. So year, its set in the late 80s early 90s and they are trying to make him look like Reeve.

Oh no, they’re keeping it in the same timeline that would eventually lead to him fighting Nuclear Man?!

He does look like Reeve, but he also looks like an elf.

Seriously, all i can see are the ears.

They are considering 3 & 4 do not exist.

They are considering 3 & 4 do not exist.[/quote]
3 & 4 what? I thought we were talking about Superman. There is no 3 & 4 as of yet.

Have the people behind this said why they’re going that route? I would imagine that the cost of dressing all the sets with accurate props for the 80/90s has to cost more than present day materials, so why the extra effort?

Have the people behind this said why they’re going that route? I would imagine that the cost of dressing all the sets with accurate props for the 80/90s has to cost more than present day materials, so why the extra effort?[/quote]
I wonder if it has much to do with Christopher Reeve himself. Nevermind the comic book status of Superman himself, Christopher Reeve as Superman is sort of iconic on its own level, and with his publicity late in life through his paralyzation and death, he’s got hero status all his own. I wonder if they feel like they can’t just ignore that in making a new Superman movie the way they’re starting with a clean slate for Batman.

I think it’s because Singer likes Donner’s film a lot and he’s not interested in doing an Origin story. Especially after X-Men 1 (which he said was a pain in the ass compared to the 2nd one just because of character introductions).
Origin movies are usually weaker compared to the second one. Plus, who doesn’t know the Superman origin by now so, why redo it when you can just continue on into more fun territory. Superman isn’t an unknown quantity.

If only that were true. Can we consider Batman 3 & 4 non-existent, too?

If only that were true. Can we consider Batman 3 & 4 non-existent, too?[/quote]

Isn’t that what the new Batman movie is doing plus deletion of 1 & 2?

Number 3, Batman Forever is the only one I find watchable.

Richard Donner, along with his wife Laura were producers of Xmen I & II. During that time him and Richard talked a lot about Superman. Richard had a very different cut in mind for Superman 2 and a story in mind for Superman 3. As you know, Warners replaced Donner as director on Superman 2 very near the end of production. Singer was very enthralled with what Donner planned but couldn’t complete. Singer approced Warners on doing Superman. He wanted to not only make a true Superman III, continuing the story line setup by Donner but to have Donner come in and finish his Superman II. Superman Returns is going to pick up from THAT version of Superman II. Unfortantely Warners and Donner couldn’t come to an agreement. So there will be some setup in the beginning of Superman Returns to get the story “back on course.” Still Singer is hoping if Superman Returns is Sucessful, they can reedit Superman II later. The idea will be Superman I , II, Returns, and whatever the fourth movie is will be considered one story.

Number 3, Batman Forever is the only one I find watchable.

Richard Donner, along with his wife Laura were producers of Xmen I & II. During that time him and Richard talked a lot about Superman. Richard had a very different cut in mind for Superman 2 and a story in mind for Superman 3. As you know, Warners replaced Donner as director on Superman 2 very near the end of production. Singer was very enthralled with what Donner planned but couldn’t complete. Singer approced Warners on doing Superman. He wanted to not only make a true Superman III, continuing the story line setup by Donner but to have Donner come in and finish his Superman II. Superman Returns is going to pick up from THAT version of Superman II. Unfortantely Warners and Donner couldn’t come to an agreement. So there will be some setup in the beginning of Superman Returns to get the story “back on course.” Still Singer is hoping if Superman Returns is Sucessful, they can reedit Superman II later. The idea will be Superman I , II, Returns, and whatever the fourth movie is will be considered one story.[/quote]

Re-edit Superman2? Ugh, thanks AGAIN, George Lucas.

To be fair, Superman 2 was butchured by Richard Lester and what Richard Donner wanted to do (and for the most part shot) is well documented and would of been a much better movie. This isn’t a case of a director changing his mind 20 years later.

Remember when we were kids and we thought continuity was totally cool?

With this it almost feels out of control…

It’s been forever since I’ve seen Superman 2, can someone give me a quick recap of the plot and how it would’ve differed had it not been butchered, or point me to a synopsis somewhere?

Superman 2 is the one where the three Kryptonian exiles end up on Earth, just after Superman gives up his powers to marry Lois.

Which is the one where Superman spun the Earth back in time? Because that was pretty dumb

That was the first Superman movie. Louis is killed in the big quake so he spins the Earth backword to reverse time.