Fishing industry news

The largest habitat for sockeye salmon was previously protected.

A mining company CEO meet with Pruitt for half an hour, and without reviewing any of the previously done research on the salmon run which had taken place over decades, he reversed all of the protections.

Prior scientific studies predicted that opening this large pit mine will destroy most of the salmon population.

So I guess I hope you guys don’t like eating salmon.

I also hope you guys aren’t salmon fishermen.

Trump doesn’t care as long as KFC and McDonalds supply him with something resembling food.

The state can stop it - but they always approve every mining application (a few years ago PBS Frontline I think had a story on it.) Environmental organizations and state AGs have mitigated some of this corrupt regimes assault on the environment, but it’s bleak.

Other fishing news - and probably not what Timex had in mind, sorry -

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2017/vaquita-10-05-2017.php

Wildlife officials in Mexico next week will attempt to capture and protect some of the last vaquita on Earth in a desperate effort to save these small porpoises from extinction. The operation in the Gulf of California, scheduled to begin Oct. 12, will use trained U.S. Navy dolphins to locate vaquita, whose numbers have dwindled by 90 percent in the past five years. Fewer than 30 remain alive today.

Bycatch Responsible for Decline of New Zealand Sea Lion

Their conclusion, published in the international journal PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America), is that, despite measures since 2001 to protect New Zealand sea lions from being killed in fishing nets, commercial fishing continues to affect their numbers. The authors believe the current management of sea lion bycatch in the arrow squid fishery around the subantarctic Auckland Islands places the population at risk of extinction, because the New Zealand government assumes fishing is not a major threat to the species.

I’ve had a little bit to do with both hydrometallurgy and aquaculture funnily enough, and if you can have both industries you build both.

The Prof stated accurately that they need a proposal on the table so the hydrogeologists can take a look at it.

If they think the hit to the fishery will be manageable it could well be worth it.