FIU pedestrian bridge collapse

Florida International University’s less than a week old pedestrian bridge (which wasn’t supposed to be officially completed until 2019) has collapsed across a six lane road, possibly killing and injuring multiple people.

Sold and installed as a so-called “instant bridge.”

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that President Donald Trump was aware of the bridge collapse and would provide government resources as needed.

Thoughts and prayers coming up.

The NBA (National Bridge Association) released the following statements:

“Bridges don’t kill people, people kill people.”

“If people had their own individual bridges, this tragedy could have been avoided.”

Oops.

I know you meant Trump, but the primary construction company got that covered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeAreMCM/status/974362954828255232

There are some very fine people on both sides of the bridge.

This is a PDF the engineering company did touting the bridge: https://www.bpamiami.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Spring-2016-Newsletter_Web.pdf.

The bridge was designed to have tower stays, which weren’t installed yet. How they decided they could put up the main span without the stays eludes me, but they brag about it right there in the document.

Worse yet:

BPA team selected for the Miami-Dade transit bridge inspection and structural analysis contract

So, other bridges are at risk too.

There is video of the bridge being built and installed, interesting to watch. Seems like a pretty simple design but you have to assume somebody missed something big time.

Cutting those regulations always works out great red-states.

From that document. Yeah no shit guys.

If someone in a position to take responsibility is only responding with messages of thoughts and prayers, take them to task by all means. But as far as we know, this isn’t that.

When the Bay Bridge (from Oakland to SF) was re-done they had to go back and re-do a large portion of the work because of how poor the work was done. It happens in blue states to. The state had originally approved the methods used.

On the plus side it really was astounding they replaced such a huge part of that bridge over a weekend and ahead of time.

Why is this in P&R?

I was confused about all the super cynical and snarky responses until I noticed what category it was in.

I try hard to keep my snarky comments to myself immediately after an event where lives have been lost. Sometimes it’s challenging.

I see not everyone here is up to the challenge.

I can’t tell if you’re being snarky on purpose or if you just failed your own challenge.

No one died in this thread so I can be snarky about people in the thread.

I hope no one died in this thread.

But how do you know?! If someone died mid-reply, they might be eternally shown as “replying” at the bottom of the thread and we’d be none the wiser.

I think they’d have the decency to post an em da—