Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

I’m not from California, but I didn’t like it the one time I went there. The fries were like damp, greasy cardboard.

You gotta eat them fast and hot…sadly we are just not used to real fries cut from real potatoes seconds before they are cooked and served. Otherwise, yeah the just die in the bag, a horrible limp death.

That’s probably because they weren’t fried twice. You gotta fry them once for about 5 minutes, let them sit for another ten, then finish em off.

Edited to add: If you want the absolute best fries ever and live in southern Ontario you MUST go to Hutch’s on the beach in Hamilton. Don’t feed the seagulls though.

The best fries I have seen are the Brew City brand Skin-On Maxi Cut. It’s a beer battered fry, available a lot of places, it goes with the thicker hamburger meals, it might be out of place with thinner burgers. For thinner burgers, I’ll go with the Burger King.

Seasoned patties are tough to find at fast food places, Burger King had them with the BK Homestyle about six years ago, but no one seems to be doing them since. I’d probably have a coronary inside of a month if a major fast food chain decided to sell a patty mixed with onion soup mix, so that might be a good thing.

That’s a bit of a generalization, but yeah, I’m not a fan; when I had 5 Guys this past summer, I thought it was up to what everyone praises In N Out as being.

I’ll join in on the Fudrucker’s love-fest–their burgers, buns, and cookies are all absolutely amazing. Their fries leave a bit to be desired: a bit TOO fluffy for my tastes (I like more crunch).

Since I am an abomination against beef and generally like medium-medium-well burgers, I don’t mind expertly-done well done meat from 5 Guys. . . but then again, I legitimately enjoy McDonald’s hamburgers, so my judgment probably can’t be trusted.

As far as fries go. . . 5 Guys’ are good. . . but I absolutely love Burger King’s fries. They could use a hell of a lot more seasoning, but my GOD they are crispy. drools

Side note: I think the Big N Tasty from McDonald’s at least used to be well-seasoned, if only because I once got one that had taken a four millimeter thick coating of salt and pepper that rendered it inedible.

YEah, but I am a baby and do not like lettuce, blue cheese, cheese, pineapple and certainly not on a burger.

Also, no likey the sweet potatoes. I am hell to cook for. Unless you like eating the same stuff every week.

Pop quiz, does anyone else feel compelled to call them “buttfuckers” or is it just me?

Y is the answer, though as I get older, I have to throttle that urge.

I’m pretty sure that’s integrated with their marketing scheme. Anyway, as a rare-medium rare meat/burger eater, I have no place in my life for places that do not cook meat to order. For that thrill, I might as well hit up the dollar menu.

Fortunately, in Atlanta we have the Vortex franchise which contains the Coronary Bypass, my poison of choice. Half a pound of hamburger meat(rare), six strips of bacon, a slice of swiss (I don’t like American), and a fried egg. I try to space them out once every 3-6 months.

I’m pretty sure that’s integrated with their marketing scheme. Anyway, as a rare-medium rare meat/burger eater, I have no place in my life for places that do not cook meat to order. For that thrill, I might as well hit up the dollar menu.

Fortunately, in Atlanta we have the Vortex franchise which contains the Coronary Bypass, my poison of choice. Half a pound of hamburger meat(rare), six strips of bacon, a slice of swiss (I don’t like American), and a fried egg. I try to space them out once every 3-6 months.

I like 5 guys, but I don’t go there often.

Side note: I am actually glad that the Fatburger in town closed. Fuck that place.

No, nobody.

You mean Ruddfuckers, right?

Now there’s a chain I haven’t thought of in years. God, I could go for a Frisco Burger right now.

Really? I avoid Burger King fries ever since they changed them way back when. They weren’t great before but now they are almost inedible IMO. I thought it was a big step backwards.

For fast food fries (I consider 5 guys to be a step above fast food) I would go:

Chik-fil-a waffle fries
Arbys curley fries
McDonalds (these have gotten worse over the years as well)
Everything else

Yep they still have that around here, awesome burger. It’s now 100% Angus beef. Their taste is about 10 times better than it was a few years ago but they cook to order now so the drive through is slower.

Dude. Crinkly fries from Del Taco >>> all

I’m just wondering how Arby’s curly fries rated higher than McD’s fries of heavenly origin?

Ugh. I hate those. Arby’s has done away completely with their regular fries in our area so I have no choice. I loves me some Giant Roast Beef sammmiches.