Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

Don’t have Del Taco around here.

McD’s fries are not as good as they used to be. They changed what they fried them in. Much like how the old fried cherry and apple pies were awesome and the new baked ones are passable.

Are Arby’s curly fries the ones that are spiced? I love spiced fries, but not many fast food places bother.

For a while way back when, Burger King had something called ‘tornado fries’. Those were pretty awesome. My dad and I would go there on comic book day just to get a large order of tornado fries and a large vanilla shake each, then sit down and read the latest adventures of Spidey or whatever.

What a good memory I’d completely forgotten about.

So much better than all the times he beat me with a pool cue.*

*This never happened. Sorry, dad.

I wonder what the switch was Xaroc? I know they flash the frozen fries with a glaze and flavor, that’s been happening for about 10+ years now. I’m assuming any new taste change might be related to the trans-fat purge from restaurants?

Yeah I am talking about back when they cooked them in lard as opposed to vegtable oil. Back then they were awesome.

Here is something about the transfat thing: http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/01/mcdonalds_final.html

I remember something about McD’s saying they stopped using animal based oil, and all the Vegetations were all happy. Then someone figured out they lied, I’m trying to find an article on it now.

Also, as far as fries, I can’t get over how awesome waffle-cut fries are, I guess it’s the 5 year old in me that loves the shape. As far as my favorite fries go, Royal Farms western fries, hands down, massive, seasoned well, and tasty as all outdoors.

Look at all the knowledge and discussion on fast food in here.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we are fat.

I think you got a bad example of five guys, man. I’ve had some great burgers from there. Not as good as Hawk and Dove burgers or that new Good Stuff place by Spike, but good. Two patties standard, and no cheese or bacon for me, thanks. Tomato, lettuce, pickle, onion, mustard, and grilled onions. Fries swimmin’ in malt vinegar. Mmmmmm.

I think it was the fries. They said they were vegetarian then it came out that they soak them in some kind of beef broth or something like that … it made all the Hindus in India upset.

I think they were pissed off they were cooking them in animal fat.

No, they’ve been fried in vegetable oil for a while now. The uproar was that the “natural flavor” ingredient listing for the fries themselves referred to beef extract.

This: they USED to be fried in beef tallow (basically the cow version of lard), giving them an amazing flavor.

When they stopped doing that (resulting in worse fries), they started flavoring them with beef extract to get at least the taste, if not the texture, back how it used to be.

Sans both now, they are a pale imitation of what they used to be.

Quick, kill the skinny kid!!!

No. This is why you’re fat.

/thread

They taste the same to me as they always have. This is where the phrase “pillar of salt” comes from, right?

Jesus. I’m interested in trying a bite of one or two of those, but most of those are just nasty.

Don’t worry; I’m not proud of being a fast food gourmet =/

Woah fuck you Garbage Plates are fucking amazing.

Edit:

Wtf/

Man, fuck Maryland. I will mourn your loss.

No Del Taco here in VT, either. And it looks like the closest Five Guys location is soon to open in Saratoga Springs…

If anyone’s in the Green Mountain State, though, and wants a good burger and some great sweet potato fries, get thyself to The Alchemist brewpub in Waterbury, stat.

What the fuck is a Del Taco?

Oh, and the first Five Guys just opened down the road.