Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

While I can’t comment on this particular brand, I wholeheartedly endorse this style! I love a good old style Bavarian mustard like this. So good.

To digress, my favorite mustard is Kosciusko brand brown mustard from Plochman. Oddly enough the mustards which have the Plochman name on them taste terrible to me. But I like many other strongly flavored types, from Colman’s on down to various kinds of Dijon. American yellow mustard is an abomination, however. I recently tried Terrapin Farms smokey onion mustard, which is really an excellent condiment, but doesn’t have enough actual mustard in it to qualify as a mustard per se.

Do you have any idea how many “poor-people foods” are now “rich-people foods” because arrogant aristocrats turned their noses up at an ingredient or dish and those “poor people” made the best of things and discovered its true potential? Caviar, lobster, oysters, polenta, foie gras, sushi, escargot, and of course all of that absolutely delicious southern barbecue to name a few. All considered “poor-people food” at one time.

Is it that thing I see at the deli that looks like a liverwurst but rolled with other stuff?

I like braunschweiger but in small doses. It’s good for a sandwich but after I eat one I’m done with the stuff for weeks, so the rest goes to waste.

I rarely eat bologna anymore but the good stuff, sliced fresh from a loaf and then fried is a real treat. We will once a year or two do a weekend trip to New Harmony, IN, and there’s a place called The Yellow Tavern that serves great fried bologna sandwiches. I always get one.

I’ve never seen that. The one I usually get from the deli has a very similar color to liverwurst, but the texture is lighter? You can easily use it as a spread on bread/crackers, or slice it up like liverwurst.

It’s on the list!

Around my area, braunschweiger is just a brand of non-deli-counter liverwurst, mostly with no bacon, though I’ve seen it with bacon bits mixed in. It’s edible, better than Mother Goose, but not as good as the Deutschmacher brand at the deli counter. I have the sense in the midwest the default name for liverwurst is braunschweiger – is that true?

On Okra - I dislike the vegetable itself, but it makes everything else that’s stir-fryed with it amazing (especially meat).

Which unfortunately means I almost never do because I don’t buy things that will end up as waste.

Okra is hard to get right when cooked the desi way (India/Pakistan). My mom always makes it perfectly, and it’s so delicious. But I tried it a few times, and the timing is really tricky. You don’t want it too soft, or it’s squishy and not tasty. But you also don’t want it undercooked, because then it’s not the right softness either.

If you can get the timing right though, I love Okra curry cooked that way. Way better than Manchurian Okra or Bhindi Fry, where they just basically fry it with lots of oil. When I eat Okra curry with pita bread, I love eating some extra sharp cheddar with it. It really compliments the taste of the tomatoes and the okra in the curry.

Growing up I used to meet my father and mother at his mother’s house for lunch one day a week. Every now and then she would fix him (and only him) liver and onions for lunch. Sliced liver. The smell was awful, just like when my mom would cook the turkey giblets for the cats.

I’m guessing that it’s a taste that you either acquire at a young age or just never do.

Any time anyone says something about acquiring taste for something, I usually fall into this category. I don’t eat organ meats of any kind. I find the texture and smell repulsive.

Okra I’ve had very little of. Most of those Southern “poor” foods or whatever we’re calling them, I’ve never had.

I think as most people age they do become more experimental in their food tastes, often discovering foods they wouldn’t have touched as kids or young adults. But there is just something about organ meats. I have watched Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel eat organ meats a dozen times and never have I ever thought that I wanted to try them.

I ate the intestine of, I guess, a pig at a Korean barbecue place once. But I was full of soju at the time. Would I have eaten it sober? Probably not. Speaking of drinking, I am an eclectic imbiber. Except for gin. Can’t stand it. I also hate the taste of tonic water. So a gin and tonic? No thanks.

A great deal of it has a weird/unusual texture but the flavor is fine and not unusual at all. Tripe, sweetbreads, tongue, heart, etc. Some of it tastes amazing, like foie gras. And some tastes like piss (kidneys) or sheisse (intestines) or just bizarrely gamey/barnyardy (stomach). Liver has a unique, well, livery flavor. I don’t like it straight up, but I love paté and foie gras.

This thread has definitely taken a turn for the wurst.

At least, unlike @stusser’s suggestions, it doesn’t taste like schnitzel.

See though I don’t eat it, but I do try it every couple of years or so. My instant response is gross and usually followed by some gag reflex. Since I am an adult, it doesn’t just come right out like it did when I was a kid but oh my god.

Also, I came from a traditional house of “Eat it until you like it” which never, ever, has ever, or probably will ever work. I was forced to eat a lot of stuff or not eat at all, and none of that stuff do I eat today.