Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

I was riffing off his complaint of mouthfeel. Because it’s never really been an issue for me with most things, but there is a particular issue I have with certain types of junk food that leave you with the gritty oily feel afterwards.

The ‘your’ seems to have been my phone doing some weird ‘autoincorrecting’

Ohhh - what junk food’s do that to you?

Oh jeez, I don’t eat them really anymore. But things like your Hostess cherry pie things, or cheap HoHo’s (maybe even the real ones now)

You get the idea.

I didn’t now if you were referring to pork rinds… something I have still been too afraid to try.

I think I know what you mean. I’ve had cheap gas station doughnuts that left my mouth feeling almost oily or perhaps waxy. Not pleasant.

Yes, exactly. It’s this greasy, oily aftertaste, that is also somehow gritty.

Extremely off putting, which is just as well as these things are terrible for you anyhow.

Might be caranauba wax.

Carnauba wax (E903) is a mixture of compounds derived from the Brazilian Mart wax palm, Copernicia cerifera ​, which is commonly used as a coating or glazing ingredient, particularly in confectionery, chocolate- coated bakery products, snacks, nuts and coffee beans, and it is also used as a surface treatment on fresh fruit.

I got some Singapore Curry Ramen because internet people are all “fancy Ramen fancy Ramen”.

Not only was it served in an MRE style bag, but the small gelled curry paste, very oily, very funky and ramen noodles contained something like 80g of fat per serving. Not to mention the salt. Not only did it feel like i had just eaten something industrial and inedible but i felt horrible for a good couple days afterword and ate only foods i hoped/prayed would detox me because i felt so funky. Such a strange, only technically edible, oily/salty paste. Even at $5 a bag it wasn’t good enough by a long shot. Honeslty plain pasta with nothing on it would have been 100x preferable. Blech on that stuff.

Industrial agriculture / relative confinement of pigs vs cows / relative intelligence of pigs. Even in feed lots cows have more room than pigs, and many cows at least grow up “on the range”.

I remember working up in Lipscomb County, Texas on Wolf Creek and on one side were these large, healthy, free range cattle and on the other dairy cattle, segregated by age, mucus coming out of every orrifice, thin, spindly and unhealthy looking.

That is (I think) a very close spelling to a wax use on your car.

Jeff, it is used as car wax.

I have a friend whose wife for many years raised goats, for the meat and the milk. The area she kept them on was cleaner than most commercial office buildings. It was her belief clean conditions made for a better product.

Eventually the time the goats required was more she was willing to put in, but she did make wonderful cheese and meat products from those goats.

More info.

Carnauba wax can produce a glossy finish and as such is used in automobile waxes, shoe polishes, dental floss, food products such as sweets, instrument polishes, and floor and furniture waxes and polishes, especially when mixed with beeswax and with turpentine. Use for paper coatings is the most common application in the United States[ citation needed ]. It was commonly used in its purest form as a coating on speedboat hulls in the early 1960s to enhance speed and aid in handling in salt water environments.[ citation needed ] It is also the main ingredient in surfboard wax, combined with coconut oil.[ citation needed ]

Because of its hypoallergenic and emollient properties as well as its shine, carnauba wax appears as an ingredient in many cosmetics formulas where it is used to thicken lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, foundation, deodorant, various skin care preparations, sun care preparations, etc.[ citation needed ] It is also used to make cutler’s resin.

It is the finish of choice for most briar tobacco or smoking pipes. It produces a high gloss finish when buffed on to wood. This finish dulls with time rather than flaking off (as is the case with most other finishes used).

Although too brittle to be used by itself, carnauba wax is often combined with other waxes (principally beeswax) to treat and waterproof many leather products where it provides a high-gloss finish and increases leather’s hardness and durability.

It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry as a tablet-coating agent. Adding the carnauba wax aids in the swallowing of tablets for patients. A very small amount (less than a hundredth of one percent by weight, i.e., 30 grams for a 300 kg batch) is sprinkled onto a batch of tablets after they have been sprayed and dried. The wax and tablets are then tumbled together for a few minutes before being discharged from the tablet-coating machine.

So pretty much everyone has eaten it or used it at some point.

Edit: I do not believe that Five Guys uses it in its burgers or fries. :)

True and Irrelevant story, When I was a kid, for years, I thought “Welsh Rarebit” was “Welsh Rabbit”.

Wow. It feels a little odd we eat stuff used in industrial applications.

I would imagine everyone of my generation thought that. :)

Hell I am not in your generation and thought that well into my 20’s when I tried to cook some myself.

I had Five Guys tonight for the first time in probably like a year. It was pretty good. This is my contribution to this thread. :P

What toppings did you put on the burger?