Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

Lettuce, onion, pickles, mayo, ketchup.

You forgot mushrooms and mustard! And tomatoes! And did you not get cheese? And then we’re supposed to say ‘all the way’. So I say "cheeseburger all the way plus a1 steak sauce’. Yes, I may have just inserted my preferences for individual toppings, and the exact way I order it, into your hamburger. Who knew how far this thread would go?!

Thank goodness someone got it back to burgers.

Yep, thats something I can really sink my teeth into!

Five guys actually opened up two locations in Germany! The closest one is 60 miles away though, not really convenient for a quick bite.

The first few times I went to Five Guys, I went overboard like that with the toppings and just ended up with a soggy, difficult to consume mess. It wasn’t cool. I feel like 3-5 is the sweet spot.

That describes most of my 5-guys burgers and I certainly don’t go overboard with toppings. They are just a bit greasy and their buns are kind of mushy and on the very softly toasted side. Eating them while in their slightly opened wrapper is key to the event.

Damnit, now I want a burger for lunch.

No idea why, but every freaking diner and burger place around here only offers 1/2 lb. burgers. Too damned much, I just can’t eat that.

That’s my main beef with 5 Guys - the burgers are wrapped in foil, making them a steaming soggy mess to eat. To a lesser extent, Chick-Fil-A as well, but that’s mainly because of their owner’s shitty religious beliefs and donations.

I do all the way

The first time I ordered all the way. Never made that mistake again. I don’t like eating a burger with a knife and fork. :) Now it’s ketchup, mustard, pickles and onions.

Their sauteed onions and sauteed mushrooms are the worst sog-ifiers. I think the default “all the way” includes one or both though, so it doesn’t hold up. Raw onions are the way to go there.

Raw onions = All I taste is onions. Why would you want raw when you can enjoy the sweet crispiness of sauteed?

Yes, my burger completely disentegrates, but it tastes amazing.

FYI, when you make burgers at home, soak your onions. Slice them and soak them in cold water for a bit. It mellows out the flavor.

So someone introduced me to a (newish?) burger chain I never heard of before earlier this week - Mooyah.

I found it definitely better than Five Guys. In particular the buns are very solid and stand up quite well to the size of the burger. To be fair I did not do the toppings overload that 5Guys encourages.

I just looked them up. They have one literally on the opposite side of the city from me but I may wander over there next time I work down that way.

I’ve been to Mooyah locations in Round Rock, TX and Irvine, CA. They are pretty greasy - like Smashburger. They have a few different patty sizes and pre-made burger choices. You can also make your own. Fries are a great thick cut. Worth trying but I find they’re pretty expensive compared to, say, In-n-Out.

Yeah, it’s the foil that makes them mushy, but that’s also kinda a feature rather than a flaw. The moisture transfer makes them what they are, much like an ice cream sandwich.

Supposedly they are putting an In-n-Out burger in Keizer, Oregon near where I live in Salem. It will be the northernmost location when it opens. I’m expecting the traffic jam on I-5 to reach all the way to Portland when it opens from all the California transplants driving down.

I like sharp-flavored raw onions, not actually on the bun, but on the side. Yeah, I know that’s a bit odd. But I’m told marinating them in vinegar for a while is good.

There are locations all over the middle east. That is crazy.

Had Five Guys today for the first time in a few years. Nothing against them, just don’t often find myself near one. Burgers were as I remembered, although I forgot to get a small burger (not as big a fan of double pattied burgers). The fries were better than I remembered, tho. I remember not thinking much of them one way or the other last time. But I actually thought they were better than average this time.