Flash Forward

One of the clips for “This season on Flash Forward” definitely showed the Dad of the injured boy as being involved in some way.

Yeah, based on the daughter and the eeriness of the encounter … Which makes me cringe a little.

Slainte: Not any inconsistency that I can see… the ones on the west coast are saying 10:00pm April the 29th. The ones in London are saying 6:00am April 30th. Dude on the toilet with the newspaper is among the 10:00pm April 29th reading a paper which is from that morning. And in Los Angeles I’m sure it’s not too difficult to get an east coast paper same day. (As to why he was in the office at that late hour and nonchalantly browsing the paper while sitting on the john…no idea. Especially as the other agent was frantic and dodging gunmen while presumably in the same building at the same time.)

zengonzo and Tyjenks: The hospitalized boy, his dad and the doctor… you got it that the dad is the man that the doctor is with instead of the FBI dude; right? In the preview clip you can see the recognition, for her part at least. I felt they explained that pretty clearly. Now, if you’re delving into why, if the boy remembers the doctor… and the doctor doesn’t appear to have “seen” the boy in her flash… why doesn’t the doctor remember the boy, then I think you’re on to something.

Seems like some people’s flash forward is like a self-contained vignette… whatever they ‘saw’ during their flash is all that they can recollect. Others however seem to be recalling feelings or thoughts that they were having and bringing those back in addition to what otherwise would be like trying to reconstruct an experience from visual or auditory memory. So are we saying that some (kids?) seem to bring back a fuller picture including what was in their mind… future memories… because I wasn’t tuned in to that until just now thinking about it.

OK, that’s fairly reasonable …

So the most immediate order of business should have been analyzing every last camera from that stadium to find a face to put on that guy, right?

Super wacky theory here, too wacky to possibly be true… BUT … we saw a few links that place this in the same “universe” as Lost. What if the blackout was caused by the events at the end of the last season of Lost?

I don’t give ABC enough credit to really pull that off, also they have actors shared between the two shows playing different characters which they wouldn’t do if a link between the shows was their intent. But on the surface there are a lot of similarities… time travel through consciousness, etc…

Oh yeah, I got that. I just thought the previews for future shows had some interaction with a future player that shows him being “involved” in some way with the Flash Forward.

The first thought I had when they showed her vision was that it was some guy attached to the conspiracy whom she had dutifully decided to fuck in order to do her part for the team and save the world.

But she seems so genuinely happy as she is staring at him; not a care in the world for the man who presumably is the father of her child and her husband of many years. We are supposed to assume that their rift (which is starting even now but becomes final or permanent in the next 6 months) is due to his falling off the wagon, right? Just seems odd that she has zero regrets. Maybe after 6 years; but all of this begins and ends inside of 6 months.

Yeah, I think they’d be happy to show you a skewed scene to ratchet drama up and then recontextualize it in the future with a bit of fakery.

Also really depends on whether they go with a fixed versus malleable future.

I’d say fixed, if only because a good part of the tension they’ve established in the first place is seeing how they get from A to B …

She could be completely oblivious to his role in it all at that point.

Could be, which would just leave it as unambiguous philandering.

Or they play with the perception angle and her feelings of love are explained due to being her long, lost brother, or something wacky.

I’d just had a flash of an explanation that preserves the integrity of the marriage while being none too ridiculous for television drama.

Well, people have been known to get out of a serious relationship to only jump right into one due to the loss of that closeness. I can easily see her dumping the drunk, saying she was going to take a break, and then easing into a relationship with someone she was familiar with who was already an acquaintenance.

Enough. This is enough thinking about this one facet by me. :)

Mind control! She’s a clone! All of the visions are actually coming from an overlapping parallel universe where she was really the son’s dad’s wife and had never even met drinky agentman!

Yeah, kinda’ arbitrary at this point, when the writers might not even be sure themselves …

That would actually make some sort of sense AND be a workable plotline the writers could exploit. It would explain her and daddy man being together (she left drinky agent guy years ago in that reality), it would explain electrician guy’s dead daughter vision (she’s not dead in bizarro universe) AND it would explain Sulu’s lack of vision (his alter ego doesn’t exist in the other dimension as he’s either dead or never born). The only thing it doesn’t handle neatly is the 6 month date difference, but that could be written away with some clever time distortion mumbo-jumbo when the universes fold into one another.

Hell, you could even write in that the no-sleepy guy from the videotape crossed over during the event and is from the other dimension!

Well, that wraps things up nicely - now how do we explain Cougartown?

Courtney Cox’s character is from an alternate dimension where there really are tons of really hot and sexually frustrated divorced 38-45 year old moms who will have commitment free crazy monkey sex with any guy who so much as looks like he’s interested?

Yeah, I got nothing.

And don’t call “Harold and Kumar’s” Harold Sulu…there’s only one Sulu as far as I’m concerned…what radio show is he on? I forget.

I liked it, but god was there some stupid shit in there.

“It was April 29th, 2010. About half a year from now.” Surely everyone else in the room was thinking OH GEE THANKS I FORGOT WHAT DAY MONTH AND YEAR IT IS RIGHT NOW AND HOW TO DO BASIC MATH.

Everyone in the entire world passed out, we personally see dozens of car wrecks just in FBI guy’s immediate vicinity, plus the burning buildings, 800+ plane crashes, etc. etc. etc. Worldwide devastation. But his wife working at a nearby hospital gets a single injured little boy, and a few hours later she’s relaxing in an empty hallway and sipping coffee.

Boy that CG fire was bad. At least they got a real kangaroo.

And bonus shit points for the dual reaction shots of the two FBI guys when the helicopter fell, even though they were standing right next to each other.

I read Zengo’s first post before watching it and laughed outloud at that horrible 3.87 second running in slow-motion scene.

Seth MacFarlane showing up in the FBI meeting was strange, it’d be interesting if he shows up again. If they can keep the story tight and not just goes out on crazy loops and tangents this could be a great show. Although if I had to guess I’d say it will be good for one season and fall apart if they go much further. I’ll definitely watch next week.