Flashlights are pretty awesome these days

Damn kickstarter sucked me in with this cool solar powered lantern/flashlight - about 2 days to charge completely by solar cell - 15 to 700 hours to discharge (dependent if its on high/150 lumens or low/4 lumens power). Plus USB port.

Can anyone recommend a seller of 18650s? The new flash takes one and while I have a few they’re a bit long in the tooth. Looking for non-Chinese crap that are a decent price.

I may have … erred. Yoyo included for scale.

Also @richvr I use Tenergy they have been reliable for me.

That’s a big flashlight. Are you wielding it as a weapon? I’m assuming 1H blunt skill, but maybe 2H if your STR is low?

I want to see the 5100 Lumens in action though. For all I know you have a literal lightsaber and it will pierce the fog over the Sunless Sea.

That looks like it has a clip for a shoulder strap, to help reduce the weight in hand. :D

I bet if he holds it near a metal door, it melts through like a lightsaber.

THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN.

My favorite light of the past couple years is easily my Klarus XT11GT. 2000 lumens. Excellent UX with three buttons/switches. Easy to charge; just like a phone with micro-USB. Great build quality and warranty. It’s easy to carry, easy to use, and puts out a ton of light.

And then just now I made the mistake of wondering if they’d come out with a successor, and I discovered this. Launched in September.

3200-lumen single-battery monster. Same UX as the XT11GT. Yeah. Took me about a minute before I jammed the order button.

Damn you. I don’t really need another flashlight. Last time I bought one was many years ago in the early days of this thread, when I got all excited over a 200 lumens flashlight, and bought one for no reason, as I didn’t need one then either. It was a $25 Coleman, and it quickly turned into my go-to light, and I am constantly using it, and no other light will do. I truly love the thing, and it is still going strong all these years later after tons of use.

That Klarus you linked actually isn’t much larger than mine, so I found it difficult to believe that such brightness could be achieved from a similar-sized body.

Thus, I turned to YouTube, and found this excellent review of the Klarus XT11X Tactical.

[sigh]

It only made me want it more, in spite of the few negatives he mentions. The main negative for me being that it really does need a brightness setting between “high” (300 lm) and “turbo” (3200 lm). During his testing, the jump between those two settings is jarring, and makes 300 lm look positively anemic (even though that’s 100 more than the light I already own and think is plenty bright enough).

Also, he mentions another negative being the lack of a “tactical ring”. I feel dumb for not knowing this (and a refresher of this thread would probably tell me), but what is a “tactical ring”?

Also, do LED lights this bright get hot? I mean, the LED light bulbs I use at home do get slightly warm, but nowhere near as warm as the old incandescent type, which actually got very hot to the touch.

Yes. They do get hot. My 2000-lumen Klarus XT11GT would sometimes accidentally turn on when it was in its nylon holster, and it melted holes where the beam hit the nylon. (Then I discovered there are ways to lock-out the light to prevent accidental button presses.)

The downside is that unless you’re in a below-freezing environment or underwater, it means these tiny, high-lumen LED flashlights can only hold their maximum output for a few minutes before they start to throttle down to protect themselves. So you could be looking at half or less the maximum output. But that’s still brighter than most consumer flashlights. I was in Costco yesterday and they had a sale on a three-pack of Duracel 500-lumen flashlights for $15. 500 lumens? How quaint.

And tactical rings are for law enforcement or military, so they can hold the light like this.

Very informative. Thanks for answering my questions.
It’s still in my wishlist. I am demonstrating remarkable restraint.

Here’s a 3500-lumen light that has better increments. From Turbo to Eco, lumen output is 3500/1800/540/150/8. It’s single battery, but it uses the larger 26650 battery.

Dude, did you have to post that image as a link? Now I have accidentally visited tactticalgunreview.com and am probably on a watchlist or something, lol.

And now I’ve typed it in an internet post. I’m screwed.

Do those really stand up to a 6-10 foot drop?

Supposedly, but I wouldn’t try it. I once dropped my XT11GT from about 4 onto concrete. Just chipped some of the surface, but works fine.

Zebralight is at it again. This time building a minimalist flashlight around the Muskian 21700 battery (of Gigafactory & Model 3 fame).

Neutral white, 3K lumens. Ordered.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC700d-21700-XHP702-Neutral-White-High-CRI-Flashlight_p_233.html

SC700d thread on Candlepower

Just took a walk at night with the XT11X. but it’s not noticeably brighter than the XT11GT. I think two thinks help the GT. One is that the GT is warmer, while the X is a very neutral white. But the other is that the X is more a flood light, and the GT has a bit more focus to it. Klarus’ specs state that the GT has more range. The X is noticeably lighter (in weight), though.

I also took my XT12GT, which is only 1600 lumens, but it’s much more of a thrower. The beam is considerably tighter and brighter. If you’re ever searching for someone in the dark, this is a light you want.

I think a XT11X with a more-focused head would be pretty damn impressive.

Unmmmm… 4,000-lumens!!!

Klarus XT21X 4000 Lumens CREE XHP70.2 P2 LED Rechargeable Powerful Tactical Flashlight, with 1 x 21700 Battery,SKYBEN Battery Case and USB Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QGTVGNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1PE5CbB96Y0B3

Fuck everything. We’re going to 50,000 lumens.

What kind of bush league garbage are you guys talking?
Cyclops Colossus 18-Million Candlepower Spotlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HY8Q5FA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8xF5Cb9TXGQZP

In lumens, that’s 280,260,000 lumens.

That many lumens should be illegal. I mean, you could take out an airliner with that thing.