Flawed games that did one thing amazing

SCREEEEEEE. That is all.

Marc Ecko’s Getting Up.

Awesome, awesome, sheer fucking amazing music. The final bossfight still stands out just for the music they played.

Climbing and jumping around modern-day New York to recklessly get your tags up where no one else has gone before. Tagging the outside of a moving train. Rappelling down a bridge tower to spray paint a giant message to the cops.

The bad. Loose controls, making the acrobatics less enjoyable.

The combat. The endless combat. The crappy controls for combat.The fact that you have to punch your way through an army of cops and thugs, have a fist to fist showdown with the chief of police on top of a burning building, and yet the story has you wondering why everyone is out to get you for just wanting to put your art up? It might have to do with you throwing construction workers through a fifth floor window.

The game could have been so much better had it made a stealth approach viable, and if you could avoid fighting cops altogether. It’s just a giant failure of execution of what was a great concept.

I’m just gonna come right out and say Fallout 1/2. The ambient music is excellent. I still get the Reno theme stuck in my head on occasion. But goddamn it’s the only game I’ve ever fallen asleep while in combat.

Edite:
And Serious Sam (SE, specifically). Wave after wave of the same ten enemies in relatively simple linear levels. On the other hand, it was really really fun.

You all fail.

Soule’s best is the soundtrack to Total Annihilation.

Icewind Dale!

The problem with Soule’s music is he writes these grand, melodramatic pieces that just happen to swell at the moment I’m stripping a dead moon-sugar smuggler down to his underwear in a swamp cave. This causes me to laugh, and wish they had gone with location specific ambient tracks instead.

Anyway, I’d pick the world design as the strong suit of Morrowind.

Not trying to rile Charles up (more) here, but I thought the character animation in Assassin’s Creed was just amazing but the rest of the game didn’t do much for me. Until it’s surpassed itself, it’s one of those games that I’m going to compare every subsequent game to - for instance, the climbing in the Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena trailer and the demo for the latest Tomb Raider look pretty bad by comparison.

Yet another game that kept me playing it for reasons that make no sense.

Caverns Of Kafka by Cosmi, for the Commadore64.

Game was bad, you could glitch your character into basically air walking, and the random item that you needed to procede to the next screen would be constantly embedded in the damned GROUND!!! But, for the time that the game was released, it had the most moody, and appropriate music that I had ever heard, it was glorious. For that reason alone, I played that game as a kid, just to hear the moody, creepy music, it was hypnotizing.

Supreme Commander. Nice intuitive way to set patrol checkpoints for your flying units and it looked great when they flew. Too bad the rest of the game was terribly unbalanced and the units had to be broken down into little icons for a proper view of the battlefield.

The Bouncer comes to mind for me. Flawed game with shallow combat and tons of previously announced features taken out of the retail release, but damned if I didn’t beat the game three times to see the same story presented from 3 different viewpoints.

One of my favorites, Breakdown. The gunplay was badly flawed which made the beginning absolutely horrible. But I loved the hallucinations and the removal of the HUD three quarters the way through the game. It would have also helped if I didn`t have to discover all the melee combos because I absolutely hate doing that.

This is probably the one to which I can best relate – I remember being excited and enthralled by bullet time, but enraged by the level design (not just the dream sequences) and non-bullet-time combat. I can’t imagine ever playing through the game again, but that one thing it did well was amazing.

As a note, I still have and use my Max Payne mousepad, which came as a pack-in freebie with the PC version.

Me too! high five

Advent Rising: Awful AWFUL game, but an amazing soundtrack. Just to complete the kick in the balls it managed to misuse the soundtrack too.

Rise of the Robots: Contender for worst fighting game ever, but the robots looked great.

I loved Kafka. Forbidden Forest was pretty cool too!

PS: Tetris sucks and Morrowind’s music > Icewind Dale’s music by a country mile. :)

When you say Tetris isn’t flawed you should say Old Tetris, or perhaps Tetris Prior to the Infinite Spin Rule. Because all new official versions of Tetris are flawed with this rule.

Ascendancy… wonderful, imaginative artwork… crappy AI.

ICO.

Gorgeous graphics, mood and themes that draw you in… and gameplay and controls that makes you want to reach through the screen and slap Horned Boy in the right direction.

Delta Force. Huge maps and 1+ km view distance. Rest was more or less as crap as any first person shooter gets.

Respectfully

krise madsen

You know, I think this is the first time I have ever seen this happen on the internet. +1 for you.

Don’t you go dissing my Delta Force now, bitch :P